• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool D: Ireland vs. Canada (19/09/2015)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
vTRhZ65.png

Ireland.png
Versus%20Telstra.png
Canada.png

Millenium Stadium, Cardiff (19/09/2015, 14:30)
Pool D, Round 1

Referee: Glen Jackson
23px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png

Teams

Ireland: TBA

Canada: 1 Hubert Buydens, 2 Ray Barkwill, 3 Doug Wooldridge, 4 Brett Beukeboom, 5 Jamie Cudmore (c), 6 Kyle Gilmour, 7 John Moonlight, 8 Aaron Carpenter, 9 Gordon McRorie, 10 Nathan Hirayama, 11 DTH Van Der Merwe, 12 Nick Blevins, 13 Ciaran Hearn, 14 Jeff Hassler, 15 Matt Evans

Replacements: 16 Benoit Piffero, 17 Djustics Sears-Duru, 18 Andrew Tiedemann, 19 Jebb Sinclair, 20 Richard Thorpe, 21 Phil Mack, 22 Liam Underwood, 23 Conor Trainor

Last edited:
Expecting Ireland to quietly win this one. I assume as everyone says that Schmidt is biding his time and wont truly unleash until the France game. However lets not get a repeat of 2007... (oh dear god)

I feel a little sorry for Canada this time around ... they'll put up a fight, and give some of the bigger teams a good game, but it's hard to see them winning any of them ... Ireland should be able to ease their way into the tournament.

The 2007 tournament was a painful time to be an Irish supporter alright. I'd imagine he will show his true hand during the first game and hit the ground running in the lead up to France. We need to build up some serious momentum going into that game

McGrath
Cronin
Moore
Ryan
Henderson
POM
SOB
Heaslip
Murray
Sexton
Kearney
Henshaw
Payne
Bowe
Kearney

Strauss
Healy
Ross
Toner
Murphy
Reddan
Madigan
Fitz

Please. Give the first choice front five a run against the Romanians and have everyone nice and fresh to smash the Italians and then the Frenchies!

McGrath
Cronin
Moore
Ryan
Henderson
POM
SOB
Heaslip
Murray
Sexton
Kearney
Henshaw
Payne
Bowe
Kearney

Strauss
Healy
Ross
Toner
Murphy
Reddan
Madigan
Fitz

Please. Give the first choice front five a run against the Romanians and have everyone nice and fresh to smash the Italians and then the Frenchies!

Moore isn't in the squad...

I don't know why want a full strength team everywhere except the front five?

I definitely want Healy to start. He needs as much time as possible and if he starts then we can take him off if there's a problem.

Moore isn't in the squad...

I don't know why want a full strength team everywhere except the front five?

I definitely want Healy to start. He needs as much time as possible and if he starts then we can take him off if there's a problem.

White sorry, putting Moore in after Ross seems natural these days... I think the front five would be better served with a run against Romania with the rest better off against Canada. I'd be surprised if Healy has a start in him yet. Give him 30 mins Saturday, 50 vs Romainia and see how he goes from there.

Seems Schmidt wants to play best team here. Rest few against Romania then it's all go after that.

Feel like Henderson could really announce himself on the international stage this tournament so would like to see a back row of Henderson, O'Brien and Heaslip for this game.

If Healy could play as well that would give us a hugely powerful pack

If we power through the forwards, we should be able to blow the Canadians away. Not looking for a huge score but a clinical performance as that is where the group will be won or lost.

Why is that? Do they see that as his natural best position or do they think he is good enough to become class in that position because of his talent?

Why is that? Do they see that as his natural best position or do they think he is good enough to become class in that position because of his talent?

More he will be our main lock after RWC. and that's where he's needed best

White sorry, putting Moore in after Ross seems natural these days... I think the front five would be better served with a run against Romania with the rest better off against Canada. I'd be surprised if Healy has a start in him yet. Give him 30 mins Saturday, 50 vs Romainia and see how he goes from there.

He can still play 30 minutes if he starts...In fact if he's on the bench he could end up playing 78. Canada's week scrum is the perfect way to get him back and firing.

Pity.... he's the best 6 in the squad.

I'm huge Pom fan as I'm from Munster. They're 2 fabulous players but totally different but I think as the years go on you'll see Henderson be solely a lock in same way Donnacha Ryan learnt his trade.

15. Rob Kearney
14. Dave Kearney
13. Jared Payne
12. Luke Fitzgerald
11. Keith Earls
10. Johnny Sexton
9. Conor Murray

1. Jack McGrath
2. Rory Best
3. Mike Ross
4. Iain Henderson
5. Paul O'Connell (captain)
6. Peter O'Mahony
7. Sean O'Brien
8. Jamie Heaslip

Replacements:

16. Sean Cronin
17. Cian Healy
18. Nathan White
19. Donnacha Ryan
20. Chris Henry
21. Eoin Reddan
22. Ian Madigan
23. Simon Zebo

Fitzgerald at 12? Really? Apart from that happy enough - Bowe hasn't done enough for selection and delighted Henderson is in there.

Bowe hasn't done enough for selection

To be honest, I don't think Bowe should ever have been there in the first place. Steadily losing form for quite a while and no sign of stopping the rot.

Fitzgerald at 12? Really?

Right decision, after Henshaw we don't have an international standard 12 and Fitz is the best back outside the 1st XV not to mention his experience in the centre and he's likely to be number 23 in the big games so having him play in as many positions as possible before those is a good thing. The only mistake Schmidt has shown in picking Fitz is having Cave in the squad at all, surely we'd have been better served with an extra loosehead or scrum half?!

Overall I'm delighted with the team, somewhat Earls over Bowe is an excellent move because it'll either kick Tommy into form or we'll have an on form Keith Earls keeping him out, very few international sides who don't wear black would complain about that scenario especially considering Luke Fitz and Simon Zebo are still options. Biggest loser has to be Devon Toner.

Latest posts