• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 Super Rugby] South African Pre-season Discussion

Yeah that may not be the team we play, but it would be IMO the strongest team we could play. Itoje was the U20 captain and is long term seen as a blindside but still is a great lock, really powerful and a natural born leader. Marcelo Bosch is the arg centre. He's been poor really since he arrived, sometimes makes a half break but the guy outside him won't see the ball.

Of the other guys too watch. Ben Ransom is another academy player who has bags of pace and agility, not a great mind though. Unlike our normal full back Goode who is the complete opposite. Streather is a really talented OC who has pace and an eye for a try. Hopefully Hankin gets some time as he is a great 7, I think he was nominated or won the LV Cup player of the year last year.

Stormers team to face the Cheetahs;

Stormers: 15 Cheslin Kolbe, 14 Kobus van Wyk, 13 Juan de Jongh (vice-captain), 12 Huw Jones, 11 Dillyn Leyds, 10 Demetri Catrakilis, 9 Nic Groom, 8 Duane Vermeulen (captain), 7 Michael Rhodes, 6 Rynhardt Elstadt, 5 Manuel Carizza, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Vincent Koch, 2 Scarra Ntubeni, 1 Steven Kitshoff

Substitutes: 16 Bongi Mbonambi, 17 Alistair Vermaak, 18 Wilco Louw, 19 Jurie van Vuuren, 20 Jean Kleyn, 21 Neil Rautenbach, 22 Sikhumbuzo Notshe, 23 Louis Schreuder, 24 Kurt Coleman, 25 Johnny Kotze, 26 Robert du Preez, 27 EW Viljoen

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Stormers-power-up-for-friendly-20150127

Good to see Van Wyk and Etzebeth back. Hope Huw Jones goes well as we will be making regular use of either him or one of the outside back youngsters with De Allende shifting about if Taute keeps getting crocked. Reports stating Matt Turner has signed with us have been rubished. Apparently we are still after Tagicakibau who played for us last year helping out. I wasn't concerned about Habana and Aplon both leaving as we have good cover but with Taute injured (albeit only for 4 to 6 weeks) and Senatla with the Bok 7's team for the whole IRB 7's circuit things are getting a tad uncomfortable on the wing. De Allende could also cover wing again but with JdV out the whole season and Taute a regular on the injured list we'll need him in the centers. Pat Howard will in all likelyhood continue on at Munster.. we'll have to back our under 21s to come good in SR which is a big ask TBH. In the pack we are still waiting on Malherbe who should be ready for 20min off the bench against Boland I hope, Botha and Kolisi all coming back from injury, Carr (virus) and Burger (Japan). Sometimes I wonder if the problem lies with the medical staff over here or the trainers because one always gets the feeling it's the Stormers who keep having the most injuries in this tournament!

Last edited:
Stormers team to face the Cheetahs;

Stormers: 15 Cheslin Kolbe, 14 Kobus van Wyk, 13 Juan de Jongh (vice-captain), 12 Huw Jones, 11 Dillyn Leyds, 10 Demetri Catrakilis, 9 Nic Groom, 8 Duane Vermeulen (captain), 7 Michael Rhodes, 6 Rynhardt Elstadt, 5 Manuel Carizza, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Vincent Koch, 2 Scarra Ntubeni, 1 Steven Kitshoff

Substitutes: 16 Bongi Mbonambi, 17 Alistair Vermaak, 18 Wilco Louw, 19 Jurie van Vuuren, 20 Jean Kleyn, 21 Neil Rautenbach, 22 Sikhumbuzo Notshe, 23 Louis Schreuder, 24 Kurt Coleman, 25 Johnny Kotze, 26 Robert du Preez, 27 EW Viljoen

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Stormers-power-up-for-friendly-20150127

