• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 RWC] Warm Up Match: Wales vs Italy (05/09/15)

What can sexton do with that backline though?! Payne and henshaw are missing something and the wings are so so.

I'm not quite sure what Ireland see in Payne, I don't know if there's anyone else.. Earls would have been a good option, but of course injury.. Henshaw seems to play well in fits and spurts.. Has the potential to be great..

At 15 Payne is a great player, at 13 he is an average intl' maybe even below average. I think that Ireland have been deliberately basic with their gameplay so far though, come world cup time I would be surprised if they don't show something much better.

I think thats the general consensus/hope amongst my irish friends. But if Ireland want to play a more expansive game i think they have to add some pace to their pack. Henderson for toner, and maybe jordi murphy in there?

I suspect schmidt is actually playing to irelands strengths...good experienced pack, halfbacks with excellent kicking game and physicality(and more), limited firepower in the backs.

Fully expect somebody to jump on me for this but it just fits what ive seen recently from them. If they play more expansively this reduces their chances of making the final imho.

I think thats the general consensus/hope amongst my irish friends. But if Ireland want to play a more expansive game i think they have to add some pace to their pack. Henderson for toner, and maybe jordi murphy in there?

I suspect schmidt is actually playing to irelands strengths...good experienced pack, halfbacks with excellent kicking game and physicality(and more), limited firepower in the backs.

Fully expect somebody to jump on me for this but it just fits what ive seen recently from them. If they play more expansively this reduces their chances of making the final imho.

Agree, Henderson is an accomplished flanker which would really help the pack with speed.. But obviously you would have to decide between O'Brian or O'Mahaney, personally I would drop O'Brien, purely because he would be a devastating impact at 50-60 minutes.. But that's purely up for opinion..

Agree, Henderson is an accomplished flanker which would really help the pack with speed.. But obviously you would have to decide between O'Brian or O'Mahaney, personally I would drop O'Brien, purely because he would be a devastating impact at 50-60 minutes.. But that's purely up for opinion..

Surely Henderson comes in for Toner at lock? Dropping O'Brien, one of Ireland's 3 or 4 best players, would be madness.

Surely Henderson comes in for Toner at lock? Dropping O'Brien, one of Ireland's 3 or 4 best players, would be madness.
Yes thats what i was going for, adding some dynamism and pace to play a more expansive game. POC and toner aren't gonna hare around the park

Dropping Toner isn't going to come from Schmidt, he's key to our lineout and especially the maul both on attack and defence. Henderson still lacks some of the nuances of lock play and is probably best off as an impact sub for the moment. He'll be replacing PO'C after the WC though.

Payne is being unfairly maligned his defence is excellent in possibly the hardest position to defend. He's also being looking more dangerous in attack with every game. He was the catalyst for a lot of our attacks in the second half against England.

I don't think our gameplan will change overly much in the world cup but there will be more set plays which Schmidt is a master of designing. It's been said as much recently that the warm ups were more about match fitness and getting the combinations going.

On topic for this thread. While I don't think he's world class I do think Biggar is very good and he's probably in my NH top 3.

Dropping Toner isn't going to come from Schmidt, he's key to our lineout and especially the maul both on attack and defence. Henderson still lacks some of the nuances of lock play and is probably best off as an impact sub for the moment. He'll be replacing PO'C after the WC though.

Payne is being unfairly maligned his defence is excellent in possibly the hardest position to defend. He's also being looking more dangerous in attack with every game. He was the catalyst for a lot of our attacks in the second half against England.

I don't think our gameplan will change overly much in the world cup but there will be more set plays which Schmidt is a master of designing. It's been said as much recently that the warm ups were more about match fitness and getting the combinations going.

On topic for this thread. While I don't think he's world class I do think Biggar is very good and he's probably in my NH top 3.

I think Henderson will go missing at second row, you'll only get the break down and around the park speed from him in the flanks, the way I see it..

I don't know where this hot air has come from with Biggar. He was in a strong ospreys team who lost home and away to Northampton this season. A team who boast Myler and Dickson in their half back pairing....

Yes, he's a good player. But nothing special.

Kicking success rate last season
1/2 p 76%
Biggar 86%

At 15 Payne is a great player, at 13 he is an average intl' maybe even below average. I think that Ireland have been deliberately basic with their gameplay so far though, come world cup time I would be surprised if they don't show something much better.

A similar thing was being said about Ireland not showing their hand before the 6N but the 6N came and went and Ireland didn't do anything differently.

Poor old Halfpenny. He's a great player for Wales and a great role model for rugby.
It saddens me when the elite players are not available for the greatest show on earth.

That doesn't tell anywhere near the whole story. You know that aswell, it's a very lazy point to make to be honest

Facts are facts, simple as, I'm not being lazy they are the stats what are you trying to say all 1/2p's kicks were from inside his own half and Biggars were all in front of the posts on the 22.

Facts are facts, simple as, I'm not being lazy they are the stats what are you trying to say all 1/2p's kicks were from inside his own half and Biggars were all in front of the posts on the 22.

Not at all but you are trying to make it out like halfpenny isn't as good at kicking as Biggar when that just isn't true . If I supported Wales and we had a difficult kick we needed to nail to win the cup I'd rather halfpenny take it than Biggar that's just common sense . I don't think anyone has said Biggar is a crap kicker he just isn't as good as the best in the world halfpenny

Halfpenny's % comes down because he has a few extra meters in range and tries kicks that Biggar won't touch. They are about equal when it comes to kicks within 40m, but for those longer range ones? You want Halfpenny.

If Biggar was better than Halfpenny, he'd be kicking for Wales.

Latest posts