• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Quarter Final 4: Australia vs. Scotland (18/10/2015)

Tuesday morning's hearing in London will assess a challenge made by hooker Ford in Saturday's win over Samoa.
And lock Gray is alleged to have committed an illegal tip tackle against the Pacific Islanders.
Their fate will be decided by independent judicial officer Christopher Quinlan QC.
The pair, key members of the Scotland pack, were charged by Australian independent citing commissioner Scott Nowland.

Now I haven't seen either incident and I'm sure there is nothing untoward going on, but surely there could have been a citing commissioner assigned to the game that wasn't from a potential quarter-final opponent.

Now I haven't seen either incident and I'm sure there is nothing untoward going on, but surely there could have been a citing commissioner assigned to the game that wasn't from a potential quarter-final opponent.

Not the way to look at it, Craig Joubert Reffed the Aus vs Wales game he was in charge of the result directly related to who his nation played in the Qrts.

These things are assigned before the Tournament begins, you can't take into account what might be.

ive never got this northern v southern hemosphere im Scottish support Scotland,but will support wales and Ireland as we are the same celtic race the French as they fought alongside us in the auld alliance, and England well I cant stand them breathing the same air as me

Can't wait for these qtrs. Although the Wallabies will want to be full strength, I think for the good of the team both Pocock and Folau should sit this one out. Both looked in serious trouble last week and Folau in particular was well below par. I reckon Cheika should go for Hooper and McCalman, put Beale at 15 (no slouch) and bring Speight onto the bench and then bring him on with 20 to go so his power game does some real damage.

... maybe he should do the sporting thing, and take this game off to recover from his calf injury [emoji14]
Haha well Hooper is back so its not like its an easier day at the office for the Scots.

Haha well Hooper is back so its not like its an easier day at the office for the Scots.

I'm sure the Scots will have a hard day at the office, just not convinced it will be at the breakdown; Blair Cowan and John Hardie both seem to operate well there

That was always the light at the end of the group of death, a supposed easier run through the knockouts.

Avoiding both South Africa and New Zealand until the final, and arguably the easiest Qrt match-up.

Aussie are quids in with an easy run and no injury worries to speak of as yet they are a monty for the RWC champions this year.

Aussie are quids in with an easy run and no injury worries to speak of as yet they are a monty for the RWC champions this year.

Aussies are quids in first they have to beat Scotland, and if they can pull that off they will have to play Ireland/Argentina, are you NZ making excuses already...

Seriously if Australia meet NZ buy buy Carter and CO, Foley's gonna send you packing.

If Australia can get through the 1/4 and semi finals then I think they will win the final. However I am more worried about getting there first. Scotland is not a given nor is either Ireland or Argentina come semi time. I would rather face Argentina in the semi than Ireland though. Australia know the Argentina game better than the Irish and this gives us an advantage.

Ugh! The TMO and Referee in the match made a rather compelling argument after reviewing that tackle by JP Pietersen and came to the conclusion that it wasn't necessary for a yellow card, and only gave a penalty.

It's not like this tackle didn't go unnoticed, it was handled in the match, and would've been directed to the citing officer. He then agreed that the referee and TMO in the match took the required duty of care towards the incident and handled it correctly so that it doesn't need any further investigation and no further citings.

Move on...

I would love a Scotland vs Ireland semi final if luck was to swing both our ways

Ugh! The TMO and Referee in the match made a rather compelling argument after reviewing that tackle by JP Pietersen and came to the conclusion that it wasn't necessary for a yellow card, and only gave a penalty.

It's not like this tackle didn't go unnoticed, it was handled in the match, and would've been directed to the citing officer. He then agreed that the referee and TMO in the match took the required duty of care towards the incident and handled it correctly so that it doesn't need any further investigation and no further citings.

Move on...

And you miss the point entirely. Tremendous.

The point isn't that that particular tackle was seen & dealt with. The point is the difference in punishments received (or not) for incidents you could argue either way which is worse than the other or with or without intent. It's the complete lack of consistency that is the issue and the argument that some countries revive preferential treatment compared to others. Just ask the Pacific nation fans their opinion on how this World Cup has worked out for them.

So no I won't 'move on' just because you pipe up and tell me to do so.

And you miss the point entirely. Tremendous.

The point isn't that that particular tackle was seen & dealt with. The point is the difference in punishments received (or not) for incidents you could argue either way which is worse than the other or with or without intent. It's the complete lack of consistency that is the issue and the argument that some countries revive preferential treatment compared to others. Just ask the Pacific nation fans their opinion on how this World Cup has worked out for them.

So no I won't 'move on' just because you pipe up and tell me to do so.

I disagree, the citing commissioners and appeals group is a bunch of legal minded people appointed by World Rugby. Some of them are from countries that doesn't even participate in the World cup:

Citing commissioners: James Absaloms (Kenya), Freek Burger (South Africa), Steve Hinds (New Zealand), Douglas Hunter (Scotland), Bruce Kuklinski (Canada), Peter Larter (England), Scott Nowland (Australia), Mike Rafter (England), Yves Thieffine (France), Maurizio Vancini (Italy), Murray Whyte (Ireland).
Judicial officers: Prof. Lorne Crerar (Scotland), Adam Casselden (Australia), Jean-Noël Couraud (France), Antony Davies (England), Alan Hudson (Canada), Sheriff Katherine Mackie (Scotland), Roger Morris (Wales), Christopher Quinlan QC (England), Simon Thomas (Wales), Terry Willis (Australia).
Appeal officers: Justice Lex Mpati (South Africa), Justice Sir James Dingemans (England), Justice Graeme Mew (Canada), Rod McKenzie (Scotland).
In addition, Justice Douglas White (recently retired as a judge of the New Zealand Court of Appeal) has been appointed for a third consecutive Rugby World Cup as the Disputes Panel Chairman, to deal with any breaches of the tournament terms of participation applicable to teams.
http://citizen.co.za/772072/sa-officials-named-on-2015-rwc-committees/

So fans of different countries who have complained about what would seemingly be fairly clear inconsistencies about punishments handed out (or not) to different countries for different offences of varying severity aren't an issue because you disagree?

Magic.

Latest posts