• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Warm Up Match: Ireland vs Scotland (15/08/2015)

iINDOMINUSxx

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Scotland
Club or Nation
Edinburgh
Ireland.png
Versus%20Challenge.png
Scotland.png
My predictions:

Well at the moment Scotland are really not in a good shape heading into this game. Ireland are looking good while we don't and with us Dropping to 12th in the world rankings we really need to get something out off this match. I reckon like Wales vs Ireland last week, Scotland and Ireland will experiment with players who wont usually start in the main XV.

Henry Pyrgos has been named captain for this game. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/33864351.

here's the 25 man squad for this game

Backs: Dougie Fife, Sam Hidalgo-Clyne, Peter Horne, Ruaridh Jackson, Sean Lamont, Henry Pyrgos (captain), Tommy Seymour, Greig Tonks, Richie Vernon, Tim Visser, Duncan Weir.
Forwards: John Barclay, Hugh Blake, Fraser Brown, Blair Cowan, Mike Cusack, David Denton, Allan Dell, Grant Gilchrist, Ryan Grant, Jim Hamilton, Rob Harley, Stuart McInally, Gordon Reid, Jon Welsh.

So continuing to have a scrum half as captain it would seem. Might be that the decision making system is built around that, might be that Pyrgos is up to the challenge. Assume we're just resting Laidlaw. Would love to see Reid start and have a good game. Also here comes some judgement on the Vernon experiment.

- - - Updated - - -

The side I'd like to see:

1. Gordon Reid
2. Stuart McInally
3. Jon Welsh
4. Grant Gilchrist
5. Rob Harley
6. Blair Cowan
7. Hugh Blake
8. John Barclay

9. Henry Pyrgos
10. Duncan Weir
11. Tommy Seymour
12. Richie Vernon
13. Dougie Fife
14. Sean Lamont
15. Peter Horne

There would be a lot to look at there with a good mix of experience and edge. Some new combinations and keen to see what Hugh Blake looks like at open side with Barclay to cause some damage. Unfortunately this team would probably be pumped by the Irish so may have to go with something less experimental.

By having a look at the squad i might have a guess on what i think is the starting XV for scotland. Naming only 2 second row's meaning Rob Harley is filling in the second row. Tonks is going to be fullback.

1.) Mike Cusack
2.) Stuart McInally
3.) Jon Welsh
4.) Grant Gilchrist
5.) Jim Hamilton
6.) Blair Cowan
7.) John Barclay
8.) David Denton
9.) Henry Pyrgos
10.) Rory Jackson
11.) Tim Visser
12.) Peter Horne
13.) Richie Vernon
14.) Tommy Seymour
15.) Greig Tonks

16.) Fraser Brown
17.) Gordon Reid
18.) Allan Dell
19.) Rob Harley
20.) Hugh Blake
21.) Sam Hidalgo-Clyne
22.) Duncan Weir
23.) Sean Lamont

I think the side you've named is bang on asides Visser. I have a feeling Mr. Lamont will be on the wing to face up to Irelands physical back three. Ruaridh Jackson is also on his last shot for a starting place in the WC for me.

I think the side you've named is bang on asides Visser. I have a feeling Mr. Lamont will be on the wing to face up to Irelands physical back three. Ruaridh Jackson is also on his last shot for a starting place in the WC for me.
Yeah it was a shame that he was injured for the whole year. When we had Russell or Weir unavailable Jackson would have been in straight away. But with Russell and Weir there, Jackson doesn't have a chance unless if he play's really well for Wasps this year.

Agreed. However I think Weir is incredibly under rated. He's got a great eye for a chip and where a break is on. Great reader of the game. Finn Russell's attributes are well known. We've actually got a fairly solid set of half backs to rely on!

Rob Herring and Noel Reid have been released from the Ireland squad.

Scotland will be torn to shreds, sorry but no 2 ways about this as far as I can see.

Finn Russell Injured? Irish defence looks super good, going to take some very good kicking from Jackson to put Scotland in the right areas against this Ireland team..

Finn Russell Injured? Irish defence looks super good, going to take some very good kicking from Jackson to put Scotland in the right areas against this Ireland team..
Nope, Just resting i think but definitely not injured. Don't see anything good coming out for us in this game. Ireland look really good against Wales even if it wasn't they're first team. Scotland don't have a chance.

It's why it's our chance to play some exciting players! Anyone can step up in moments like this.

Think back to the 2012 Six Nations where Hogg debuted against a Welsh team that went unbeaten that season and scored a try the next week against the French after playing for an in form Glasgow team. No one can say the Glasgow team was out of sorts last season so here's the chance for a few players to make the step! I don't think we'll win, by no means, but so keen to see a few players move up to that elite level to give us some excitement for the world cup.

Kieran Marmion has been sent back to Connacht for some game time apparently but not (I assume) been totally cut from the squad. Tad dissapointed he won't get game time vs Scotland. I accept that most Irish fans jumped the gun in hyping him up given some of his weaknesses but we lose nothing by trying him against Scotland and seeing what he can do, as he's still in my eyes an unknown entity at international level. I'm eager that we try scrum half options because the drop off in quality we get when we lose Murray (admittedly Reddan had a good game last week, but his sharpness as an impact sub is his main asset) is seriously noticeable and damaging against good opposition.

Why are we letting these non top 10 plebs have the privilege of playing the second best country in world rugby? I mean, we all have to do our bit for the minnows, but it seems silly this close to a world cup.

Last time someone wound up the Scots, we have a referendum. Please don't start that.

Why are we letting these non top 10 plebs have the privilege of playing the second best country in world rugby? I mean, we all have to do our bit for the minnows, but it seems silly this close to a world cup.
To be fair, it'll be nice to know just how weak a team we can throw out against the likes of Romania and Canada so playing a team of an equivalent level of skill seems to be a good idea to me.

I hope Sexton plays and gets injured. There. Now you've made me say it.

I wouldn't count against the scots coming off a decent Glasgow pro 12 Campaign.. Ireland still to win..

To be fair, it'll be nice to know just how weak a team we can throw out against the likes of Romania and Canada so playing a team of an equivalent level of skill seems to be a good idea to me.

I guess that's true. The Romanians and Canadians are more used to playing sides around their own level however, so they wont carry in the mentally of utterly defeated losers the Scots always have about them.

What ever happened to this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts