• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Quarter Final 4: Australia vs. Scotland (18/10/2015)

Scotland have started really talking themselves up for this match I notice, with players saying they think they're more than capable of being world champions. Interesting talk coming from a team that lost all its 6N games in the most recent tournament, but frankly I'm pleased they're talking thesmelves up, as it'll just keep the Wallabies focused. I remember Richie McCaw saying that the ABs liked it when the Wallabies started talking themselves up, as they felt that was when they were the most vulnerable. I tend to agree with him and think it's not a great sign in a side.

It's great to have a positive mindset and believe in yourself but it's also good to remain realistic. That's what I like about the Wallabies under Cheika.

It's great to have the Wallabies back to playing top drawer rugby, ad it's great to have the Boks showing they have the class to win the competition, I just hope the AB's can lift their game to match their southern hemisphere counterparts.
Scotland, well, they've done well to get this far, which is further than their southern neighbours, but they are not going any further, Aussie has the easiest quarter final by a long shot.

Scotland have started really talking themselves up for this match I notice, with players saying they think they're more than capable of being world champions. Interesting talk coming from a team that lost all its 6N games in the most recent tournament, but frankly I'm pleased they're talking thesmelves up, as it'll just keep the Wallabies focused. I remember Richie McCaw saying that the ABs liked it when the Wallabies started talking themselves up, as they felt that was when they were the most vulnerable. I tend to agree with him and think it's not a great sign in a side.

Would you prefer if they rolled over & allowed the Aussies to tickle their tummies & thank world rugby for the opportunity?

Having a positive mindset & self belief is key in these things. Any sports psychologist would say the same thing. The Scots aren't daft however, they know they aren't in any way favourites for this game, but that's it exactly - a one off knock out game. Strange things can happen and the favourites don't always win. If a team goes in with the mindset they've already lost however then that's all but guaranteed.

I'm not sure what constitutes 'talking themselves up' but I'm also not sure what you'd expect a player to say in anser to the inanae question, "Can you beat teh Australians?". "No, we haven't an earthly chance." As far as I can see, Ryan Grant said, "We beat them, before and we can beat them again." Gordy Reid, one of the team's natural jokers, said, "Have you seen 'The Mighty Ducks?". That's about it. Nobody's making any rash claims.

Yes, of course we can beat Australia, and that's the only answer you'd ever expect from any player in any team. Anyone saying anything different would be roundly mocked and insntly dropped. So let's get away from the puerile, "That'll just get our boys psyched up" crap. Your boys aren't stupid. Our boys are where they like to be, as underdogs. I'm making no claims as to the result, except to say that I've got pretty good odds on an 'upset'. I'll be delighted but not particularly surprised if Scotland beats Australia on Sunday. I'm getting kind of used to it. What I will say is this though. If the game goes by the form book, I'm sure you'll be able to say, "I told you so.". Just imagine what we'll be able to say if it doesn't. Show us some respect. It's been sadly lacking in a World Cup where, for far too many people who ought to know better, apparently Group B consisted of Japan and South Africa.

I'm not sure what constitutes 'talking themselves up' but I'm also not sure what you'd expect a player to say in anser to the inanae question, "Can you beat teh Australians?". "No, we haven't an earthly chance." As far as I can see, Ryan Grant said, "We beat them, before and we can beat them again." Gordy Reid, one of the team's natural jokers, said, "Have you seen 'The Mighty Ducks?". That's about it. Nobody's making any rash claims.

Yes, of course we can beat Australia, and that's the only answer you'd ever expect from any player in any team. Anyone saying anything different would be roundly mocked and insntly dropped. So let's get away from the puerile, "That'll just get our boys psyched up" crap. Your boys aren't stupid. Our boys are where they like to be, as underdogs. I'm making no claims as to the result, except to say that I've got pretty good odds on an 'upset'. I'll be delighted but not particularly surprised if Scotland beats Australia on Sunday. I'm getting kind of used to it. What I will say is this though. If the game goes by the form book, I'm sure you'll be able to say, "I told you so.". Just imagine what we'll be able to say if it doesn't. Show us some respect. It's been sadly lacking in a World Cup where, for far too many people who ought to know better, apparently Group B consisted of Japan and South Africa.

I like this post and totally correct.

This is talking yourselves up: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru.../We-can-win-the-World-Cup-claim-Scotland.html

I think you boys need to take a deep breath.

I don't see how you saw my post as some lack of respect; I didn't exactlyh I come out and say the Wallabies were certainties to win. No, what I was really getting at was that the talk coming out of the Scotland camp reminds me of precisely the sort of talk that gives me a sense of foreboding when it has come out of the Wallabies camp in previous years (usually in the lead up to tests against the All Blacks).

