• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Pool D: Italy vs. Romania (11/10/2015)

Peat

International
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Ulster
vTRhZ65.png

Italy.png
Versus%20Telstra.png
Romania.png

Sandy Park, Exeter (11-10-2015, 14:30)
Pool D, Round 4

Romaine Poite
23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png

A bit of history: Romania has played against Italy 41 times, winning 16 games, with 3 draws and 22 Italian wins. The biggest Romanian win was in 1977, when Italy was defeated 69-0 in Bucharest.

Last 3 matches:
2002 - Italy vs Romania 25-17 (Parma, RWC qualifier)
2004 - Romania vs Italy 25-24 (Bucharest, test match) - last time Italy played against the Oaks outside the RWC
2007 - Italy vs Romania 24-18 (Marseille, RWC 2007)

Two players from the squad that won the match in 2004 are still in the team: flanker Vali Ursache (who will be the captain after the ridiculous suspension of Macovei) and prop Paulica Ion.

- - - Updated - - -

Romania:
1. Mihaita Lazar
2. Otar Turashvili
3. Paulica Ion
4. Valentin Poparlan
5. Johannes Van Heerden
6. Valentin Ursache (cpt)
7. Viorel Lucaci
8. Daniel Carpo
9. Valentin Calafeteanu
10. Michael Wiringi
11. Ionut Botezatu
12. Florin Vlaicu
13. Paula Kinikinilau
14. Madalin Lemnaru
15. Catalin Fercu

16. Andrei Radoi, 17. Andrei Ursache, 18. Horatiu Pungea, 19.Marius Antonescu, 20. Stelian Burcea, 21. Tudorel Bratu, 22. Csaba Gal, 23.Adrian Apostol

Italy:
1. Matias Aguero
2. Andrea Manici
3. Lorenzo Cittadini
4. Quentin Geldenhuys (captain)
5. Josh Furno
6. Francesco Minto
7. Simone Favaro
8. Alessandro Zanni
9. Edoardo Gori
10. Tommaso Allan
11. Giovanbattista Venditti
12. Tommaso Benvenuti
13. Michele Campagnaro
14. Leonardo Sarto
15. Luke McLean

16. Davide Giazzon, 17. Alberto De Marchi,18. Dario Chistolini, 19. Valerio Bernabò, 20. Samuela Vunisa, 21. Guglielmo Palazzani, 22. Carlo Canna, 23. Enrico Bacchin

Well, it will be close, I am pretty sure of this. Good luck Oaks!

Last edited:
How good a chance do you guys think you have of pulling this off?

I estimated a 35% chance but Macovei will be missed. However, I think Parisse off the field will impact more on Italy.

For those who did not saw it, here's the tackle for which Macovei was banned 2 weeks:
http://gfycat.com/PepperyPartialGalago

How good a chance do you guys think you have of pulling this off?

All things considered (4-day rest, Macovei suspension, George Clancy), I'd say maybe 20%.

This will be one of the most important matches in Romanian rugby history, I think. If the Oaks win, rugby in Romania could rise from about the 7th sport in the pecking order to the top 3. The comeback against Canada has already made headlines in the mainstream media, who rarely mention rugby. The rugby players are given as an example to our pathetic football team, who failed to beat Finland and now plays a decisive "derby" against the Faroe Islands.

Even if Romania is a pretty poor country, the TV market here generates significant revenues. According to unofficial information, the current RWC made much higher ratings than any past rugby event. A win today would increase them even further and there would be a boom in interest for the sport, making it commercially attractive for the advertising market. It would also increase public investment in rugby clubs and facilities, politicians would be very quick to jump on the bandwagon. The result would be a true rebirth of Romanian rugby.

If we win, it would also shake the foundations of international rugby, since a Tier 1 nation would fail to qualify for the next RWC. All Tier 2 nations would benefit from this scenario.

Come on the Oaks!

this tmo try is golden ahah
and this rugby league try even better! I love romania

Man I am so frustrated that we didn't believe enough in ourselves, this game was decided in the first half when we couldn't score a try on those 1 m phases from the try line, but instead got a yellow afterwards and allowed some easy tries...

Man I am so frustrated that we didn't believe enough in ourselves, this game was decided in the first half when we couldn't score a try on those 1 m phases from the try line, but instead got a yellow afterwards and gave some easy tries...

That yellow by Van Heerden was so stupid and was the real killer. Also, you guys don't rate your backs enough. Fercu and Vlaicu are class players.

Big shame Romania couldn't get their game going until the second half... happily that's the half I decided to watch :lol:

So frustrating!

I think Howells made a big mistake today (can't blame him though, I would have probabaly done the same) by using the best starting XV, even if they were exhausted due to the short turnaround. Some of them were too tired, defended poorly, and it costed the Oaks the match due to their missed tackles in the first half (especially Ion, V. Ursache and Wiringi). As soon as fresh players came on at half time, Romania was on top.

Despite the defeat, the fact that Italy could only win by 10 against a tired Romanian team without its leader (who was suspended for ridiculous reasons to help Italy), is yet another proof that the Six Nations must be opened with a promotion/relegation playoff or extended to 8 teams. If Romania would have played in the 6N since 2000, I can guarantee that we would have improved way above Italy's current level. Also, if Italy had the short turnaround instead of us, we probably would have won. I don't think Italy can beat us in Bucharest. Romania (and Georgia) deserves equal chances.

As a sidenote, everyone thinks Romanian backs are poor. But once we had nothing to lose in the second half and they were allowed to run the ball, they made great ground against the Italians, who finished the match on the ropes with the Oaks spreading the ball wide from our own 22.

Some summer Tests vs. the likes of Scotland, Italy and England Saxons would be nice, for a beginning. The Nations Cup tournament has long served its purpose, time to step to a new level of challenge.

Last edited:

Latest posts