South Africa
Super%20Rugby.png

Loftus Versfeld, Pretoria

140401043934749262.png
Versus%20Super.png
Reds.png

19:10 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Teams:

Bulls: 15. Jesse Kriel, 14. Francois Hougaard, 13. JJ Engelbrecht, 12. Burger Odendaal, 11. Bjorn Basson, 10. Jacques-Louis Potgieter, 9. Rudy Paige, 8. Pierre Spies (captain), 7. Arno Botha, 6. Deon Stegmann, 5. Grant Hattingh, 4. Jacques du Plessis, 3. Trevor Nyakane, 2. Callie Visagie, 1. Dean Greyling

Substitutes: 16. Jaco Visagie, 17. Morné Mellett, 18. Marcel van der Merwe, 19. Flip van der Merwe, 20. Hanro Liebenberg, 21. Piet van Zyl, 22. Tian Schoeman, 23. Jurgen Visser

Reds: 15 Karmichael Hunt, 14 Lachie Turner, 13 Samu Kerevi, 12 Anthony Fainga'a, 11 Chris Feauai-Sautia, 10 Nick Frisby, 9 Will Genia, 8 Adam Thomson, 7 Liam Gill, 6 Curtis Browning, 5 Rob Simmons, 4 Dave McDuling, 3 Greg Holmes, 2 Saia Fainga'a, 1 James Slipper

Substitutes: 16 James Hanson, 17 Ben Daley, 18 Sef Faagase, 19 Marco Kotze, 20 Tom Murday, 21 Adam Korczyk, 22 Ben Tapuai, 23 Chris Kuridrani

Referee Jaco Peyper

AR1 Quinton Immelman

AR2 Pro Legoete

TMO Shaun Veldsman

Last edited:
erm... can i ask that we include the match day referee (s) aswell on the initial post? i mean they are really influential these days...

e.g i wanted to pick the reds for this game but when i saw the ref :eek: no way in hell the reds are winning this one... and its not even Craig Joubert :p

erm... can i ask that we include the match day referee (s) aswell on the initial post? i mean they are really influential these days...

e.g i wanted to pick the reds for this game but when i saw the ref :eek: no way in hell the reds are winning this one... and its not even Craig Joubert :p

Sure, the problem is that I don't always see who the refs are from the sources I use. But it's something I can add...

Well I'd better not go with the Aussie team for this one ... I don't want to wave a Red ... er ... at a Bull ... ummn ... Never mind.

... I think Cooper being injured again, is going to reduce the Reds chances greatly ... although Horwill's absence may allow them to play the whole match with 15 players on the field

This is a match the Bulls need to win and get 5 points from, non negotiable actually.

Some nostalgia:

Well, those were the days the likes of Matfield, Botha, FdP, Steenkamp and Habana were in top form. I can't see a repeat with defenses being much better than they were but at home and with Pollard back and in the right mindset I can see the Bulls get 5 log points off a misfiring Reds easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the Bulls will be glad that 4 springboks are back in contention and are declared fully fit: Flip v/d Merwe, Arno Botha, Handre Pollard and Jan Serfontein.

I hope all 4 of them start!!

I can't see anything other than an absolute walloping in this to be quite honest. Reds aren't playing well obviously, but also understrengthed and have to travel to a pretty difficult location. Bulls will get their 5 points and secure their place as South African conference leaders. Because imo, I think the Sharks will struggle against the Lions.

So only 2 changes in the starting 15 and 1 on the bench.

Handre Pollard and Jan Serfontein has been given another week off to rest and recover, and Flip will play his first game back from the bench.

Reds named

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Super15/Reds-name-side-for-Loftus-visit-20150409

... Nick Frisby at 10

Reds:
15 Karmichael Hunt, 14 Lachie Turner, 13 Samu Kerevi, 12 Anthony Fainga'a, 11 Chris Feauai-Sautia, 10 Nick Frisby, 9 Will Genia, 8 Adam Thomson, 7 Liam Gill, 6 Curtis Browning, 5 Rob Simmons, 4 Dave McDuling, 3 Greg Holmes, 2 Saia Fainga'a, 1 James Slipper
Substitutes: 16 James Hanson, 17 Ben Daley, 18 Sef Faagase, 19 Marco Kotze, 20 Tom Murday, 21 Adam Korczyk, 22 Ben Tapuai, 23 Chris Kuridrani

Again the Refs totally different interpretations in each game.

Look at the double movement for the try for the bulls in this game. He gives the try.

Look at the double movement for the no try in the blues game. He does not give the try.

Im sorry but to me there is no difference between either of these. If anything the bulls one was even more blatantly not a try.

Peyper is a pathetic ref, the try of Genia should also not have been awarded as he was crawling. He also like usual had no clue at scrum time

Again the Refs totally different interpretations in each game.

Look at the double movement for the try for the bulls in this game. He gives the try.

Look at the double movement for the no try in the blues game. He does not give the try.

Im sorry but to me there is no difference between either of these. If anything the bulls one was even more blatantly not a try.

Peyper is a pathetic ref, the try of Genia should also not have been awarded as he was crawling. He also like usual had no clue at scrum time

Hmmm...

It's debatable. I think Marcel v/d Merwe's try was a try. He is allowed to place the ball, and from my viewpoint he did exactly just that. Also, the ref referred it upstairs and got the call from the TMO. So why blame the ref??

Will Genia wasn't held, and there was no way that anyone would've stopped him. Crawling? maybe, but the ref wasn't in a position to see that, and not a single Bulls player complained about the try, so why bother??

I thought the first Reds try was the debatable one. Nick Frisby's pass went forward to Lachie Turner. But Nonetheless it was a brilliant move by the Reds fly half.

On the game itself. I'm very pleased with the Bulls (apart from the Scrums). They played without Victor, Pollard or Serfontein, and was tremendous at line-out time, on attack and tactical kicking. I thought Francois Hougaard was absolutely brilliant playing at the openside wing, and deserved the tries he scored. Burger Odendaal just keeps on performing the more he plays, and it seems like Rudi Paige is growing in the Scrumhalf role.

Arno Botha showed glimpses of what he's capable of with his first start, and Flip made a successful comeback off the bench.

This coming weekend it's the Sharks, and Pollard and Sefontein will be back in action. I wonder what the team will look like...

The Bulls scrum is a mess! Is Trevor not a loosehead? If so I wonder why FL doesn't at least once pick 1. Trevor 2. Strauss 3 Marcel just to see how it goes. It's vital that the Bulls win against the Sharks.

Great performance from the Bulls, they should forget that the Reds are a underperforming outfit this year and build on this result

Latest posts