• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Quarter Final 1: South Africa vs. Wales (17/10/2015)

The Welsh can be proud after stats like these in the second half (at different times)

Attachments

• 1445105900688.jpg
    1445105900688.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 1445105933827.jpg
    1445105933827.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 37
I had nightmares of the 2011 QF loss to Aussie where we also let in a soft try and dominated all facets other than the scoreboard. At least this time FdP got in for his try. But well played, Wales. It really could've gone either way and I'll comment further once my nerves calm down.

Remember 95? No? Well maybe s bit of a history lesson will dull your arrogance. Any team, on any can take the game!

Remember 95? No? Well maybe s bit of a history lesson will dull your arrogance. Any team, on any can take the game!

I remember 95. I remember Jeff Wilson and co throwing up on the sideline.... Oh wait that was 20 years ago I guess I can let it go.

I've just about stopped wrecking the house now, not out of anger but frustration and disappointment. Wayne Barnes i thought had a good day, pretty fair to both sides, we tried hard but failed and came so close in a heroic effort, we lost on discipline, too many penalties in kickable range. Strong in defence once again (both sides) can't fault the effort and SA just nicked it. Congratulations South Africa and well played. Good luck for the rest of the tournament. Sorry SA but i think it's going to be NZ all the way again.

I remember 95. I remember Jeff Wilson and co throwing up on the sideline.... Oh wait that was 20 years ago I guess I can let it go.

You just suck at hiring the right waitresses to poison people, get over it. Only we can do that.

Anyway back on topic.

Game killed me, well played Wales, hard luck. I thought you guys played a bit better overall.

You just suck at hiring the right waitresses to poison people, get over it. Only we can do that.

Anyway back on topic.

Game killed me, well played Wales, hard luck. I thought you guys played a bit better overall.

Yep nuff said about that.

I just saw the replay on the Bok scrum move and its a beautiful thing to watch. They just worked that so well.

I've just about stopped wrecking the house now, not out of anger but frustration and disappointment. Wayne Barnes i thought had a good day, pretty fair to both sides, we tried hard but failed and came so close in a heroic effort, we lost on discipline, too many penalties in kickable range. Strong in defence once again (both sides) can't fault the effort and SA just nicked it. Congratulations South Africa and well played. Good luck for the rest of the tournament. Sorry SA but i think it's going to be NZ all the way again.

Don't be so quick to write off the Springboks. Every kid in SA dreams of playing and beating the All Blacks. This is a very young team. Heyneke doesn't have a great record against Hansen, but it's the first time they're meeting in a World Cup. Anything can happen.

Last edited:
I could be being a bit harsh because I'm a big fan of his and hoped he'd play well but Anscombe was pretty dire today wasn't he?

Every time he touched the ball he was mud, and every time he kicked the ball he was mud. I thought Hook was coming on to replace him and was shocked the centre came off.

Think I need to go to the cardiologist after this game :eek: Great game the Welsh played!

Quite gutted this morning , could post last night I was too inebriated.
Very close game, moments of magic from both teams thought the biggar Garry Owen and pass to Davies was superb not much could of been done to stop that, also hata off to SA for their try , great offload well worked and agon a fair try.
Thought Barnes gave a couple of soft pens to the boks in the first half but overall I can't moan about his performance.
Pretty upbeat now for the 6 nations going on what we have achieved this tournament with the injuries we've had and the players that are coming back we are going to be a force that's for sure.
As far as the tournament goes and after watching NZ annihilate France , I really can't look past them they are a phenomenal team and that savea try when he bounced 3 French off him ..superb! You don't fancy swapping him for Cuthbert do you???

Wales really had that for the taking but unfortunately their injuries caught up on them. SA knew Biggar was the only player in red who could kick a football and, with the exception of Le Roux's brainfart for the try, the back three positioned themselves perfectly whenever he had the ball, not allowing him to put in any impressive kicks. Scott or Liam Williams or Halfpenny would have been enough to book the Welsh a very intimidating date with New Zealand next week.

As for SA, when did you lot forget that holding on to the ball in contact was important? Continue like they did at the breakdown and contact area next week and New Zealand could have another 50 point drubbing. The centres have to be more involved next week and the back three need to show serious improvement. That front 5 is world class though. I think it might be four years early for this boks side but as they know better than anyone it's been a tournament for the underdogs and they, unlike the French, will put up a fight.

