• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 Six Nations] France

Big Ewis

Hall of Fame
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Toulon
Will be interesting to see what team PSA and clowns pick this time around. The EOYT is over and the experimental fun too, or at least it should be. France are literally at a point where the only guys who return with regularity do so because they bring added value individually, intrinsically - as opposed to being a piece to a cohesive puzzle.

HALFBACKS
So we're notably waiting on Parra to get back on track. It's the shame of the season for me he went out for so long, and his club partnership with Camille Lopez at HB would've been just brilliant for the xv de France and would maybe bring some sort of unison that seems mission impossible.
As many fans in France have obviously noted, lots of the fundamental axes (9-10, 10-12, 12-13, 2-8-9-10-15) have little to absolutely no consistency whatsoever, still today, less than a year from the WC and 3 years + into PSA's mandate. At this point, we can literally pick an entirely fresh starting XV and we'd be basically at the same stage. And that's, literally.

Scrumhalf is a very hard pick for us though, because we've got 3 top world class choices, if not 4 in Parra, Kockott, Tillous-Bordes and Machenaud. Lots of guys behind those, but they're the very creme on top. Our best flyhalf and probably a top 3 player in our league, François Trinh-Duc, still is out and *could* be back on the fields on time for this but will he be fit and on form ?..our safest bet for me is Parra+Lopez for 9-10.

FRONT ROW
The scrum is a major concern. We haven't been dominant there since the first two games of last year's 6N edition. Nico Mas is done for permanently at int'l level, and we absolutely need to start seriously implementing Paris' Rabah Slimani. Uini Atonio adds punch and holds up alright as a backup, and maybe just maybe Mas with all his experience off the bench is something to try out. Surely they'll keep him anyways, as their stubborn ways won't allow for an intelligent decision. He might even play the WC, which is scary right now.

The LH end is now the area that concerns the most fans in France. Has Domingo really found good form again for sure, so that we can pick him ? Ménini is world class there: he does everything a modern prop should, as he gets flanker like stats, is highly involved on both ends in the loose and can also really hold up at scrum time. But others are still a bit too inexperienced to pick (Ben Arous, Chaume, Chiocci, ***chit, Sèb Tao or others) and a number are too old/uncertainties (Poux, Debaty, Barcella, Forestier...). I'm hoping we can go Ménini+Domingo for this one.

SECOND ROW
Hoping for Big Tao (Toulon) to make his return. Held back because of citing this past EOYT, his raw grunt and power but typically Pacific-Islander's soft hands and skill for a big man will bring real added value to a team struggling to play as a team.

BACK ROW
Picamoles has returned from a horrible lung infection he caught down undah last June, lost almost 10kg during that time but seems to have found good form again. In modern Rugby today, a strong Tier 1 nation needs go forward with their no.8 and I don't think Chouly with his technical/high workrate style cuts it for us, we'll need fee-fi-fo-fum back.

Hoping hard for Antoine Burban to make his return. He's a world class flanker who does literally everything the modern third rower does: carries, turns over, tackles, plays with heart. All at an elite level.

MIDFIELD
This is almost too overwhelming a subject to even begin anywhere...the very, very best we've got here are Fofana, Bastareaud, Lamerat, Dumoulin, Fritz, Mermoz. Fofana at least the way they use him for France (as opposed to an organized environment like the ASM) is in his most raw, free form: a 13. He's a crosser, not a creator. You've never seen him make a nice pass in a blue jersey because there's absolutely no scheme or conscious order of things out back. And this will come as a surprise to some, but even Bastareaud can really feed his guys, just watch him play with Mermoz at Toulon.
So realistically, *because* France are so pathetic at making anything work at all and fail at adding anything to a player's only individual ability, we need to *force* passing into this lineup. I think Lamerat is probably the best center in the entire Top 14, but he's young, he'll have to wait post-RWC unfortunately - we have to go 12. Dumoulin 13. Fofana with Basta off the bench.
As a nation that's played with fluidity and good ball circulation in the backlines as a culture, all of France is deploring right now the chasm that's taken place in the midfield under Saint-André. We absolutely need any of Mermoz and Dumoulin who are natural creators and distributors of the ball, and Dumoulin might get a nod because of this ability to be a line-breaker too and play while standing up in heavy contact, Jauzion style.

BACK THREE
Thomas' defense is just simply a real concern, and maybe it's time to implement our Fijian youthful weapon: Clermont's Noa Nakaitaci. Sofiane Guitoune will likely be healthy too...while Huget is a must on one end.

Racing's Dulin returns. He seemed inevitable for a long time but with Spedding's heart and sheer team spirit and ability to give the ball to his fellow man, the question is now posed.

Those are the areas where change will possibly occur in comparison with the EOYT.

I myself would go with

1. Alexandre Menini
2. Guillem Guirado
3. Nicolas Mas
4. Pascal Pape
5. Sebastien Vaahamina
6. Antoine Burban
7. Bernard le Roux
8. Damien Chouly
9. Rory Kockett
10. Camille Lopez
11. Teddy Thomas
12. Wesley Fofana
13. Maxime Mermoz
14. Yoann Huget
15. Scott Spedding

16. Christian Tolofua 17. Thomas Domingo 18. Uini Atonio 19. Roman Taomifuena 20. Thierry Dusatoir 21. Morgan Parra 22. Francois Trinh-Duc 23. Maxime Medard

I would go for
1.Domingo
2.Kayser
3.Slimani
4.Maestri
5.Vahaaminha
6.Chouly
7.Dusautoir
8.Picamoles
9.Machenaud
10.Lopez
11.Thomas
12.Fofana
13.Fritz
14.Guitone
15.Dulin

16.Tolofua 17.Menini 18.Atonio 19.Taofifénua 20.Nyanga 21.Bezy 22.Trinh-Duc 23.Lamerat

Has Fofana played 13 for France? He's always struck me as more of a 13 style player with his reluctance to pass but superb running ability. I love watching him run, actually. He's one of those that you can't quite see how he's doing it, he looks kind of laboured but then as you go to tackle him his hips seem to curve space/time and his upper body seems to deny gravity to keep him out the way. In completely different ways, Caucaunibuca and Jason Robinson also had running styles which seemed slightly out of touch with the generally accepted Laws of Physics. Anyway, I like Fofana as a player, I've also been impressed by Dumoulin from what I've seen (I believe we were discussing this in the Racing ERCC Pool thread, @Big Ewis?) and I'd personally pick the two together, although Mermoz is also class I feel he and Fofana don't work well together.

For my money:

1. Xavier Chiocci - I may be incorrect here ... the guy who looks a lot like Bastareaud, came off the bench against Aussie and had a stormer? Showing my lack of knowledge I know, but I don't know much about most of the candidates and I was impressed by him
2. Guillem Guirado - Is Szarzevsky out the running entirely nowadays? I guess he's pretty old but he looked pretty decent in the ERCC these last couple of weekends I recall?
3. Nicolas Mas
4. Pascal Pape
5. Sebastien Vaahamina
6. Thierry Dusatoir
7. Bernard le Roux
8. Louis Picamo
9. Morgan Parra
10. Francois Trinh-Duc - A very kicky halfback pair. I believe that's a good starting point for a team who needs to start getting some structure in their lives, and there's plenty of flair ouitside them to unlock defences if necessary.
11. Teddy Thomas
12. Alexandre Dumoulin
13. Wesley Fofana - yeah I know, Fofa / Dumoulin are the wrong way round, but they just feel more natural to me this way round
14. Yoann Huget
15. Scott Spedding

Last edited by a moderator:
Every Time Ref your post contains very true elements, which I share the views of exactly. And I appreciate the past 3 posts have been from English posters who are interested by and contribute to more than just their own nation's subject.

Fofana is exactly as you say. He seems like he's done for as two guys corner him, and then you see him in front somehow...just somehow. He's one hell of a crafty guy, and doesn't have blazing speed but his steps and running are elusive as anyone's, maybe ever. Like Dan Carter before him, just writhes out of contact somehow...and it's always as 'shocking' to watch, it's more than just surprising it's exactly as you say those guys "defy the laws of physics" that's word-for-word how I describe it. His try in Italy last 6N was one of those wtf moments: when I watched live I thought he'd get pushed into touch for sure but as you watch the play unfold you can see he didn't doubt for a second he was in...uncanny:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWYPHc4Phgg

He's had a number of those moments where he doesn't necessarily score tries but he gets out of situations and you kind of look around like "wh...really ?".

Then I agree with you as stated before I think Fofana is a 13. He's a crosser, not a creator for a first center in his most raw, spontaneous form. But he's a very well-rounded Rugby player and watching him every game for Clermont, you see why he's there rather than 13. Again, France under PSA have had no schemes/combs for their backs, and therefor every player has had to play hero ball on their own.
I agree with your order there with 12. Dumoulin 13.Fofana as stated in the OP also.

The only guy I know who looks a lot like Bastareaud is Steffon Armitage, and he isn't quite French yet ! Our looseheads in Aus were Menini, Domingo, Debaty.
Maybe you're talking about Eddy Ben Arous, the Racingman, but he played in last year's June tour of NZ.

1. Xavier Chiocci - I may be incorrect here ... the guy who looks a lot like Bastareaud, came off the bench against Aussie and had a stormer? Showing my lack of knowledge I know, but I don't know much about most of the candidates and I was impressed by him

I think the prop you're talking about is Uini Antonio.

oooohhh right, dear dear...against Australia LAST MONTH. Yes, Uini "Weeni" Atonio, Tighthead prop and young captain in La Rochelle.

oooohhh right, dear dear...against Australia LAST MONTH. Yes, Uini "Weeni" Atonio, Tighthead prop and young captain in La Rochelle.

