• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Quarter Final 3: Ireland vs. Argentina (18/10/2015)

It's going to be horrible if Ireland get to the final and then get annihilated 60-0 by the ABs lol

i'd sure be happy with a 60 - 0 ab final win. the icing on the cake would be that meant ireland knocked out aussie. Auckland went crazy when the irish beat them in 2011

sounds like you're describing Jackson. I just don't always trust him, I've seen him choke too many times playing for Ulster. There's no doubt he can play, and he's a decent player, I'm just not sure he's near the same quality as Madigan or Sexton - he seems to be so hit and miss sometimes. His lack of match time really doesn't help cement any trust in him, imo.

Iain Henderson was fantastic last week. It's fair to say he's always fantastic, but he just seems to keep going. And to play the way he does at only 23, in a few years he's going to be an absolute monster.

I do think it'll be a different type of game, having lost Sexton, POM, SOB and POC we've lost the key figures, but we do have experience and talent and players who can (or most of them can) step up and contribute.

Is there a definite, confirmed update on Jared Payne's replacement yet? Is there even a point looking for a replacement until after the Argentina game?
Take it it doesn't look like Trimble will be called up after all.

Isaac Boss was called up Friday to replace Payne. It was announced yesterday.

Had a dream we were down 32-8 at half time...
Having said that, I'm quietly confident about today. Joe Schmidt is too good a coach to not have these boys ready.

I reckon Schmidt and the coaching team knew all week that Sexton was never going to play. Think they wanted people to think he was going to play but there have been reports all week that Sexton has been helping Madigan etc. Argies, like France with Payne last year, would've been preparing for Sexton until yesterday. Now they've got to prepare for Madigan...

Sexton is who our gameplan is based around, I can't understand how people aren't more worried. I mean I'm usually an optimist and Madigan was good last week but this is a WC quarter final vs a very good Argentina team. I really hope he can do it but despite a long career there's not enough evidence that Madigan can be the player we need him to be. Especially when more than Sexton or Jackson he relies on his forward pack beating up the other team.

In a match where we're missing three starters in the pack and are playing one of the tougher packs, I'm very nervous.

I really hope we can do it but it would take something we've never seen from Madigan before.

There's a reason that before the tournament started everyone said if we lost Sexton that we'd be ****ed.

I believe in the system and the quality of our replacement is a higher standard then we've had before but we're definitely not favorites. Doesn't mean we can't win of course but it really will be some achievement if we do.

Sexton is who our gameplan is based around, I can't understand how people aren't more worried. I mean I'm usually an optimist and Madigan was good last week but this is a WC quarter final vs a very good Argentina team. I really hope he can do it but despite a long career there's not enough evidence that Madigan can be the player we need him to be. Especially when more than Sexton or Jackson he relies on his forward pack beating up the other team.

In a match where we're missing three starters in the pack and are playing one of the tougher packs, I'm very nervous.

I really hope we can do it but it would take something we've never seen from Madigan before.

There's a reason that before the tournament started everyone said if we lost Sexton that we'd be ****ed.

I believe in the system and the quality of our replacement is a higher standard then we've had before but we're definitely not favorites. Doesn't mean we can't win of course but it really will be some achievement if we do.

If you believe that then you have no belief in this team. We make do with what we have. Joe Schmidt is not going to build a game plan around Sexton alone. If you think that then I don't think you know this team very well. Schmidt will have been prepared for a scenario like this, and I am 90% sure he knew Sexton was never going to play this weekend. If we still believe that we can only win if we have 2 or 3 important players on the team then we don't deserve to win. And that's not the case. Have belief in the lads stepping up today. If we don't believe in them then who will? No point in being negative about what could've been if Sexton had been fit.

If you believe that then you have no belief in this team. We make do with what we have. Joe Schmidt is not going to build a game plan around Sexton alone. If you think that then I don't think you know this team very well. Schmidt will have been prepared for a scenario like this, and I am 90% sure he knew Sexton was never going to play this weekend. If we still believe that we can only win if we have 2 or 3 important players on the team then we don't deserve to win. And that's not the case. Have belief in the lads stepping up today. If we don't believe in them then who will? No point in being negative about what could've been if Sexton had been fit.

Well that's insulting.

Didn't I say I believe in the system? Anyone who looks can see that our success is built around our halfbacks. Of course Schmidt will build around certain players when you have the best outhalf in the world you base yourselves around him, that's the way it goes. It's bloody natural that when you lose the best in the world and end up with someone who at best is outside the top 10 starting that your team will suffer and I have every right to be nervous. Yes Schmidt will have planned for life without Sexton doesn't mean he would want it or that he's incredibly confident in it or that it's as good a plan.

