• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Quarter Final 3: Ireland vs. Argentina (18/10/2015)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
vTRhZ65.png

Ireland.png
Versus%20Telstra.png
Argentina.png

Millennium Stadium, Cardiff (18/10/2015, 16:00)
Quarter Final 3

Referee: Jérôme Garcès
23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png

Last edited:
This is the tie of the round for me (although Wales-SA runs it close).

I've seen a lot of talk of Argentina being a "Dark Horse", well to me that massively underestimates them - they are a serious rugby team, and have a serious chance against Ireland. With Ireland's injury problems I might even put them favourites.

Either way, what a game it's going to be. A lot will come down to how well Ireland kick, and how well the Pumas' back three counter.

As I stated previously, I think Argentina's way overrated in the WC. I think Ireland will close them out the same way NZ did in the pools.Will be a close game, Ireland by less than 10. If they prove me wrong, so be it.

Going to be a tough game and we really can't afford to be complacent against arguably the form team of this tournament.

Key is to stifle their wide play and menace their breakdown. Two-man tackles to counter the offloads they try and pull off.

As I stated previously, I think Argentina's way overrated in the WC. I think Ireland will close them out the same way NZ did in the pools.Will be a close game, Ireland by less than 10. If they prove me wrong, so be it.

What makes you say that?

What makes you say that?

They won one game against a poor South Africa. Next game they lost against us. In the WC they've been tested once and they lost that game(against the AB's). I just can't see why everyone is making such a big thing about them. Don't get me wrong, I think the one team they can beat in the top 5 is SA(our rugby is not in a good place). I think they punch above their own weight at the moment because they are playing good rugby, but I still think they will lose 9/10 times against the other top sides.

This game will be huge!

The irish injury replacements have different skillsets than the men they could replace, but if Paul O'Connell is out, the blow is not as big because of the emergence of that sleepy looking terror called Iain Henderson, though he could play 6 and have donnacha Ryan in at lock

Madigan, I have underestimated but i don't think he's consistent enough as an out-half, however I havent seen him have a bad game for Ireland in a long time so credit where it's due, and he kicked his goals well.

If Earls is injured, well he dropped the ball with the tryline begging, I am not going to be disappointed if he's injured and I think he should be dropped, as he doesnt have BMT, in my personal opinion. It could be a one-off incident but I've seen him make silly errors before. Cave/Fitzgerald would be possibly even better replacements!

Peter O'Mahony has been fantastic, and here's hoping he'll make a recovery. If not, and SOB is cited and banned as will probably happen, then a backrow of Henderson, Henry and Heaslip would be intriguing, with the way Henderson has influenced games, Henry's ability over the ball as an out and out fetcher, and then Heaslip's all round game, I think that's a tough backrow.

The irish squad is so deep with talent and ability, and although Argentina have been very strong and will be rested, I can see Ireland winning by over 7 points, particularly given how they dismantled the French pack in the last 20 minutes, and how strong they were against a team who have some serious power in their ranks. Then again I am a bit biased being Irish and all!

- - - Updated - - -

They won one game against a poor South Africa. Next game they lost against us. In the WC they've been tested once and they lost that game(against the AB's). I just can't see why everyone is making such a big thing about them. Don't get me wrong, I think the one team they can beat in the top 5 is SA(our rugby is not in a good place). I think they punch above their own weight at the moment because they are playing good rugby, but I still think they will lose 9/10 times against the other top sides.

Let's not talk about SA here eh?

Let's not talk about SA here eh?

He isn't, he was talking about Argentina while answering a question as to why he thinks Argentina is overrated. He just used their matches against SA as an example.

I don't understand what you mean by that - surely if they are playing good rugby, and winning, then that is a fair representation of their ability?

I take your point that they are inconsistent, certainly - good against SA, but rubbish the second time and pretty poor against Australia. But a lot of international sides are inconsistent, Australia themselves followed a momentous win against NZ with a pretty embarrassing loss. They do have issues, and I think the issues they have will especially count against them in knockout rugby, but all teams have strengths and weaknesses, and if their strengths come to the fore on any given day they'll win, if they don't they'll lose.

For my money, the Pumas need a better kicking game, and a more aggressive defence. It's too easy, at the moment, for a strong, disciplined team to force them to defend without rest because they lack the ability to relieve the pressure. Like against NZ, yes they can defend valiantly and heroically for long periods and get plaudits for their commitment and organisation. But tackle, tackle, tackle is not enough (I know, I'm English) - a defensive structure needs ways to turn that defence into attack, either through turnovers at the breakdown or through aggressive defence which moves the opposition backwards until they are forced to give the ball back to you. Argentina don't have this. However, kick badly against them, and/or allow them to smash you in the scrums and your game can unravel, leaving them with space to run those backs at you. It's all about who executes their gameplan better on the day.

