Not open for further replies.

j'nuh

First XV
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Gloucester
Can't believe France has a thread before us. Step it up guys. :p

Not too much to talk about tbf though. Lancaster made it clear that he wanted most of his squad in place for the 2014 AIs. Other than one or two late bolters, we probably know the kind of squad that Lancaster will take to the WC.

Curious what everyone would have for their EPS though?

My squad would be something like:

1. Marler, Mullan, Corbs/Auterac (depending on Corbs fitness and form)
2. Hartley, Webber, Youngs/LCD (depending on Youngs' form)
3. Cole, Wilson, Brookes
4. Launchbury, Kruis
5. Attwood, Lawes
6. Ewers, Croft/Seymour/Wallace (depending on Croft's and then Seymour's fitness and form)
7. Robshaw, Kvesic
8. Morgan, Vunipola/Waldrom (depending on Vunipola's form)
9. Care, Youngs, Wiggles
10. Ford, Cips, Farrell
11. May
12. Eastmond
13. Tuilagi, Joseph, Slade
14. Rokoduguni, Nowell
15. Brown, Watson

6th February
Wales v England 8.05
14th February
England v Italy 2.30
1st March
Ireland v England 5.00
14th March
England v Scotland 5.00
21st March
England v France 5.00

Selection Issues-

Front Row
Will Corbisiero ever be fit ? If he is fit for the 6 Nations then we have an incredible weapon at our disposal. Then we have Dan Cole just back from injury, how will he look with the new rules ? Guessing from his performance against Toulon he should be as good as he was for the Lions. Tom Youngs may be able to play himself into the squad after his recent injury issues as well.
This is an area, like most of our forward pack, where we have some great depth. I think we will see Hartley, Youngs, Corbisiero, Marler, Wilson, Cole selected if everyone is fit with Webber, Mullan and Brookes all waiting in the background for their chance to shine.
Second Row
After an impressive Autumn I think Attwood has to be selected, but with Launchbury, Lawes, Kruis, Parling, Slater and Kitchener we have a massive amount of players who can step up. I would like to see Attwood, Lawes, Launchbury and either Parling or Kruis selected.
Back Row
It seems like every man and his dog can see that a quality fetcher or carrying player on the flank would help us exponentially, apart from Lancaster. We have a large amount of players who have never been tried at intl' level as they don't fit Lancasters 6.5 role. Players like Kvesic, Fraser, Ewers and Fearns who are more traditional flankers have been over looked and they could make a massive impact for us. Tom Croft has just come back from injury and is more than likely to be selected in the 6 nations squad if he looks back to his best. Robshaw is still one of our better players performance wise and hopefully he doesn't need to have surgery on his injury. Number 8 wise we have Morgan and Vunipola who are both very good at intl' level, though Morgan has gone miles ahead of him Binny can hopefully get back to his destructive best. Though it is early to say how he will do, but we might see Sam Burgess playing against Wales. Who knows ?
I would expect to see Wood, Robshaw, Clark, Haskell, Morgan, Vunipola
Scrum Half
We looked pretty good with Care but his form looked poor for England in the AI's. He should still be seen as our number 1 but we need to look at Cook, Simpson and
Robson too see if anyone can add a bit more spark that we got from Care last year.
Fly Half
Ford looks to have taken over Farrell as the number 10 for England. Players like Steenson and Cipriani have been doing very well at prem level and might be able to get into the 3rd place spot but at this stage it's very clear who is seen as 1 and 2 and no one else will get any game time. I think we will see Ford, Farrell and Myler.
Centres
This is probably going to be the most debated position(s) for England. When Manu Tuilagi is back fit he will be in the squad, possibly our only world class back. Then we have Brad Barritt, Luther Burrell, Billy Twelvetrees, Kyle Eastmond, Jonathan Joseph who have all been in and around the squad recently. At insode centre we have our most creative player in Eastmond, an all rounder in Twelvetrees and a defensive general in Barritt. Joseph is a creative and running threat at 13, Burrell is like a massive missile in the 13 channel, Tuilagi is a scary beast.
Back Three
On the wings we have May, Rokoduguni, Yarde, Watson and Nowell. All of these have done okay for England, apart from Yarde recently, and if any 3 or 4 are selected they should be dnagerous for us, if they see the ball. I think we will see May, Rokoduguni, Watson and Nowell. At full back hopefully Mike Brown will look back to his best and then we have anyone from Foden, Goode, Watson could play here and Pennell if he is considered good enough even if playing in the second tier.