Yes yes, we all know all that pop psych bull**** about positive self talk, but most of the times it's the teams that keep their mouths shut and focus on the job that get it done. That's what I like about our boys under Cheika as opposed to previous years. As Cheika says "talk is cheap"

If you think that constitutes 'talking oneself up' then you neatly illustrate my point. As for the lack of respect. that wasn't particularly aimed at you, more at the kind of idiot who simply states what will and won't happen without any measure of doubt.

Scotland starting XV:

15. Hogg
14. Maitland
13. Bennett
12. Horne
11. Seymour
10. Russell
9. Laidlaw
8. Denton
7. Hardie
6. Cowan
5. Gray
4. Swinson
3. Nel
2. Brown
1. Dickinson

16. Bryce
17. Reid
18. Welsh
19. Strokosch
20. Strauss
21. Pyrgos
22. Vernon
23. Lamont

Thank God for the centres and Cowan being in there. We're going to need some huge performances. Bit worried about our bench options in the forwards though.

Scotland starting XV:

15. Hogg
14. Maitland
13. Bennett
12. Horne
11. Seymour
10. Russell
9. Laidlaw
8. Denton
7. Hardie
6. Cowan
5. Gray
4. Swinson
3. Nel
2. Brown
1. Dickinson

16. Bryce
17. Reid
18. Welsh
19. Strokosch
20. Strauss
21. Pyrgos
22. Vernon
23. Lamont

How good are Swinson and Dickinson, anywhere near the players they're replacing?

Pocock and Folau both out apparently.

Aussie team:

1. Scott Sio (14 Tests)
2. Stephen Moore (c) (99 Tests)
3. Sekope Kepu (60 Tests)
4. Kane Douglas (20 Tests)
5. Rob Simmons (57 Tests)
6. Scott Fardy (27 Tests)
7. Michael Hooper (vc) (48 Tests)
8. Ben McCalman (44 Tests)
9. Will Genia (63 Tests)
10. Bernard Foley (24 Tests)
11. Drew Mitchell (67 Tests)
12. Matt Giteau (99 Tests)
13. Tevita Kuridrani (28 Tests)
14. Adam Ashley-Cooper (vc) (111 Tests)
15. Kurtley Beale (57 Tests)

Reserves

16. Tatafu Polota-Nau (58 Tests)
17. James Slipper (71 Tests)
18. Greg Holmes (21 Tests)
19. Dean Mumm (40 Tests)
20. Sean McMahon (6 Tests)
21. Nick Phipps (36 Tests)
22. Matt Toomua (29 Tests)
23. Quade Cooper (58 Tests)

Last edited:
I'm hoping for a personal triumph from Tim Swinson. I'm heartily sick of the "he's too small" garbage. Ask Neil Back how that worked for him.

It's great to have a positive mindset and believe in yourself but it's also good to remain realistic. That's what I like about the Wallabies under Cheika.

It's great to have a positive mindset and believe in yourself but it's good to remain realistic . That's what I like about Scotland under Cotter .

Pocock and Folau both out apparently.

Aussie team:

1. Scott Sio (14 Tests)
2. Stephen Moore (c) (99 Tests)
3. Sekope Kepu (60 Tests)
4. Kane Douglas (20 Tests)
5. Rob Simmons (57 Tests)
6. Scott Fardy (27 Tests)
7. Michael Hooper (vc) (48 Tests)
8. Ben McCalman (44 Tests)
9. Will Genia (63 Tests)
10. Bernard Foley (24 Tests)
11. Drew Mitchell (67 Tests)
12. Matt Giteau (99 Tests)
13. Tevita Kuridrani (28 Tests)
14. Adam Ashley-Cooper (vc) (111 Tests)
15. Kurtley Beale (57 Tests)

Reserves

16. Tatafu Polota-Nau (58 Tests)
17. James Slipper (71 Tests)
18. Greg Holmes (21 Tests)
19. Dean Mumm (40 Tests)
20. Sean McMahon (6 Tests)
21. Nick Phipps (36 Tests)
22. Matt Toomua (29 Tests)
23. Quade Cooper (58 Tests)

Hooper and Beale are handy replacements though.

It's great to have a positive mindset and believe in yourself but it's good to remain realistic . That's what I like about Scotland under Cotter .

Was he their coach during their most recent 6N campaign? Why has Scotland been the weakest home nation for so long? They have a bigger population than Ireland and arguably less competition from other sports.

Last edited:
Pocock and Falou out is a recipe for an upset.

Come on Scotland!

Latest posts