Maybe it's just a wording thing, I don't think we're fundamentally disagreeing - I just see them . I wouldn't distinguish them fundamentally from that group of teams which, if things go their way, have a realistic chance of winning the tournament. But then, I thought England were part of that group so what the hell do I know ... !

The Pumas are as usual one of the most dangerous team to play, good luck Ireland you will need some..
Seriously, playing against New Zealand or Argentina, this is all the same, choose your executioner.
I still think Ireland should win but this is kind of 55% / 45%

I think this is going to be the best game of the tournament so far if the teams want to play rugby. I see some scenarios:

-Ireland controls the game and the pumas never find the way to play their new style. Ireland wins.
-Argentina gets decent balls and therefor, good occasions to run. Argentina wins.

And then, more or less, everything else is a mix of those.

I am really not that concerned about Ireland, the only thing that they have better than us is their couple of centers, they are very strong and very big and I don't really trust Hernández that much. Sánchez is a top tier defender, and probably would be a good idea to bring Agulla in and let Imhoff or Cordero for the later game. Our pack is second to none and the backs are on fire, so we can make it.

This is danger with Argentina, they are not impressive, almost never but at the end of the 80 minutes your team is defeated.

This game will be huge!

The irish injury replacements have different skillsets than the men they could replace, but if Paul O'Connell is out, the blow is not as big because of the emergence of that sleepy looking terror called Iain Henderson, though he could play 6 and have donnacha Ryan in at lock

Madigan, I have underestimated but i don't think he's consistent enough as an out-half, however I havent seen him have a bad game for Ireland in a long time so credit where it's due, and he kicked his goals well.

If Earls is injured, well he dropped the ball with the tryline begging, I am not going to be disappointed if he's injured and I think he should be dropped, as he doesnt have BMT, in my personal opinion. It could be a one-off incident but I've seen him make silly errors before. Cave/Fitzgerald would be possibly even better replacements!

Peter O'Mahony has been fantastic, and here's hoping he'll make a recovery. If not, and SOB is cited and banned as will probably happen, then a backrow of Henderson, Henry and Heaslip would be intriguing, with the way Henderson has influenced games, Henry's ability over the ball as an out and out fetcher, and then Heaslip's all round game, I think that's a tough backrow.

The irish squad is so deep with talent and ability, and although Argentina have been very strong and will be rested, I can see Ireland winning by over 7 points, particularly given how they dismantled the French pack in the last 20 minutes, and how strong they were against a team who have some serious power in their ranks. Then again I am a bit biased being Irish and all!

I agree with you.

I think we should train under the assumption SOB, POC, POM and Sexton will not be playing - I don't think 'waiting on fitness' do the moral of the other players any good as they should be encouraged to do a job. Madigan should be training as the 10 to get the combinations with Henshaw (who really was outstanding yesterday).

The backrow of Henderson, Henry and Heaslip is actually incredibly balanced - not too worried there but we may be spread think with their replacements.

1) - Healy
2) - Best
3) - Ross
4) - Toner
5) - Ryan
6) - Henderson
7) - Henry
8) - Heaslip
9) - Murray
10) - Madigan
11) - D Kearney
12) - Henshaw
13) - Fitz
14) - Bowe
15) - R Kearney

I agree dunney but Smidth would probably start earls again in centre ahead of fitz. POC and POM are gone, Johnny is probably 50/50 for next weeks game but 7 days is a good break so you never know. SOB will be cited and get 1 week minimum but ireland have options! We were so lucky until now with injuries :(. Paul O'Connell will never wear green again what an outstanding player he has been!

question: who will smidth call into the squad for POC and POM ?

Last edited:
I agree dunney but Smidth would probably start earls again in centre ahead of fitz. POC and POM are gone, Johnny is probably 50/50 for next weeks game but 7 days is a good break so you never know. SOB will be cited and get 1 week minimum but ireland have options! We were so lucky until now with injuries. Paul O'Connell will never wear green again what an outstanding player he has been!

I've never hugged as many middle aged men as I did in that stadium.

Also fair play to the French fans, who were also outstanding. Saw a group clapping the irish fans outside the stadium - was a cauldron in there!

Perhaps I just have the Earls dropped ball at the front of my mind but defensively he proved himself as a 13!

I don't understand what you mean by that - surely if they are playing good rugby, and winning, then that is a fair representation of their ability?

When they play against smaller teams they look good, playing brilliant rugby and winning. When they play against top teams they play good rugby and lose. Maybe I should just leave it at that. It's starting to sound as if I have something against Argentina, and I don't. I like they type of rugby they play.

Latest posts