Can't believe this thread doesn't have a minimum of 25 replies, albeit as freshly composed as it is !! And to think a Taff needed to make one for England....boy, low times on TRF..

Can't believe this thread doesn't have a minimum of 25 replies, albeit as freshly composed as it is !! And to think a Taff needed to make one for England....boy, low times on TRF..
A Taff? Born in Yorkshire, moved to Cardiff like a year ago... boyo ^_^

Ohhhhh crap :mellow:
Whoopsydaisies.

I'm sure a mod will come along and merge our threads. Won't you? Mooooods?

Last edited:

Not too much to talk about tbf though. Lancaster made it clear that he wanted most of his squad in place for the 2014 AIs. Other than one or two late bolters, we probably know the kind of squad that Lancaster will take to the WC.

Curious what everyone would have for their EPS though?

My squad would be something like:

1. Marler, Mullan, Corbs/Vunipola (depending on Corbs fitness and form)
2. Hartley, Webber, Youngs/LCD (depending on Youngs' form)
3. Cole, Wilson, Brookes
4. Launchbury, Kruis
5. Attwood, Lawes
6. Ewers, Croft/Fraser (depending on Croft's fitness and form)
7. Robshaw, Kvesic
8. Morgan, Vunipola (depending on Vunipola's form)
9. Care, Youngs, Wiggles
10. Ford, Cips, Farrell
11. May
12. Eastmond
13. Tuilagi, Burrell, Slade
14. Rokoduguni, Nowell
15. Brown, Watson

Changes I would make in bold

Changes I would make in bold
It was pretty much 50/50 between Burrell and Joseph. Joseph has the form, but I'm still uncomfortable with a player who only started showing up for their club once their club became a top 4 team. I went with Joseph, but on reflection I probably will change to Burrell.

Mako has struggled over the last few weeks imo and Auterac is tearing it up in the scrum for Bath. (Sarries let one get away, that's for sure.)

If this were the beginning of Lancaster's rule, I'd have definitely picked Waldrom over Vunipola. He's in so much better form. Vunipola's experience in the squad is probably quite important though. So as long as Vunipola gets back to near his best, then I'd stick with him. Otherwise, Six Nations might be a good time for him to get a rest.

dude, I know......:rolleyes:
Carry on then :p

Right my squad (injury replacements)
1-Corbisiero/Marler (Mullan)
2-Hartley/Webber (Youngs)
3-Cole/Wilson (Brookes)
4-Attwood/Launchbury
5-Lawes/Kruis
6-Ewers/Fearns (Haskell)
7-Robshaw/Kvesic (Fraser)
8-Morgan/Vunipola (Haskell/Waldrom :eek: )
9-Care/Cook/Wigglesworth (Youngs)
10-Ford/Farrell/Cipriani (Slade)
11-May/Nowell (Banahan :p/ Yarde)
12-Eastmond/Barritt (Devoto)
13-Tuilagi/Joseph (Burrell)
14-Rokoduguni/Watson (Wade/ Sharples)
15-Brown/Foden (Goode)

It was pretty much 50/50 between Burrell and Joseph. Joseph has the form, but I'm still uncomfortable with a player who only started showing up for their club once their club became a top 4 team. I went with Joseph, but on reflection I probably will change to Burrell.

Mako has struggled over the last few weeks imo and Auterac is tearing it up in the scrum for Bath. (Sarries let one get away, that's for sure.)

If this were the beginning of Lancaster's rule, I'd have definitely picked Waldrom over Vunipola. He's in so much better form. Vunipola's experience in the squad is probably quite important though. So as long as Vunipola gets back to near his best, then I'd stick with him. Otherwise, Six Nations might be a good time for him to get a rest.

Carry on then :p

Burrell's played well (mostly) in an England shirt, and Joseph has never really convinced me to be honest (although this season he has been impressive). Also, I think that England play best with a powerful runner in at 13 and a more creative player at 12 so I think our best options which we should take on from here are Slade/Eastmond at 12 and Tuilagi/Burrell at 13.

