• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 Super Rugby] New Zealand Squads/Pre-season Discussion

He does get better when he has consistent game time. I don't think you'll ever see the Carter of 05/06. He's had too many injuries and is a few years older to have that again. But you'd still get an excellent player. When he's away singing, I'm confident he'd knock Cruden into next Sunday. I guess we'll put that theory to test as the Chiefs face the Crusaders in the third week :p I kinda expect that if DC does hit his straps, it'll probably about mid-season though. I do hope to see him at 12, relieving him of some responsibility and allowing him to just do his thing, even if it takes a few weeks.

Yeah I'm gritting my teeth with Boyd a bit - not a fan, not after that woeful Welly season - I watched every game and felt like I should have been paid a wage.

Chris Boyd deserves fans to have an open mind about him.

Sorry, this is about the ITM Cup so it's a bit off topic, but I see in the news that the Lions coach for next season is Earl Va'a. Early was the backs coach for the Lions team this season and a former Samoa number 10. Kind of a crappy choice imo, considering one of the contenders was Peter Russell. The Union cited the fact Va'a knew the Wellington club scene well .. but I think the Lions need a bit more than that.

The article pointed out that it's probably more to do with the fact the the Union is broke and couldn't afford Russell.

Early Va'a...talk about a heavyweight in the coaching scene. I stand corrected. We'll win the SR for sure.

Old boys club for sure. There really needs to be a total clean out in the Hurricanes/Wellington region.

The NZ franchises Adidas kits will be the same next year, right?

I thought that because NZ Super Rugby jerseys were out of stock in most of online stores and now most of online stores received more stock. This is a rare and unusual movement if they are going to change jerseys.

If they are going to change, the jerseys should be half price, also I never get stock of NZ Super Rugby jerseys at this time of year, plus most of the teams presented their new jerseys

Last edited:
Early Va'a...talk about a heavyweight in the coaching scene. I stand corrected. We'll win the SR for sure.

Old boys club for sure. There really needs to be a total clean out in the Hurricanes/Wellington region.

Word has it that Peter Russell would have brought Riki Flutey and Christian Cullen with him to help out. No idea how those guys are at coaching anything, but surely it would be something new and fresh. No use just recycling failed people.

I think it's a cost thing. But you have spend money to make money. If you want butts on seats you have to start winning. And to start winning you need the right administration. Easy to say I guess, but that's what it comes down to.

Word has it that Peter Russell would have brought Riki Flutey and Christian Cullen with him to help out. No idea how those guys are at coaching anything, but surely it would be something new and fresh. No use just recycling failed people.

I think it's a cost thing. But you have spend money to make money. If you want butts on seats you have to start winning. And to start winning you need the right administration. Easy to say I guess, but that's what it comes down to.

Well, Riki Flutey has no experience at coaching that I am aware of (considering he has been playing for Petone this year - and was going to play for the Lions before injury) - while Christian Cullen does have some experience with working with clubs in the Wellington region and has been focusing on player analysis tools.

Some Kiwi who has an Adidas rugby jersey 2014 and a Canterbury rugby jersey 2014? Perhaps the jersey of his Super Rugby team and the jersey of his ITM Cup team. I need to ask a question, pleaseee

I heard the plan was to bring them in less as coaches and more as ambassadors.

As expected, a few All Blacks will miss the starting rounds.

Blues - Mealamu (3 weeks), Tuipulotu (1 week)
Chiefs - Retallick, Messam, Cruden (all 1 week)
Hurricanes - None (travelling to SA, will rest a few guys later in the season)
Crusaders - Whitelock, Read (4 weeks)
Highlanders - None (first week bye)

Prediction

Chiefs or Crusaders to win it this year, Gut says chiefs.

The Reds are my dark horse this year, they've finally packed out there squad a little and the big youngster prop Topou (Tongan Thor) will make waves, ridiculous pace for a prop.

Chiefs or Crusaders to win it this year, Gut says chiefs.

The Reds are my dark horse this year, they've finally packed out there squad a little and the big youngster prop Topou (Tongan Thor) will make waves, ridiculous pace for a prop.

I think he'll get little or no game-time this year. Chances are he'll be a very average scrummager and the Reds have James Slipper, Greg Holmes and Ben Daley. He'll probably throw a tantrum if he isn't selected mind you.

I think he'll get little or no game-time this year. Chances are he'll be a very average scrummager and the Reds have James Slipper, Greg Holmes and Ben Daley. He'll probably throw a tantrum if he isn't selected mind you.

Yeah also forgot to mention Kermicheal Hunt and James O'conner, will be big impact to them, hopefully they will play JC on the wing where he's best, although no-one has played him there for season's now.. but i am a Reds fan so im bias :D:D:D:D

I agree with your comment, but i hope he gets some game time against the lesser team, is still a big prospect no matter what to be honest..

Not wanting to sound bias (Canes faithful - it's hard sometimes) but our team on paper, without any injuries is bloody strong. So strong I would be confident enough to say it was the best. Of course injuries will happen, the game isn't played on paper and that's why we have the comp! For our sake I hope we can fire immediately - which is unfortunately on the road in South Africa and injuries are limited.

That's an All Blacks backline right there (minus Woodward). So I'm expecting plenty of tries - for us :p

i've been saying form 96 that this is the canes year :( this year however, im much more confident as we have a few more decent forwards :) which was the canes biggest issue in the past

the AB backline have always been +-85% Hurricane players... Cullen, tana, lomu, Gear, Alitini, Nonu, conrad, aaron smith, weepu, Iremiah, Cruden, Barnett, Jane, Perenara etc

Highlanders full squad

Forwards
Kane Hames, Pingi Tala’apitaga, Ma’afu Fia, Ross Geldenhuys, Josh Hohneck, Brendon Edmonds, Liam Coltman, Ash Dixon, Tom Franklin, Joe Wheeler, Alex Ainley, Mark Reddish, Dan Pryor, Gareth Evans, John Hardie, Shane Christie, Nasi Manu, Elliot Dixon

Backs
Aaron Smith, Fumiaki Tanaka, Marty Banks, Lima Sopoaga, Hayden Parker, Trent Renata, Shaun Treeby, Jason Emery, Malakai Fekitoa, Richard Buckman, Waisake Naholo, Patrick Osborne, Ben Smith, Kurt Baker

Wider Training Group
Sam Anderson-Heather, Joe Latta, Lee Allan, Josh Renton, Tei Walden, Ryan Tongia

with guys like Thompson and Gear back i really feel we've missed a trick, there aren't many names there that will have team shaking in their boots. Seems to be a cycle with Joesph, either a strong backline or a strong forward pack, cant seem to get both. looking at a year of skilled backs either sitting on the bench (baker, emery) or getting back foot ball

Can't wait to see Ben Smith again!
Such an exciting player on the counter!

Welcome Ossau, me neither

Thanks Jabby, you'll probably see me on topics where people talk about the highlanders. I love this team and B. Smith in particular!
How do you think this season is going to be for them?

i'll be happy if we can make the playoffs again, seems more balanced than it has been in the past but trying not to get my hopes up

i'll be happy if we can make the playoffs again, seems more balanced than it has been in the past but trying not to get my hopes up

That would be great indeed.
I was so disappointed after the loss in Durban, it was so close.
Hope the Highlanders get a better scrum than last year ;)

Latest posts