• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Quarter Final 2: New Zealand vs. France (17/10/2015)

It certainly was an issue a few years back in Auckland; Pacific Islanders seem to physically mature quicker, but I believe that there are now weight divisions that you can play your rugby in (you can't play in some divisions if you are over a particular weight), so it probably isn't an issue anymore

This seems a very good idea, I don't know if it is the case everywhere, but it would encourage smaller boys, who may become bigger boys, to play. (Oh, and girls too!)

Yes in NZ there are weight divisions. Open grade and restricted grade. Usually in the restricted grade everyone is much smaller including props. I reckon it's more a thing about upbringing as any footage of Pacific islanders in Auckland in the 70s/80s will show much more skinnier folk than now. Fast food has become a way of life for many and it is dirt cheap compared to the healthy stuff. I've seen my own relatives who are part Polynesian get out muscled in school sports by bigger Islanders, I've just thought to myself that they've got to play harder and spend more time in the gym. I too have been injured by a bigger guy and injured smaller guys and been absolutely smashed by a smaller guy. Rugby just is a tough sport and I think it's more about technique than raw strength.

It's a good thing that head and spinal injuries are being focused on though. It's never good that guys have their lives changed i.e. rest of life in a wheelchair because of a game. It's kind of against our rugby culture to get off the field for a concussion test for instance, i.e. said player may be perceived as weak, but over time attitudes should change

Last edited:
This seems a very good idea, I don't know if it is the case everywhere, but it would encourage smaller boys, who may become bigger boys, to play. (Oh, and girls too!)

Speaking of weight restrictions There's also a men's under 85kg comp in auckland ( not too sure about the rest if the country) it's awesome watching the little blokes getting around the field, I swear their games could last for 160 minutes instead of 80.

Latest posts