All Ill say after this is Im looking at a Welsh 6N and possibly a grand slam, though to be fair Ireland are their only real challenge... Dark days for northern rugby

Still a bit gutted after yesterdays game, but very much proud of this welsh team's effort in the face of some difficult circumstances. I think Jonathan Davies has been the biggest loss to this welsh team. We've got no one at 13 who is at his level and it really took the sting out of the attacking potential of the back line.

Well played SA. Even I applauded the Du Preez try, despite knowing it was probably the end of Wales' run, as it was a fantastic bit of skill.

What a semi final next week! I hope SA give it a good go. I think a lot of people are saying they are a poor side. Sure they aren't as well versed and settled as NZ are, but I think there's a lot of potential in that Boks side and you'd write them off at your peril!

What a semi final next week! I hope SA give it a good go. I think a lot of people are saying they are a poor side. Sure they aren't as well versed and settled as NZ are, but I think there's a lot of potential in that Boks side and you'd write them off at your peril!

I agree, they can come out firing on the day, and at the very least will make the ABs play for the win.

Boks will be tough, they always are, but they are playing one dimensional rugby and Wayne Barnes was their best weapon against the Welsh.
He pinged Wales constantly for hands in the ruck and for offside, which is appropriate, but there Saffers were doing it just as much and he let it go.
There's the game right there.
When Wayne Barnes referees a game they are generally dull affairs, when Nigel Owens referees a game it flows and the teams play each other not the whistle.

All Ill say after this is Im looking at a Welsh 6N and possibly a grand slam, though to be fair Ireland are their only real challenge... Dark days for northern rugby

Oh! those Ireland v Wales games always bring something special to the turf. Looking forward to the 6 N's now. :cool:

I'm obviously thrilled we won. Thought our back row in particular were great.
We're still far to one-dimensional though, the backs still only get about a fifth of the ball and Pollard and DDA maybe need to pass a bit more (despite both being good carriers).

If we can win playing like we are I'd be thrilled but it's going to be a tall order. A couple break away tries from Wales would have buried us, which is something NZ is certainly capable of. I'll remain hopeful, but ultimately making the semis is respectable, especially considering our rough year.

Cuthbert should never have been in the squad in my opinion, as he was a liability from the start with poor attempts at defending and his ball handling was very poor. We missed try opportunities because of him. :mad:

- - - Updated - - -

Cuthbert should never have been picked for the team as he hasn't been at his best for a while now. I feel he was to blame for the Bok try as he should have been closer to the try line. As for Anscombe, he was just not ready for such big games and not his fault. He will be in a year or two though I feel. Hookie just didn't get a chance to shine and we all know why don't we! Maybe Wales coaching staff will learn from this!!!

Had a bit of time to digest the game now, and to calm down from the initial relentless sinking feeling in my chest. Congratulations South Africa, they really closed the game out well and professionally, again probably showing the tiny difference between the north and south that still remains. It was one of those games where luck didn't seem to go our way again, but I'm still proud of the performance from the team overall.

Wales' defence was superb for most of the game, and I think it's a real positive that they only conceded 3 tries in the whole tournament (correct me on that if I'm wrong). Shaun Edwards MUST STAY. He would be the biggest loss in that backroom set up.

Faletau was awesome, I'd say he could argue a claim for best No.8 in the world currently. He just never has a bad game, I don't think I've seen a more consistent player for Wales in my whole life of watching rugby. Biggar was great again and is beginning to add a new attacking dimension to his game (the presence of mind and skill in executing the set up of Davies' try was something we rarely see in Wales' attacking game these days, so that was refreshing). Charteris had a poorer game than I hoped, giving away silly penalties and missing glaring overlaps when the ball should have been thrown out wide to finish off moves. But I think if Wales can iron out these flaws and show a bit more of a connect between forwards and backs and knowing when to go out wide, I think we will stand a good chance in the Six Nations.

But generally, pleased with Wales overall and proud of the performances in spite of the constant major disruption and injuries to players. And to the twitter users who are hurling verbal abuse at Cuthbert, you should all be ashamed of yourselves. That goes for Andy Powell too, who recently posted a video or something taking the p**s out of Cuthbert. If I remember correctly, you went through a lengthy poor patch in your short-lived Wales career yourself Andy. It gets ridiculous when "fans" are making things personal. Leave the guy alone, let him go back to his club and regain some form, and stop hiding behind your keyboards - I'm pretty sure none of these people would tell Cuthbert face-to-face what they have said to him online.

Last edited:

Latest posts