• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2015 Super Rugby Grand Final: Hurricanes vs Highlanders

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What a game! Well done Highlanders.

I would have like to seen 'Canes win the ***le, mainly because of the rugby the played all season, Conrad/Nonu farewell, their fans at the stadium (looked like an awesome atmosphere) and the fact they have a lot of current ABs (justifies selection if they win?).

However the Highlanders played very smart rugby. I wouldn't say the 'Canes played dumb, they played the way they normally do but Highlanders did well to disrupt and halt all their threatening attacks.

Savea bombed a try (not a great night for the Savea's), however with the sideline conversion Barrett would have most likely missed anyway.

Highlanders played championship winning rugby. The kind of rugby that can stop the All Blacks. It is smart, they know exactly what to do depending on where they are on the field. The foundation is built on solid defense.

Gutted. Words can't describe it. I got out of that stadium fast.

Gutted. Words can't describe it. I got out of that stadium fast.

Don't worry mate, it could be worse.......at least you're not a Jaffa.

BTW, I'm a Jaffa trapped in a Crusaders body :(

- - - Updated - - -

Ive had 5 different kinds if speights!

She's a hard road finding the perfect woman boy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so happy they won they deserved it, played well all season. Well done Highlanders!.

Just got home, what a party.. Unreal result, I'm speechless...

Hard luck to the Wellington lads, they've been fantastic this season and gave it their all tonight. They really missed Ardie and I feel for Jane being out. Credit to their performance and attitudes. They're all great sportsmen.

For any doubters about the try, I think this image will clear it up 11027985_10206251800267196_3118570542812724969_n.jpg

I think we'll go on to win it next year with all the players leaving the other franchises, all we need to do is add a bit more for depth and find another 8, but I'm happy with Dan being at #8, he's awesome.. What a team, such passion.. Never thought I'd see this day!

#LegendLanders

Last edited:
"Just got home, what a party.. Unreal result, I'm speechless...

Hard luck to the Wellington lads, they've been fantastic this season and gave it their all tonight. They really missed Ardie and I feel for Jane being out. Credit to their performance and attitudes. They're all great sportsmen."

"speechless" being the operative word.

"Hard luck to the Wellington lads, they've been fantastic this season and gave it their all tonight. They really missed Ardie and I feel for Jane being out. Credit to their performance and attitudes. They're all great sportsmen."

Have you personally ever played rugby? Was it a game of two halves, were you on the back foot, are you the cliche meister?

Great win mate, you played well.

On to more pressing matters, are you free to give Steve Hanson advice, your words of wisdom are most welcome?

Knock it off you idiots don't waste the polices time with your petty bull**** they've got more important things to do then wipe the arses of a couple of keyboard warriors.

we are here to talk about rugby and one hell of a game.

Barrett was poor I thought, stood far too deep on attack and didn't do enough to control the game. His lack of improvement in that area worries me. Defensively he is miles better but otherwise he is the same player he was 2 seasons ago, inconsistent goal kicking and all.

The highlanders were all pretty good, Naholo did some very good things on D which was good to see. Elliot Dixon had a storming game, outshone Vito and Shields in the loose and in contact I thought. Although Shields and Broadhurst were both good in the tight in both sides of the ball.

awesome game to watch, some really good rugby played by both teams. For the record I can't see how the Dixon try was awarded, even in that photo above the ball isn't on the ground. If that was awarded against the ABs in a World Cup final I think even you highlanders fans would be outraged.

One of the best matches I've seen in a while!

Fantastic game for the neutral, very happy to see the Highlanders come away with it though!

"Just got home, what a party.. Unreal result, I'm speechless...

Hard luck to the Wellington lads, they've been fantastic this season and gave it their all tonight. They really missed Ardie and I feel for Jane being out. Credit to their performance and attitudes. They're all great sportsmen."

"speechless" being the operative word.

"Hard luck to the Wellington lads, they've been fantastic this season and gave it their all tonight. They really missed Ardie and I feel for Jane being out. Credit to their performance and attitudes. They're all great sportsmen."

Have you personally ever played rugby? Was it a game of two halves, were you on the back foot, are you the cliche meister?

Great win mate, you played well.

On to more pressing matters, are you free to give Steve Hanson advice, your words of wisdom are most welcome?

Trying to work out the angle of your post.

There were parts of the game we were on the back foot and especially in the 1st half and we put ourselves under pressure with some mistakes towards the end and showing some natural nerves.

I thought Savea was in but he left it behind.

Unreal.. can't believe it.

If you're trying to be sour in an obviously good sportsmanship post, then that's your problem mate and good luck to you.

Trying to work out the angle of your post.

There were parts of the game we were on the back foot and especially in the 1st half and we put ourselves under pressure with some mistakes towards the end and showing some natural nerves.

I thought Savea was in but he left it behind.

Unreal.. can't believe it.

If you're trying to be sour in an obviously good sportsmanship post, then that's your problem mate and good luck to you.

Fair enough, just out of curiosity how old are you? You're embarrassing me mate and by the way....I'm a real New Zealander, not that it matters anymore.