Is he really the captain? Man I still remember when he was in NZ at Wesley College, he's come a long way.

Is he really the captain? Man I still remember when he was in NZ at Wesley College, he's come a long way.

lost some of that weight, plays with passion, captaining a Top 14 side at his young age. Holds up pretty well in the scrum, impressively well for such a large unit in fact. Shows impressive cardio and endurance (starting against teams like Clermont, Toulouse, Toulon...). And then, his obvious athletic/technical qualities for a 140kg TH prop.

This is the team I would have picked

1.Chiocci
2.Kayser
3.Slimani
4.Maestri
5.Pape
6.Burban
7.Dusautoir
8.Picamoles
9.Parra
10.Lopez
11.Thomas
12.Fofana
13.Bastareaud
14.Guitone
15.Speeding

16.Tolofua 17.Menini 18.Atonio 19.Vahaamahina 20.Nyanga 21.Kockott 22.Trinh-Duc 23.Huget

^ not bad at all Scotty. I have an issue with Tolofua, Huget on the bench and two rookies on the wing starting, Fofana+Basta at the same time (no distribution) and Chiocci starting.

two inexperienced but two very good wingers, I thought you Rated Tolofua and Chiocci quite highly ?

I would go for
1.Domingo
2.Kayser
3.Slimani
4.Maestri
5.Vahaaminha
6.Chouly
7.Dusautoir
8.Picamoles
9.Machenaud
10.Lopez
11.Thomas
12.Fofana
13.Fritz
14.Guitone
15.Dulin

16.Tolofua 17.Menini 18.Atonio 19.Taofifénua 20.Nyanga 21.Bezy 22.Trinh-Duc 23.Lamerat

Bézy in an interesting pick, I certainly would not rank him so highly in the French no.9 hierarchy (Pélissié and Parra being ahead of him in my opinion), but he sure has proved quite impressive and very reliable for Toulouse in the past couple of games. With Vermaak likely to leave at the end of the season, he may become Toulouse's starter at scrum-half in the years to come.
Again, this shows that there's no need for Kockott at scrum-half, there's plenty enough younger French talent available.

Bézy in an interesting pick, I certainly would not rank him so highly in the French no.9 hierarchy (Pélissié and Parra being ahead of him in my opinion), but he sure has proved quite impressive and very reliable for Toulouse in the past couple of games. With Vermaak likely to leave at the end of the season, he may become Toulouse's starter at scrum-half in the years to come.
Again, this shows that there's no need for Kockott at scrum-half, there's plenty enough younger French talent available.

It is strange that Kock has been picked for France this season just because he became qualified considering he has played rubbish even when his head has been in the game which is rarely when playing for Castres this season!!

It is strange that Kock has been picked for France this season just because he became qualified considering he has played rubbish even when his head has been in the game which is rarely when playing for Castres this season!!

Could say the exact same thing about Talès, he's been really mediocre for the past two years, since the 2012 Top 14 final as a matter of fact.
Saint-André, who has been asking for his 9-10 duo to be complementary and chemistry, has no choice, with Trinh-Duc injured, but to play Clermont teammates Parra and Lopez, who are training together everyday and playing together most weeks.
Besides, there's no time to start from scratch with the WC being so close.

True. But it's not strange for FFR. When you don't have a strategy and your selectorial decisions are based on the latest name in the media, this is what you end up with.

If there is one position when we have ridiculous depth it's definitely SH. No need for Kockott who is a fine player but just not needed and with zero international experience.
The priority should have been to manage the existing pool of established SH i.e Parra Machenaud Doussain instead of picking poor substitutes (Tillous-Borde) and overlook form player with experience (Machenaud)

Same comment about 10. We don't need Tales at this stage. Lopez has so much more to offer. Great hands, great left boot, vision, big defense, fast (Tales is so slow). Trinh-duc will be back. Here's your 2 fly-haves. Now give them game time and work on the partnership with the right SH.

The Clermont halfback is an obvious choice. In fact they could pick the entire Clermont backline it would fare immeasurably better than the selections we've had for 3 years. Use Bastareau as impact player off the bench.

At this stage we should have a trimmed +30 group, not 74 ! This is confusing everyone, players, clubs.

There is still no team in sight :huh:. Just different flavours of "groups". The "group" thing is a selectorial cop-out.

Last edited:
two inexperienced but two very good wingers, I thought you Rated Tolofua and Chiocci quite highly ?

I do rate Tolofua but Guirado and Szar need to be in front of him atm. Guirado is a battle-tested world class hooker who gets you stats and activity like a flanker, what the modern hooker is about, while ensuring clean hooker play. He's the best hooker Toulon, the best team in Europe, have and they've payed good money to acquire him. And Szar needs no introduction, and has played inspired Rugby since returning some 2 weeks ago.
Tolofua may be the most entertaining and impressive to watch but he's a total rookie still who needs to prove lots at club level first, still today.

Chistera, Tony: Kockott may not be the Kockott of the past 2 years, but he's still one of the best SH's in the world. He's had issues kicking goals notably, but his level of commitment and Rugby quality all-around is still top notch, and he's proven it playing at Test level this past Nov.
And Talès isn't as mediocre as some may think. For France of course he seems underwhelming, under a staff that doesn't know what they're doing. But for Castres he's been a pretty high level 10 the past 2, 3 seasons. He's got real skill (offloading, kick passes) even if he's still too raw as a playmaker. But his size and defense aren't negligible, and his kicking game is there when his head is right.

Then, for scrumhalves *right now* for France, in order I'd probably go something like:
1 Kockott
2 Tillous-Bordes
3 Parra (just returning from injury)
4 Machenaud
5 Bézy

And then any of Lesgourgues, Doussain, Audy, Paillaugue, Pélissié, Escande...

I do rate Tolofua but Guirado and Szar need to be in front of him atm. Guirado is a battle-tested world class hooker who gets you stats and activity like a flanker, what the modern hooker is about, while ensuring clean hooker play. He's the best hooker Toulon, the best team in Europe, have and they've payed good money to acquire him. And Szar needs no introduction, and has played inspired Rugby since returning some 2 weeks ago.
Tolofua may be the most entertaining and impressive to watch but he's a total rookie still who needs to prove lots at club level first, still today.

Chistera, Tony: Kockott may not be the Kockott of the past 2 years, but he's still one of the best SH's in the world. He's had issues kicking goals notably, but his level of commitment and Rugby quality all-around is still top notch, and he's proven it playing at Test level this past Nov.
And Talès isn't as mediocre as some may think. For France of course he seems underwhelming, under a staff that doesn't know what they're doing. But for Castres he's been a pretty high level 10 the past 2, 3 seasons. He's got real skill (offloading, kick passes) even if he's still too raw as a playmaker. But his size and defense aren't negligible, and his kicking game is there when his head is right.

Then, for scrumhalves *right now* for France, in order I'd probably go something like:
1 Kockott
2 Tillous-Bordes
3 Parra (just returning from injury)
4 Machenaud
5 Bézy

And then any of Lesgourgues, Doussain, Audy, Paillaugue, Pélissié, Escande...

Disagree on the Kock being either the best of the bunch or being committed for reasons stated previously!

As regards 10 Lopez is way out in front for me and dreams of FTD being anywhere near the RWC squad while PSA is involved are remote to say the least!!!!

Fofana is exactly as you say. He seems like he's done for as two guys corner him, and then you see him in front somehow...just somehow. He's one hell of a crafty guy, and doesn't have blazing speed but his steps and running are elusive as anyone's, maybe ever. Like Dan Carter before him, just writhes out of contact somehow...and it's always as 'shocking' to watch, it's more than just surprising it's exactly as you say those guys "defy the laws of physics" that's word-for-word how I describe it. His try in Italy last 6N was one of those wtf moments: when I watched live I thought he'd get pushed into touch for sure but as you watch the play unfold you can see he didn't doubt for a second he was in...uncanny:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWYPHc4Phgg

He's had a number of those moments where he doesn't necessarily score tries but he gets out of situations and you kind of look around like "wh...really ?".

Following sport is all about what we do on here, analysing, dissecting strengths and weaknesses, breaking down technique and tactics and arguing about it. But some rare players simply make you smile, and Fofana's one of those. Caucaunibuca I mentioned, Shane Williams, Christian Cullen, in a different way Chabal, outside rugby Muralitharan (Sri Lankan cricketer), although I was never much of a football fan Ronaldinho always did it for me ... these players are more satisfying to just enjoy than to pick apart their game.

Then I agree with you as stated before I think Fofana is a 13. He's a crosser, not a creator for a first center in his most raw, spontaneous form. But he's a very well-rounded Rugby player and watching him every game for Clermont, you see why he's there rather than 13. Again, France under PSA have had no schemes/combs for their backs, and therefor every player has had to play hero ball on their own.

Maybe a reason for playing him at twelve? It means your best hero ball runner gets the ball quicker and earlier. On the other hand maybe he's easier to mark there.

Is that the guy? In that case I guess put him at tighthead and Domingo at loose. You can probably tell I don't consider French front rowers my specialist subject...

10409227_573310652769950_1218211325709762481_n.jpg

Sure everyone should be able to make those out..

Latest posts