[2015 Six Nations] Scotland

iINDOMINUSxx

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Scotland
Club or Nation
Edinburgh
It will be interesting to find out how the new Scotland squad will react coming into this year. I don't see any reason why Scotland will not have a good Six nations. Unfortunately for me I can't see Scotland going above 4th but I can see Scotland making a few shocks against Wales and France, England I would love to see us win but if we are ever going to beat England it wont be at Twickenham and we wont beat Ireland after they're successful EOYT.

The Squad will be Interesting though, If I was Vern I wouldn't change much from the EOYT squad. Personally I would love to see Al Kellock and Kelly Brown return to the side.

HALFBACKS
I think there is no big discussion about here as I think Finn Russell at 10 and Greig Laidlaw at 9 is a good partnering atm. The only thing about the six nations is that I would like to see Russell take all the kicks for Scotland. In last years six nations Laidlaw was slow, But in the EOYT he is certainly alot quicker and right now there isn't a better Scrum-half then him atm. We really struggled to find a decent 10 and from Russell I think we found the person that we need. He plays a very good tactical kicking game and has a good sense on when and where to pass it too.

FRONT ROW

Scotland done well against a strong Argentine scrum, was happy that Scotland can match up in the scrum and believe it or not but I've started to have trust in Ross Ford, throw-in's were accurate enough and played really well I thought. There will actually be some competition for the loose-head prop with Al Dickinson starting for Scotland in the EOYT, Also got Gordon Reid and Ryan Grant there as-well, But personally due to the Glasgow's performance from the scrum's against Toulouse I wouldn't start a prop from Glasgow. But someone who is from Glasgow who I might consider is 18 year old Zander Fagerson. He was really strong in the scrums on his first Glasgow game. But I really don't know who to include for Tight-head for Scotland its either Geoff Cross or Euan Murray. For hooker I want to see Pat MacArthur back but I actually don't mind Ross Ford now.

SECOND ROW

I think the Gray Brothers at Second Row is good enough I just hope Jim Hamilton's game against Argentina was his last ever time I'm going to see him in a Scotland Jersey. I really want to see Al Kellock picked over Jim.

BACK ROW

There is plenty back row's from Scotland who I would like to see I hope to see Kelly Brown back at blindside for scotland with Blair Cowan at openside. Number 8 will be difficult but I would favour the young Adam Ashe, I really liked his playing style in the EOYT. But I would like to see David Denton back too.

MIDFIELD

I think Scotland midfield is one off the most underrated, Alex Dunbar is definitely the most underrated out off them all, a really strong ball runner. Unfortunately Mark Bennett wont be featured in this year's six nations as his injury against New Zealand will mean he'll be out for 12 weeks. But Matt Scott is returning so hopefully that means he will feature at 12 and Alex Dunbar moves back to 13. Wouldn't mind Peter Horne at 12 either but not my first choice. Hope that Sean Lamont doesn't feature at 13, yes he is a strong ball runner but he doesn't pass it enough for a centre or depending on his Exeter form add Byron McGuigan at centre.

BACK THREE

We definitely have a very strong attacking back three with Tim Visser, Tommy Seymour, Sean Maitland and Stuart Hogg. There is no doubt that Stuart Hogg will feature at 15, be very difficult for the starting wingers, Tommy Seymour after the EOYT should definitely be one off the wingers but the question is Tim Visser or Sean Maitland ?, if he picks his performance up in the pro 12 then I'll feature him because I think Tim Visser is more a threat atm. We do have good replacement's as well with Dougie Fife, Lee Jones or Max Evans who are very good in attack. I think Scotland are sorted in this area.

Our defence is alot stronger like when watching the New Zealand game we didn't get hammered. Our attacking is better but still needs work. But I think Scotland will be a threat in this years six nations and hope they do make shock's in the six nations.

