• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Warm Up Match: England vs Ireland (05/09/15)

bw245

Academy Player
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
England vs Ireland - 5/9/15 - World Cup Warm Up Match

Referee is Nigel Owens

Cannot see England losing this one.

We can quite easily, screw up all our set pieces again and it's Ireland's for the taking. England are generally **** at getting back onside after the ball has been kicked behind so I think Ireland will kick to our backs and chase hard knowing the catcher will always be outnumbered because none of the other England players can be arsed to get back and help. They never have and probably never will.

Also at the breakdown, England will just give Ireland as much time on the ball as they need unless we have changed our game plan. This will give Ireland the time to do those kicks if they want.

If however England properly compete at the breakdown, get good aerial players in the back 3, have 2 good kickers on the pitch (10 and 12/13) and for the love of god don't do this aimless kicking up the pitch, we may stand a chance. England have been doing aimless kicking for as long as I can remember and it is getting really infuriating. It doesn't work, it never has and it never will. If there is a chase it can be useful but we don't kick for touch, don't kick for a chase and don't kick particularly far, it is just stupid.

Last edited:
England vs Ireland - 5/9/15 - World Cup Warm Up Match

Think it's England's to lose tbh. England HAVE to win this one. Ireland are at the moment an extremely predictable, transparent side. England should be able to read us. Plus England are at home.

england flag.jpegVersus Challenge.pngdownload.jpeg

Date: Saturday, 5 September, 02:30 BST

England XV:

TBC

Ireland XV:

TBC​

Reckon on teams?

Interesting, didnt realise these two would be playing a warm up so close to the cup.

i dont know why the international sides, dont play a pre-season match against the club teams. wouldnt be of the intensity of other internationals but also wouldnt risk injury. Wales had a private match against Osprey's last week, any ideas if this was done in england or if any of the SH did this with their clubs?

i dont know why the international sides, dont play a pre-season match against the club teams. wouldnt be of the intensity of other internationals but also wouldnt risk injury. Wales had a private match against Osprey's last week, any ideas if this was done in england or if any of the SH did this with their clubs?
"Intensity" neither side wants a warm up game where they can go through the motions they need to test their ability with the appropriate amount of pressure. If both sides essentially pick their first team (which barring injury I suspect they will do) they can see where they are going into the world cup against top opposition and use "minnows" games to fix any issues if they do exist.

For example England want to pray the France games was a blip but also they can properly chek they ironed out those creases which they won't do even playing a top-prem side missing all it's international players.

"Intensity" neither side wants a warm up game where they can go through the motions they need to test their ability with the appropriate amount of pressure. If both sides essentially pick their first team (which barring injury I suspect they will do) they can see where they are going into the world cup against top opposition and use "minnows" games to fix any issues if they do exist.

For example England want to pray the France games was a blip but also they can properly chek they ironed out those creases which they won't do even playing a top-prem side missing all it's international players.

yea i see that side to it, and im sure that game was a blip to be honest. as much as id like to think it wasnt so we have more of a chance against your boys, all those pool A games will be tight. This game should be a cracker as long as you both field pretty much first teams

Referee is Nigel Owens

Cannot see England losing this one.

Then you're not looking hard enough!!!

I didn't see Irelands game against Wales - can I have a quick verdict from an irish POV? It would be hard for the performance to be worse than Englands last!
From your other post, BW245 - it loosk as though you've lost some faith in the regime - is this because of a lacklustre warm up from Ireland or from before?

Nervous nervous nervous...

I can't see us being as lacklustre as we were in the first half / sixty against France. If we are then that will be seriously worrying.

For me the interesting question is who starts at 10 and who out hookers are. Two biggest problem areas IMO and both ones I don't think we have reasoned at all.

Is BB fit yet? Anyone heard?

I see England coming out all guns blazing but a lack of execution in the backs. The Irish are too good at holding up and mauling small defenders or those who get isolated and with the current set of centres and wings I can see that happening all too easy.

Although as people like to state, I think the game will be won in the forwards. Will be interested to see who the sides name in the tight five.

Last edited:
Nervous nervous nervous...

I can't see us being as lacklustre as we were in the first half / sixty against France. If we are then that will be seriously worrying.

For me the interesting question is who starts at 10 and who out hookers are. Two biggest problem areas IMO and both ones I don't think we have reasoned at all.

Is BB fit yet? Anyone heard?

telegraph reporting he is fit and will start with JJ.

Youngs, Parling, Ford, BB all start.

George, Launch, Burgess on bench.

Can't link from phone. Sorry!

CN1H0eRW8AApvcH.jpg:large

Latest posts