Yep, I've been very impressed with Auterac so far (particularly in the Quins game) but he's unlikely to get any game time between now and the wc besides perhaps the warm up matches, and you want to take players with international experience to world cups. Plus, I'm confident that Vunipola (both actually) will rediscover their forms before the 6N.

On a side note, whilst Care is out of form, I've been impressed by Cook for Bath, maybe he should get a look in during the 6Ns?

Last edited:
We're a good scrum half away from winning the six nations I reckon, and for this reason I do feel Stew should prioritise the development of a younger scrum half. Robson, Cook, whoever.

Bliss looks like a good long term prospect

I forgot about Cook. Yes, him. :D

I think Care dipped in the AIs, but I thought he did well for Quins when he came back? Or am I thinking wrong? (My memory isn't the best!) It's not that rare for Care to go wrong briefly and get back to playing well soon after. Overall, I still prefer Care to the other options, although it isn't exactly an embarrassment of riches. I did forget about Cook and yeah, I would have him. I'm just not sure who to replace. I'd probably say Youngs because his pass infuriates me :p but on the other hand, he's probably got the best box kick at this stage. It's infuriating that for all their potential, our scrum-half options never really seem to achieve much of it.

We're a good scrum half away from winning the six nations I reckon, and for this reason I do feel Stew should prioritise the development of a younger scrum half. Robson, Cook, whoever.

Bliss looks like a good long term prospect
Robson isn't happening any time soon. He confirmed he was leaving Gloucester, and then Gloucester confirmed that because of this, they will seek to develop Braley rather than Robson from the bench.

Robson has gone backwards this season and without game time, will probably stall or continue to go backwards until he picks up at his new club next season.

I'd probably scratch any thought of him appearing for England in the next year or so.

Last edited:
Our best scrum half on form is Care, but he just can't keep his form. I think its worth giving Cook some game time off the bench this 6N as Youngs always frustrates me and Wiggy always seems to play better for Sarries than England. Funny how Dickson has dropped off the radar completely, although that probably had a lot to do with Fotuali'i's arrival

Bliss is American. Has also committed himself to playing for USA.

- - - Updated - - -

Cook deserves a call up for me. Combining him with Ford to me would be a smart move.

- - - Updated - - -

Youngs, Cook, Care

Wendigo - thanks I didn't know that, I guess I never really bothered to find out :s

Thing is even when Care is in good form he doesn't reliably do the things we want. He can break games open with magic here and there but doesn't reliably chose the right runners or the right direction.

Thing is even when Care is in good form he doesn't reliably do the things we want. He can break games open with magic here and there but doesn't reliably chose the right runners or the right direction.

Neither does Youngs though, and at least when he's on form Care passes better. Even when Youngs has a good game, you can't honestly say that he passed any better than decently. Of the two I much prefer Care, I would even discard Youngs for Wigglesworth if it was up to me. And FWIW, I thought Care looked much better for Quins against Leinster - was passing straight from the base, and mainly good passes, rather than ambling around for a second before throwing it.

I really like Cook at Bath, but will he be able to play England's game? I feel his style suits Bath's perfectly, when everything slows down and we need a different kind of direction from nine (as against Montpellier), he can look a bit lost. I'm sure it's experience and he may well learn, but in terms of readiness fro England now ... I'm not convinced. Having said that, without Care's form, SH is a problem so maybe we'll see a risk taken on someone. I quite like the look of Joe Simpson at the moment to be honest...worth another shot?

Five different names in one short post, all of which have obvious reasons not to select them, does show the issue though, doesn't it ...

Pretty much.

I'm actually fairly content with 10-15 right now.

At fly-half, Ford is a shoe-in for me, with Cips backing him up. Both have the distinct issue of goal kicking potentially undermining them though. I do wish we had a decent goalkicker somewhere else in the backline.

In the centres, we've struggled without Tuilagi. He'll be back soon and if we can keep him fit, I think we're actually alright in the centres. I'd partner him with Eastmond or Slade personally. If Tuilagi wasn't fit, that's when I'd involve Joseph or Burrell, as I do like to have a distributor somewhere in the centres.

May, Brown and Watson/Roko is a pretty obvious back three, with Watson covering fullback and Nowell covering wing. I think all of these players have the potential to be amongst the best in their position worldwide. I actually think it's the best area of our backline, and it's vital we find ways of bringing them more into the game.