I would like to see a team like this

1.) Gordon Reid
2.) Pat MacArthur
3.) Euan Murray
4.) Richie Gray
5.) Jonny Gray
6.) Kelly Brown
7.) Blair Cowan
8.) Adam Ashe
9.) Greig Laidlaw
10.) Finn Russell
11.) Tommy Seymour
12.) Matt Scott
13.) Alex Dunbar
14.) Sean Maitland
15.) Stuart Hogg

16.) Ross Ford
17.) Al Dickinson
18.) Geoff Cross
19.) Al Kellock
20.) Rob Harley
21.) Henry Pyrgos
22.) Rory Jackson
23.) Max Evans

1) Grant 2)Ford 3)Muarry
4)Gray 5)Gray
6)Denton 7)Barclay 8)Ashe
9)Laidlaw 10)Russell
11)Visser 12)Scott 13)Bennett 14)Seymour
15)Hogg

16)MacArthur 17)Reid 18)Cross 19)Gilchrist 20)Brown 21)Pyrgos 22)Weir 23)Maitland

1) Grant 2)Ford 3)Muarry
4)Gray 5)Gray
6)Denton 7)Barclay 8)Ashe
9)Laidlaw 10)Russell
11)Visser 12)Scott 13)Bennett 14)Seymour
15)Hogg

16)MacArthur 17)Reid 18)Cross 19)Gilchrist 20)Brown 21)Pyrgos 22)Weir 23)Maitland
Not a bad team there, It is very hard choices for centre but I think Alex Dunbar should be in there but that is my opinion. John Barclay is good but with Blair Cowan playing really well for Scotland i'm just not sure how you can't selected him but overall, I would be happy to see a team like that :)

I thought with Grant, Grays, Denton and Ashe you have lots of carrying options. Then the backline is just pure speed to support Laidlaw's half breaks and any forward carries.

Hey Scotty is Maitland a sure starter? Or does he have players pushing him for a spot?

Hey Scotty is Maitland a sure starter? Or does he have players pushing him for a spot?
There is two other players who competes for his position which is Tommy Seymour and Tim Visser but its usually either Seymour or Visser starts along with Maitland.

EDIT: Not sure if I should have counted Dougie Fife in there.

Last edited:
Ok, missed out most of the EOYT due to traveling but will try to give my XV for all the nations ;)

Front row: Dickinson - Ford - Murray
Second row: Gilchrist - Gray
Back row: Cowan - Beattie - Harley
Halfbacks: Laidlaw - Russel
Midfield: Bennet - Dunabar
Back three: Maitland - Hogg - Seymour

Courtesy: le monde du rugby ;)

Ok, missed out most of the EOYT due to traveling but will try to give my XV for all the nations ;)

Front row: Dickinson - Ford - Murray
Second row: Gilchrist - Gray
Back row: Cowan - Beattie - Harley
Halfbacks: Laidlaw - Russel
Midfield: Bennet - Dunabar
Back three: Maitland - Hogg - Seymour

Courtesy: le monde du rugby ;)
That is a team I would like to see but I don't know half the people there. Who's Dunabar ? ;)/ But Bennett will unfortunately miss the six nations through injury but Matt Scott is back so him and Dunbar in the midfield will be fine for us. I think if Gilchrist come's back he will replace Richie Gray and its Gilchrist and Jonny Gray in the second row as Richie will be on the bench.

Oops, typ-o :)
No bother.

Anyway, I've read this morning that Duncan Weir is out for the six nations as well as Grant Gilchrist and Henry Pyrgos and Rob Harley are most likely to miss the six nations. And Stuart Hogg is still fighting to recovery which could be good for us :(

Well atleast you have a good supply of locks and back rowers, Hogg would be a loss but then again Maitland would be there.

Well atleast you have a good supply of locks and back rowers, Hogg would be a loss but then again Maitland would be there.
Or I suppose there is no harm in trying Jack Cuthbert or Peter Murchie at fullback as they are playing pretty good for they're clubs

How is Tonks going ? He was playing 10 recently wasn't he ?

How is Tonks going ? He was playing 10 recently wasn't he ?
yeah, he's doing alright, He seem's to start 10 over Heathcote which I don't agree with totally but he isn't doing bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Who have Scotland got left fit on the flanks ATM?
atm we have Hamish Watson who is a 23 year old from Edinburgh who looks promising, Roddy Grant also available too. Not sure if Blair Cowan is out but if not then him. Kelly Brown can step in aswell and Glasgow has Ryan Wilson who was Scotland starting blindside flanker at last years six nations and Tyrone Holmes aswell but I wouldn't pick him.

Scotland Team:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Scotland squad for 6N: No place for Barclay, Cusiter &amp; Brown. Debuts for Hidalgo-Clyne, H Blake, B Toolis, H Watson <a href="http://t.co/USERp48BzS">pic.twitter.com/USERp48BzS</a></p>&mdash; Rugby World (@Rugbyworldmag) <a href="https://twitter.com/Rugbyworldmag/status/557520960811978752">January 20, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Latest posts