• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Warm Up Match: Wales vs Italy (05/09/15)

AzaMatt

Bench Player
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Ospreys
pays_de_galles.png.gif V.png 55be902bc412a3e2e31ab3f2e33e1a6c.jpg

Hello all, couldn’t see another discussion for this match open so figured i would open one.

Teams should be announced later on this week so will edit this post once they have been announced. until then speculate away!

Gatland said "We’ve done a lot of conditioning and we want to go into that match as fit as possible. So the squad we pick for Italy this may include one or two players outside the 31. We need to keep players involved and interested and other players fresh and injury free as well. Ross Moriarty and Kristian Dacey could be potentially involved" - from wales online

I can understand his logic partially but surely this last warm up match should be used for the squad members to gel together in their various combinations. If he selects some players from outside the remaining squad it seems silly, as they may never get called up. That spot could have been used for someone in the remaining 31 to gel into the squad as some will have never played together.

Its a careful balancing act as all teams have to try to avoid any(more) injuries. What do you all think? should Italy and wales go all out with their team selection this weekend?

Wales squad to be announced in about 15 mins. Hard to call which way it's gonna go. I expect Warburton to get his first run out and by the sounds of it. Would like to see Matthew Morgan get a start rather than a bench spot - think we could do with getting a better sense of what he's capable of. Cuthbert needs more gametime too IMO so he can try and get some form back.

Aaaand here it is...

1 G Jenkins
2 K Owens
3 T Francis
4 J Ball
5 D Day
6 J King
7 S Warburton (C)
8 T Faletau
9 R Webb
10 D Biggar
11 G North
12 S Williams
13 C Allen
14 A Cuthbert
15 L Halfpenny

Subs: K Dacey, P James, A Jarvis, L Charteris, R Moriarty, G Davies, R Priestland, M Morgan

Overall a good solid team with a few key people held back. Find myself conflicted at wanting to see certain players get more gametime whilst being worried about injuries. Hope Halfpenny stays well out of the way of that large Italian chap's knee this time! Shame Matthew Morgan isn't starting too as I feel like we need to see a little more of him to understand his best position and whether he can do more than contribute to broken field play. Cuthbert again needs to impress in my book, really needs to find some form.

Good to see Cory Allen getting a game though, will be interesting to see how he gets on. Very promising player but hasn't hit his stride yet. Makes me remember how tragic the injury of Owen Williams was - he would have been a real contender for this RWC with Jon Davies out.

Also interesting to see a few of the dropped players come back in - will be keeping an eye on Moriarty and Dacey for sure.

Would have been a good opportunity to trial Warburton-Tipuric. It's a shame (but not really because I support England).

Not a lot of changes, would of liked to see morgan start at fullback as Biggar can kick for goal instead of halfpenny. Allen was a big surprise in the 31, hopefully he plays well. Warby will be chomping at the bit after seeing tips do so well

Looking at that Italy side, I want to change my name to Giovanbattista

Good play by that kid from Kings Lynn

- - - Updated - - -

Wales' scrum getting dominated.

- - - Updated - - -

Webb's done a JDV

Mike Phillips will be getting a phone call from Gatland soon.

Wales have lost Rhys Webb with what seems like bad leg injury. Does that mean Phillips is brought back from the dead? Real blow for Wales but good news for England and the Aussies because he was one of, if not, their best and most important players!

Wish him a quick recovery...

Has Cuthbert done anything at all right so far?
God he sucks so much. He looked like a child trying to go through that ruck to score - completely and utterly selfish. If I was Gatland I'd be pulling my hair out.

Get Matthew Morgan on.

EDIT: I hadn't seen Italy's try cause I missed the start. He actually pushed Dominic Day out of the way to stop him tackling Sarto. Jesus.

Last edited:
That slowmo fend on Cuthbert!

This new Italian flyhalf looks barely out of primary school!

How did James King get a squad place ahead of Moriarty. If Faletau goes down in the world cup, we're gonna need him. What a break. Playing like he's got a point to prove.

Latest posts