[2015 Six Nations] Scotland - The positive off this years six nations

iINDOMINUSxx

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Scotland
Club or Nation
Edinburgh
There seems that some off our fans are not to happy with the result off this year's six nations and think we are not improving at all, I'm not happy with the result either but there are positive's about this years six nations that we can bring into the Rugby World Cup later on this year.

1.) hopefully we can use wooden spoon as a wake up call for the Scottish team to play and train harder to prepare for the World cup.

2.) One which i mentioned quite a few time, We have scored a try in every six nations game, and that is something we haven't done in a long time and surely that show's signs off improvement

3.) Our under 20 team got 3 out off 5 wins in this years under 20 tournament which does show signs for a bright future for Scottish rugby.

So what do we need to work on for the RWC.

1.) Vern needs to work with the Scottish team to encourage to play consistently thought-out the game and last for the full 80 minutes, which this year shows that no matter how you start a game it doesn't mean you'll finish the game positively.

2.) Leadership will me a major problem and i feel Laidlaw is not the mad to lead Scotland into the world cup and i think it is time to call Kelly Brown back into the team to lead Scotland into the world cup

3.) I feel that for this tournament some off the picks were wrong, Hugh Blake and Hamish Watson are good players dont get me wrong but are they really as good as John Barclay who is on top form for the Scarlets or even Kelly Brown or Roddy Grant.

4.) I understand why Vern is trying to pick a youthful team but lack off experience could be a big disadvantage. Especially in the six nations.

5.) 2 professional teams in Scotland are simply not enough, They need to set up a new team soon to create more opportunity's for Scottish rugby players to play for a team at a high level.

What do you think is the problem with the current Scotland team atm.

Defence is very poor.

Mark Bennett is a real find though love watching him play.

Borders need to be a 3rd team. 4 is probably what you want but from what I've seen elsewhere SRU aren't the best run organisation.

You are just so passive in defence it's easy to make meters knowing you won't threaten our ball. Also be a bit less naive in attack.

Bennett, Scott and Dunbar are all ace.

I really like the Scottish backrow, as well - not sure there's a place for Brown there (as a starter), so he can't really be captain.
Do agree on Laidlaw though - his forms gone way down since his non-inclusion on the Lions tour, when he was hands down the best 9 in B&I. I'd genuinely look at starting Hidalgo-Clyne, if they trust Russell's kicking enough.

I really like the Scottish backrow, as well - not sure there's a place for Brown there (as a starter), so he can't really be captain.
Do agree on Laidlaw though - his forms gone way down since his non-inclusion on the Lions tour, when he was hands down the best 9 in B&I. I'd genuinely look at starting Hidalgo-Clyne, if they trust Russell's kicking enough.
Finn Russell is a fine kicker there is no reason why he shouldn't kick for Scotland, and if you look at the Scotland v Wales game or even Scotland vs Ireland Scotland looks better in attack with Hidalgo-Clyne on. I think the only reason Laidlaw is in the team is because off captaincy. But when Grant Gilchrist come back i want Laidlaw gone.

Has not Brown played quite a lot of games for Scotland and the Turks in 2nd row?

Huh, Laidlaw has been regarded as a massive success at Gloucester. Really keen on him.

Huh, Laidlaw has been regarded as a massive success at Gloucester. Really keen on him.
Well why couldn't he do that for Scotland in the six nations ?, He had a really good autumn tests but thats about it. While i haven't watched much games off him at Gloucester.

There have been SOME positives, I am not doubting that.

But, I will put this here instead of a new thread because we are packed with threads regarding Scotland.

It is a question (sorry lol).

Which players need to improve or get dropped for a while and who is close to making step up or ready to play for Scotland that is uncapped yet?

For me, Laidlaw is one that HAS to be dropped.

Blake, Strauss, Nel need blooded before World Cup, possibly same goes for Toolis, Tonks, Horne and Clyne.

There have been SOME positives, I am not doubting that.

But, I will put this here instead of a new thread because we are packed with threads regarding Scotland.

It is a question (sorry lol).

Which players need to improve or get dropped for a while and who is close to making step up or ready to play for Scotland that is uncapped yet?

For me, Laidlaw is one that HAS to be dropped.

Blake, Strauss, Nel need blooded before World Cup, possibly same goes for Toolis, Tonks, Horne and Clyne.
defo agreed with this he is not as good as he once use to be. Who needs to get capped ?, Definitely Roddy Grant he is like the other Scottish backrow's a very hard worker in defence. Hamish Watson needs to step up, he's a good player for Edinburgh but didn't play that well for Scotland and Toolis too. Would like to see Stuart McInally or Neil Cochrane have a game for Scotland.

- - - Updated - - -

And from Glasgow would like to see Zander Fagerson step up. Strong scrummager, he's been playing really well for the under 20's too.

If Laidlaw was dropped, who'd our kicker be, Weir, Horne or Hidalgo-Clyne?

For me, now or possibly after WC is time to start the rebuild.

Another good question is, who out of 6N squad deserves to be giving more time?

For me, Horne did make a huge blunder in game v Italy but does deserve another shot.

Plus, guys like Blake, Hidalgo-Clyne, Tonks and Toolis need more minutes on field.

Get these youngsters blooded now imo and then in 3/4yrs time start playing this Nairyavoro beast unless he chooses Fiji or Aus.

I am slightly in favour of the residency rule but wouldn't use it far to much so imo, Nairyavoro or whoever is 3rd after Strauss and Nel has to be the last one or else we will have no Scots :-(.

why on earth would you drop Laidlaw? he's been great in this 6Nations, completely changed his style of play to suit the new regime.... the guys quality.

Distribution, kicking game, marshalling. He's a running game away from a complete game for a 9. He doesn't snipe at the fringes at all that much. Which is quite a big thing for a modern 9 to be missing to be honest, but he's still a quality player regardless.

Distribution, kicking game, marshalling. He's a running game away from a complete game for a 9. He doesn't snipe at the fringes at all that much. Which is quite a big thing for a modern 9 to be missing to be honest, but he's still a quality player regardless.

all this, though i would add if you watch the Bennett try from the England game he's is constantly sniping around the edges.

Latest posts