Sometimes less is more.

How old are you?

- - - Updated - - -

Knock it off you idiots don't waste the polices time with your petty bull**** they've got more important things to do then wipe the arses of a couple of keyboard warriors.

we are here to talk about rugby and one hell of a game.

Barrett was poor I thought, stood far too deep on attack and didn't do enough to control the game. His lack of improvement in that area worries me. Defensively he is miles better but otherwise he is the same player he was 2 seasons ago, inconsistent goal kicking and all.

The highlanders were all pretty good, Naholo did some very good things on D which was good to see. Elliot Dixon had a storming game, outshone Vito and Shields in the loose and in contact I thought. Although Shields and Broadhurst were both good in the tight in both sides of the ball.

awesome game to watch, some really good rugby played by both teams. For the record I can't see how the Dixon try was awarded, even in that photo above the ball isn't on the ground. If that was awarded against the ABs in a World Cup final I think even you highlanders fans would be outraged.

Without sarcasm, I agree. Great game

Well, there was blame on both sides. We should have been more prepared and approached that whole tournament differently. Clearly we needed a drop goal, because our attack patterns weren't going our way.

But when you don't get awarded a single penalty for almost an entire half of rugby, and it is indeed a tight game featuring a try that should never been given, then yeah - that is quite sickening. People told us we weren't allowed to "moan about the referee." A few years later, people from other nations were moaning the roof down when their respective team dipped out in 2011. So apparently you are allowed to moan about the referee when it suits.

No penalty was awarded in the entire second half for both teams, he choked no doubt but I don't think he was being partial.

No penalty was awarded in the entire second half for both teams, he choked no doubt but I don't think he was being partial.

NH refs will see things differently, the game was free flowing and quick. Scrums will be an issue regarding set pieces/set plays and mauls with quick set's/set plays blah blah blah.

Interpretation of ref's calls will be a key factor, having said that, as far as I know, the ref for the final hasn't been announced yet but I don't think it will be an English ref due to fact that England won't make the finals:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nh sh

Here's the thing, if you live in the UK and support, in particular, NZ rugby.
There is a pre-loaded suite of prejudices and justifications in the minds of rugby followers here.Super rugby is frothy and frolicsome, but real men, grim and virile, confront each other on muddy fields in front of purists and connoisseurs.
I sold friends this morning's game as, between the two best back lines in the world. What should be my position in response to comments that the tight play is inferior, and, that somehow this is unreal and unbalanced rugby?

Here's the thing, if you live in the UK and support, in particular, NZ rugby.
There is a pre-loaded suite of prejudices and justifications in the minds of rugby followers here.Super rugby is frothy and frolicsome, but real men, grim and virile, confront each other on muddy fields in front of purists and connoisseurs.
I sold friends this morning's game as, between the two best back lines in the world. What should be my position in response to comments that the tight play is inferior, and, that somehow this is unreal and unbalanced rugby?

Tell them to watch last weeks semi-finals and to have a coke and a smile....

Congratulations Highlanders on a great ***le win and commiserations to the Hurricanes. What a game of Rugby too, the intensity was incredible.

Good story for the Highlanders too, they were beaten by the Rebels 2 years ago and finished second last - just proves if you want something bad enough and you work hard enough for it, it will happen. Well deserved.

Just got home, what a party.. Unreal result, I'm speechless...

Hard luck to the Wellington lads, they've been fantastic this season and gave it their all tonight. They really missed Ardie and I feel for Jane being out. Credit to their performance and attitudes. They're all great sportsmen.

For any doubters about the try, I think this image will clear it up View attachment 3821

I think we'll go on to win it next year with all the players leaving the other franchises, all we need to do is add a bit more for depth and find another 8, but I'm happy with Dan being at #8, he's awesome.. What a team, such passion.. Never thought I'd see this day!

#LegendLanders

Yeah still pretty gutted but if I had to choose any team to lose to, it's the Landers. Yeah I'd definitely tip them as favourites next year but still a whole season of ITM Cup to look forward to, will no doubt be some bolters come through.

Id be well surprised if the HL can win this again next year.

Im not sure they may be keeping most of their players for next year but I think the stars just aligned for them a bit this year. They had **** as luck a couple of years back so they were due to get a bit lucky.

So many teams will be going all out to knock them over next year its going to be pretty tuff.

They are certainly well placed compared to others as far as attrition goes though.

Last edited:
Id be well surprised if the HL can win this again next year.

I wouldn't. They're not losing that many players and with the Chiefs losing quite a few players overseas and to sevens, the Saders not having a decent 10 and losing some core players and the Canes potentially losing a lot of fire power to Sevens and a few core players overseas, the Landers would be sure to have a good season in my mind. The Blues could also as there's some good talent there but lets see how Umaga goes. I will say that the Canes do have some good depth though so we could have a good run too - maybe we need to be underdogs for once.

I can't see the new teams having any look in, so really the Aus/ Saffa teams would have to step up to dent the NZ sides in the playoffs.

Latest posts