• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Warm Up Match: Wales vs Ireland (08/08/2015)

I feel for some of the guys who are good enough, but don't get a chance in the first choice side (Dom Day, and to a lesser extent Tipuric) - I know this is just a nothing game, but it'll still be in the coaches heads when they're looking at them come RWC time.

Actually...

Right now, Gatland gets to find out which of his players have cool heads and guts; they may be outclassed, but either a player has the ability to keep playing bravely and sensibly under pressure, or they're not ready for the World Cup. Tbh, I think Gatland would have reckoned his boys weren't this badly outclassed.

As for Schmidt - again, he gets to see who's making the right decisions to be clinical, and he also now gets to see who gets comfortable. Not bad things.

Actually...

Right now, Gatland gets to find out which of his players have cool heads and guts; they may be outclassed, but either a player has the ability to keep playing bravely and sensibly under pressure, or they're not ready for the World Cup. Tbh, I think Gatland would have reckoned his boys weren't this badly outclassed.

As for Schmidt - again, he gets to see who's making the right decisions to be clinical, and he also now gets to see who gets comfortable. Not bad things.

You don't need cool heads when you're getting hammered, nor are you under pressure. Those things are important in tight games and that's where you'll see them, but they wont be on display as traits today. All he'll learn is who can keep playing in a game where you're getting comfortably beaten as you've mentioned, but that's sod all use in the world cup.

Think he's made a bit of a balls of this one regards selection.

Must say just listening to audio off bbc Wales and rte both analysis seem to say him and Trimble were 2 big pluses for Ireland

You don't need cool heads when you're getting hammered, nor are you under pressure. Those things are important in tight games and that's where you'll see them, but they wont be on display as traits today. All he'll learn is who can keep playing in a game where you're getting comfortably beaten as you've mentioned, but that's sod all use in the world cup.

Think he's made a bit of a balls of this one regards selection.

How they respond is the difference between a hammering and a respectable scoreline, between getting comfortably beaten and making a game of it.

Not getting riled up at taking cheapshots at opponents because you're being beaten badly as many players do. That's the same cool headedness needed when you're in a semifinal and you've been taken to ET, with the opposition getting under your skin. Useful thing to know about some of these youngsters.

- - - Updated - - -

Silly easy try there.

This speaks volumes about Wales' selection depth. It's immensely worrying; two or three key injuries (although Ireland need a secondary kicker judging by what Jackson has missed today) and they could be in a very bad way. Hopefully this is Gatland playing the ultimate mind game.

It's not just about responding to being behind, it's dealing with the fact that a poor team performance will most likely result in individuals being dropped from the WC squad.

Most of these guys were under pressure to perform today to be selected following this game, as if they're playing today it's hugely unlikely that they'd make the cut. All the talk here this week has been about who isn't playing, as there's a feeling they are the ones who are being wrapped in cotton wool.

Selection has been an issue with the result today, but most of all I think it's had to have impacted on the mentality of the players.

I think Anscombe and Williams have made a difference to the pace of Wales' game, but the 12 13 14 defence has been awful all game.

How they respond is the difference between a hammering and a respectable scoreline, between getting comfortably beaten and making a game of it.

I still don't see how that's relevant in a WC environment. Wales need to beat one of England and Australia and probably take a bonus point off the other. That means they're going to need players who are ready to step in in tight games. Getting hammered at home as part of a half baked side against Ireland's seconds isn't good preparation for that.

You could argue that if Wales find themselves 20 points down in a group game a need to pull it back to a bonus point win then maybe an experience like this will be useful, but I don't believe Australia or England would let them back into such a game, nor do I believe that it'd be the second string guys who'd be the ones who'd need to start standing up in such an environment.

down for 5-10 mins
gas and air on the pitch drove off in a stretcher

looks like a break. it isnt obvious whats broke but looks like a break, looks like a lower body thing

down for 5-10 mins

looks like a break. it isnt obvious whats broke but looks like a break, looks like a lower body thing

Well ******** anyway.

Sad for him on a personal level, but looking at the bigger picture it's a position where we can sustain a couple of injuries and still be okay.

I still don't see how that's relevant in a WC environment. Wales need to beat one of England and Australia and probably take a bonus point off the other. That means they're going to need players who are ready to step in in tight games. Getting hammered at home as part of a half baked side against Ireland's seconds isn't good preparation for that.

You could argue that if Wales find themselves 20 points down in a group game a need to pull it back to a bonus point win then maybe an experience like this will be useful, but I don't believe Australia or England would let them back into such a game, nor do I believe that it'd be the second string guys who'd be the ones who'd need to start standing up in such an environment.

It's about the players' mentalities, not the game scenario. But if you don't see it, then me repeating myself won't change that.

down for 5-10 mins

Yea text was saying it looks like broken leg/ankle. Gutted as he's put in a monster effort. He's certainly had fair share of injuries over last few years. Reminds me of the heartbreak for Wallace at last RWC warm ups. Feic is right that we've depth there but still sad to see it

It's about the players' mentalities, not the game scenario. But if you don't see it, then me repeating myself won't change that.

I understand what you're saying, but I still believe that game situation is important. The attributes you've described wont get displayed in a game like this.

What was Jiffy on about? Ireland without POC and Sexto, the team that played today are similar to a starting team. Ok we'll forget about Healy, SOB, POM, Heaslip, Murray, Bowe, Henshaw, Kearney etc. bit if a ridiculous comment.

Not much can be read into World Cup warm ups. Wales have until September 26th until they have to peak. Further games against Ireland, Italy and Uruguay should help them iron out the kinks in their game. This was just like a pre-season friendly in terms of importance.

For Ireland, I though Keith Earls' performance was overstated. He made some errors early on, stupidly kicking the ball away on the 22 and dropping a simple pass. He's a dead cert for the World Cup squad though because he flashed brilliance at times. For me the best performers were Richardt Strauss, Jordi Murphy, Tommy O'Donnell, Eoin Reddan and Simon Zebo. Both sets of props scrummaged well too with Dave Kilcoyne very prominent in the loose.

The player I was most disappointed with was Paddy Jackson. His tactical kicking was extremely loose and goal kicking was subpar. I think a hard call may need to be made there. If Jonny Sexton is injured, is Paddy Jackson good enough to step up and help Ireland win against big teams? I think not. In that case, I'd rather not waste a World Cup squad place on him. Ian Madigan is far from perfect (his defensive error lead to Wales' second try) but he can provide far more spark in attack than his rival and is a better goal kicker. Tactical kicking and game management are his main areas for concern. I'd be inclined to go with just two flyhalves, Sexton and Madigan, and make sure all of Simon Zebo, Keith Earls, Andrew Trimble and Felix Jones make the squad than take Paddy Jackson who I don't believe will contribute enough.

Strongly disagree there Snoopy. I thought Jackson was playing to clear instructions to turn the Welsh as much as he could early on, which he did, and he put in a lot of great contestable kicks. Some of his later kicks were overcooked, but then the chase seemed to vanish as well. I thought he did his job well enough - gave his runners good ball and generally moved the team around. Goal kicking was a little annoying - should have got the first one but wasn't concentrating - but most kickers will miss plenty from out by the touchline.

More to the point, no one who can avoid it goes to the World Cup with only two fly-halves. If Jackson really stinks the place up, he might lose out to Keatley *and* Madigan, but that would be pretty surprising to me. He didn't nail his chance, but I thought he was fine, and frankly he's a lot closer to an international fly-half than either Keatley or Madigan. I cannot disagree strongly enough with the idea that game management is an area of concern for Jackson so you take Madigan; it just completely blows my mind.

Personally I was more disappointed with Henderson, who I thought never really got going. Maybe more interested in preserving himself than trying to force his way into the 23.

I'd also take marks off of Murphy and TOD for getting greedy at the breakdown second half and being undisciplined enough to let Wales back in - Henry too. Far more impressed with Heaslip than either.

Very impressed with Zebo though.

Latest posts