Just scrum-half that's a pest to solve and potentially the goal kicking issue. What is Slade's percentage like? (I know Steenson takes the kicks at Exe, so not sure what Slade is like these days.)

Pretty much.

At fly-half, Ford is a shoe-in for me, with Cips backing him up. Both have the distinct issue of goal kicking potentially undermining them though. I do wish we had a decent goalkicker somewhere else in the backline.

In the centres, we've struggled without Tuilagi. He'll be back soon and if we can keep him fit, I think we're actually alright in the centres. I'd partner him with Eastmond or Slade personally. If Tuilagi wasn't fit, that's when I'd involve Joseph or Burrell, as I do like to have a distributor somewhere in the centres.

May, Brown and Watson/Roko is a pretty obvious back three, with Watson covering fullback and Nowell covering wing. I think all of these players have the potential to be amongst the best in their position worldwide. I actually think it's the best area of our backline, and it's vital we find ways of bringing them more into the game.

I'd have Roko over Watson, although that's assuming he can get back to the form that got him picked - he seems to be having a fairly major crisis of confidence at the moment (couldn't catch a cold against Montpellier), since he came back from injury. It's tempting to think his slightly harsh treatment by Lancaster has had something to do with it, but we can't know for certain, plus it doesn't really speak much to his character if that is the case. Anyway, I think they're both very good players but Roko suits England's game better, he's better under the high ball and better in defence. I'd like to see Lancaster bringing him into the midfield as well, he doesn't seem to like doing that with wingers though.

As for ten, actually I'd have Farrell over For...just kidding, obviously it's Ford. I don't think I'd pick Cips as his backup though, partly because of the goalkicking issue (although Ford is not as poor as Cips I don't think) and partly because I'm not convinced of his overall game management compared to Ford, I couldn't see him running effectively running a kicking game like Ford did against Aus for example

Farrell's game management and kicking game is also poor at the moment, but back on form he is good in these areas and would give a different style of fly-half (which is nice to have from your reserve) as well as obviously offering goal kicking. Failing Farrell regaining form, I'd actually seriously consider Myler, again he offers a different kind of player from Ford and kicks his goals reliably. I do think if you pick Ford you really need to know you have a backup goalkicker, because he's one of those who misses in clusters. You need to know if he's having "one of those days" you've got the backup there, either on the bench or elsewhere in the backline. (But please, for the love of God, no Goode ... )

Twelve's the other real issue, agree Tuilagi is a shoe-in (although better management of the area might have brought some players through to challenge ... call me biased, we all are, but I can't for the life of me see what's wrong with JJ) so it's mainly a question of who's inside him, and I (again, call me biased ... ) thought Eastmond was hard done by. Didn't set the world alight, but at least tried, and looked like he might succeed. Aside from May the only player to have any flashes of real line-breaking class. Anyway, the big question marks over him before the autumn were his defence and I thought he stacked up admirably there. To be honest I suspect Barritt will be the eventual choice, and I am a lot happier with him than I was when he was first named at 13 (credit to him), he still isn't the future of the England midfield for me. I want to see Ford, Eastmond, Tuilagi with May popping up outside that channel more often, running the fullback's line in attack. Brown is excellent in many ways but doesn't have the hands or pace for this job; May does.

Just scrum-half that's a pest to solve and potentially the goal kicking issue. What is Slade's percentage like? (I know Steenson takes the kicks at Exe, so not sure what Slade is like these days.)

I think it's high, I think he and Steenson share the kicks (Slade has the longer ones) and I recall looking at the kicking stats earlier in the season and seeing that they were both right up there pushing 80s - particularly impressive for Slade taking mainly speculative ones. That was before the autumn internationals though I think, not sure if they've changed since then - annoying, I went back to the Aviva Prem website and couldn't for the life of me work out where I had found the kicking percentages stats before, so wasn't able to update myself!

Pretty much.

Couldn't have worded it better, my thoughts exactly on the backs.

I agree with the poster above. I know Thomas is unpopular but he seems to have exponentially improved his scrummage this season. Him and Auterac actually seem to be outplaying Wilson and James. I reckon Baths scrum has looked strongest with those two in the team. The World Cup may be too soon but England certainly have a whole host of options on both sides of the front row leading up to 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts