• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 Six Nations] Wales vs England (Round 1)

I guess you could try doing one of the Lions tests and comparing your results with the Mole's.

I'm sad, but I'm not quite that sad.

It should be noted there's a lot of rucks going uncontested in this game and that might be why I'm getting a far lower score.

Done the events of the second half leading up to Joseph's try. Joseph and Burrell making more of an impression that Marler, Hartley, Haskell and Vunipola. Feel happier throwing brickbats at Kruis' rucking now. He definitely enters the ruck far too upright. He'll be a beast when someone cures him of it.

Really interesting analysis @Peat. Enjoyed reading that a lot and confirms some of my own thoughts about certain players that had no analysis to back up.

How did Ford score rucking efficiency wise?

Visually he gets stuck in and moves bodies, but interesting to know if he's actually effective when he goes in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure tbh - one of those issues where I'm not happy with my work. I'm never entirely sure when he makes an impact and when he just runs into someone, does nothing, clings on, then a forward moves the ruck. He's certainly willing to get involved and does clear out a jackal in the build up to Joseph's try (albeit through what looks like side entry).

Have now done the full match. Looking forwards to doing the Italy match and trying to refine the process and adding some consistency to my scores.

One weakness of this approach is it pays no attention to holding a guy up in the tackle - be it turnover or slowing the ball down. I'm also somewhat unsure what to do about people latching on. There's a lot of players getting rightly lauded for their role there and it simply doesn't register here. I'd love to see some other sad ******* try and do a tackle index - aggressive hits, gainline concession, turnovers, useful misses, bad misses, permit offload and so on.

Kruis grows more effective as the half wears on, leading me to theorise that as he becomes more accustomed to the pace of the game, he gets more focused on what he is doing as an individual and his technique improves. He's second in the second half rankings and second overall - mighty workrate. Captain Duracell is first for both of those.

Joseph is third in the second half rankings. He's really got some power when he gets moving and you can see how well drilled Bath's players are technically. By my count, our centres got 29pc of the ruck points I awarded - impressive and not that unusual imo. Food for thought when considering the physicality of

Haskell's work rate improves but he's still behind Cole's 20 minutes and only one ahead of Tom Youngs' 25 (equal with Vunipola, who decreases). One sort of feels the team is still set up to play with Launchbury and Lawes in that respect. The different between Youngs and our sub props is pretty stark. Brookes and Mako are powerful lumps, but they're a fair way off of Marler and Cole - or Corbs and Wilson at a guess too.

Ford makes some timely interventions. Swear to god I did not see Anthony Watson in a single ruck that half, and Brown and May are less involved as well.

Apart from the last 5 or so when Wales are super-ragged and England are throwing everything at them, neither side contests the ruck much. I think there's 4 turnovers at the ruck total, 2 from us and 2 from them. The stats on the 6N site, when they refer to turnovers, they clearly mean every action that secures the ball for opposition control, be that Robshaw's interception or Twelvetrees collecting a loose ball. There's been a lot of rightful applause for Youngs' sniping, and rightly so, but it's a heck of a lot easier when the other side concedes a constant stream of good ball. Let's see how he goes when that doesn't happen...

Just rewatched the game and it is interesting hearing what the ref says when he disallowed Attwoods try:

"There is an obstruction, I'm not suprised at all, there is an obstruction by 17 white."

Not suprised at all? I know this is old now but does that not stink of the referee expecting England to obstruct and therefore not being impartial? Could mean the Welsh mind games before the game actually worked to a degree.

I'm a little bit worried about Welsh mind games currently. That was one event but alot of people were surprised Russell was cited after Gatland thought it could be red. If something happens to the Irish over the choke tackle I'll begin to really worry how much the ref's can be influenced pre and post game.

Not a fan of the mind games and don't want to see them creep in more and more.

Still this is conspiracy theory territory right now they probably aren't but they're giving a bad impression.

I'd be worried if the Easter event wasn't actually crossing/obstruction though.

I don't think is mind games influencing refs. They will get a short sit down with the ref leading into the game. They will have flagged up any concerns they had and areas they wanted policed..... So if they felt England ran blockers that would have said then.

The press stuff doesn't really impact the refs.

Last edited:

Latest posts