Take out Retallick, Kaino, McCaw, Carter and C. Smith out of the NZ team and suddenly you'll find some NZ fans aren't as confident, it's natural. Us deserving to win will never have a single thing to do with what any fan thinks so I have no idea why on earth you put that in. I'm still supporting them and never said we can't win. This is a discussion forum so that's why there a point in having a discussion about the difference if he was fit.

I've watched every single minute of rugby this team has played, watched a number of press conferences, spoken with one of the analysts about the team and watched nearly every provincial game these guys have played in the last few years so excuse me but I do think that I know this team very well thank you. It is a very reasonable to think that since we've lost 5 of our most key players that we're not exactly favorites anymore against a very good team. That's not negative that's realistic and respectful of the opposition. So don't tell me that if I believe what I said that I have no belief in the team because that's a crock of ****e.

While I understand what your saying I think fact Schmidt has put a lot in to Madigan that'll hopefully reap rewards.

Well that's insulting.

Didn't I say I believe in the system? Anyone who looks can see that our success is built around our halfbacks. Of course Schmidt will build around certain players when you have the best outhalf in the world you base yourselves around him, that's the way it goes. It's bloody natural that when you lose the best in the world and end up with someone who at best is outside the top 10 starting that your team will suffer and I have every right to be nervous. Yes Schmidt will have planned for life without Sexton doesn't mean he would want it or that he's incredibly confident in it or that it's as good a plan.

Take out Retallick, Kaino, McCaw, Carter and C. Smith out of the NZ team and suddenly you'll find some NZ fans aren't as confident, it's natural. Us deserving to win will never have a single thing to do with what any fan thinks so I have no idea why on earth you put that in. I'm still supporting them and never said we can't win. This is a discussion forum so that's why there a point in having a discussion about the difference if he was fit.

I've watched every single minute of rugby this team has played, watched a number of press conferences, spoken with one of the analysts about the team and watched nearly every provincial game these guys have played in the last few years so excuse me but I do think that I know this team very well thank you. It is a very reasonable to think that since we've lost 5 of our most key players that we're not exactly favorites anymore against a very good team. That's not negative that's realistic and respectful of the opposition. So don't tell me that if I believe what I said that I have no belief in the team because that's a crock of ****e.

Lots of guys seem to be buying into the 'believe' argument as opposed to doing any sort of critical thinking whatsoever.

We're obviously not favourties, and anyone who says you're somehow less of a fan for it is an idiot.

It's going to be horrible if Ireland get to the final and then get annihilated 60-0 by the ABs lol

Ireland won't get past Aussie.
Aussie will eat a depleted Ireland for breakfast and don't think they won't.
Too many Irish starters are out for them to have a real chance of getting past Aussie and thats if they can find a way past a pretty sharp looking Argentinian outfit.

It would be great for the northern hemisphere to have some representation in the semi-finals but it's going to be a big ask against a handy Puma pack.

I reckon Schmidt and the coaching team knew all week that Sexton was never going to play. Think they wanted people to think he was going to play but there have been reports all week that Sexton has been helping Madigan etc. Argies, like France with Payne last year, would've been preparing for Sexton until yesterday. Now they've got to prepare for Madigan...

Seriously? That sounds more like a Davis´ Cup strategy than for a 15 men sport. I think they waited until last moment because he is obviously a huge loss and qualifying to semis is a must target for Ireland, but personally, as they are saying here, I think missing also three starters in the pack is worse..

Anyway, I expect Argentina to win, closely, and the Irish losses really helps. That, whatever is the result, proves that test matches are not a very good evidence for what is going to happen in a RWC, this is a long and tough competition.
We were very lucky in our first match against NZ, look the NZ team that held the cup in 2011, Wales in this competition, etc. Arg and Ire battles to top the group, had a clear winner, us. Still, I think Ireland had a veeeeeeery good team, excellent team, but I think this is 55% for us, because of injuries obviously, their favoritism and pressure.

I hope we have a hell of a game.

P.d: Irish fans are great...

Madigan's hair and injuries/bans are obvious factors to make Argentina favourites but this is a home game for us, Argentina won't get the time that they have been getting and they have to alter their gameplan more than us. I'm confident of the win but more nervous than I had been during the week.

For sure. That French side was beat before the game started.

Yes it was quite strange looking back on it. Maybe just because it was far and away the worst defeat in a QF ever, but there were guys shying away from tackles, unforgivable really.

I'd like to see a France team with a top notch Kiwi or Aussie coach at the helm.

They also need to get rid of all the foreign players in France. Thats a big reason why England and France have declined, national leagues infested with foreign players. Hope I didn't insult anyone with that comment haha.

Latest posts