Good to see Van Wyk and Etzebeth back. Hope Huw Jones goes well as we will be making regular use of either him or one of the outside back youngsters with De Allende shifting about if Taute keeps getting crocked. Reports stating Matt Turner has signed with us have been rubished. Apparently we are still after Tagicakibau who played for us last year helping out. I wasn't concerned about Habana and Aplon both leaving as we have good cover but with Taute injured (albeit only for 4 to 6 weeks) and Senatla with the Bok 7's team for the whole IRB 7's circuit things are getting a tad uncomfortable on the wing. De Allende could also cover wing again but with JdV out the whole season and Taute a regular on the injured list we'll need him in the centers. Pat Howard will in all likelyhood continue on at Munster.. we'll have to back our under 21s to come good in SR which is a big ask TBH. In the pack we are still waiting on Malherbe who should be ready for 20min off the bench against Boland I hope, Botha and Kolisi all coming back from injury, Carr (virus) and Burger (Japan). Sometimes I wonder if the problem lies with the medical staff over here or the trainers because one always gets the feeling it's the Stormers who keep having the most injuries in this tournament!

I think all the SA teams was down for the count on the injuries front.

I hate these warm-up matches. It's usually where the long-term injuries took place. And most of the time it's the pitch that's the problem as it's not up to standard...

Anyways, I'm glad to see Kitshoff back in the mix. I'm really looking forward to him and Malherbe joining up in the front row.

Here's the Cheetahs team:

Cheetahs:

15 Clayton Blommetjies, 14 Cornal Hendricks, 13 JP du Plessis, 12 Michael van der Spuy, 11 Danie Dames, 10 Willie du Plessis, 9 Tian Meyer, 8 Willie Britz (captain), 7 Oupa Mohoje, 6 Jean Cook, 5 Carl Wegner, 4 Armandt Koster, 3 Ewald van der Westhuizen, 2 Martin Bezuidenhout, 1 Caylib Oosthuizen

Substitutes: 16 Stephan Coetzee, 17 Danie Mienie, 18 Coenie Oosthuizen, 19 Francois Uys, 20 Lodewyk de Jager, 21 Tienie Burger, 22 Shaun Venter, 23 Francois Brummer, 24 Francois Venter, 25 Raymond Rhule, 26 Willie le Roux

Last edited:
I think all the SA teams was down for the count on the injuries front.

I hate these warm-up matches. It's usually where the long-term injuries took place. And most of the time it's the pitch that's the problem as it's not up to standard...

Anyways, I'm glad to see Kitshoff back in the mix. I'm really looking forward to him and Malherbe joining up in the front row.

Here's the Cheetahs team:

Cheetahs:

15 Clayton Blommetjies, 14 Cornal Hendricks, 13 JP du Plessis, 12 Michael van der Spuy, 11 Danie Dames, 10 Willie du Plessis, 9 Tian Meyer, 8 Willie Britz (captain), 7 Oupa Mohoje, 6 Jean Cook, 5 Carl Wegner, 4 Armandt Koster, 3 Ewald van der Westhuizen, 2 Martin Bezuidenhout, 1 Caylib Oosthuizen

Substitutes: 16 Stephan Coetzee, 17 Danie Mienie, 18 Coenie Oosthuizen, 19 Francois Uys, 20 Lodewyk de Jager, 21 Tienie Burger, 22 Shaun Venter, 23 Francois Brummer, 24 Francois Venter, 25 Raymond Rhule, 26 Willie le Roux

Stormers and Sharks were way ahead though; 12+ injuries at any given time vs that of the interior teams' 5 odd injuries. It could also be the coast's heavier fields translating into tighter games and more injuries. I don't know.

Anyway that is a very average looking Cheetahs team if you ask me. They will probably pummel as at home with me saying that but I can't see them get anything but the wooden spoon this year. I know Brussow is still unavailable but no Boom Prinsloo?

Stormers and Sharks were way ahead though; 12+ injuries at any given time vs that of the interior teams' 5 odd injuries. It could also be the coast's heavier fields translating into tighter games and more injuries. I don't know.

Anyway that is a very average looking Cheetahs team if you ask me. They will probably pummel as at home with me saying that but I can't see them get anything but the wooden spoon this year. I know Brussow is still unavailable but no Boom Prinsloo?

Only Jean Cook and Willie Britz played more than 60 minutes on Saturday, all the others either didn't play, or was on for a very short time. Have a lookout for Danie Mienie. The young loosehead prop. He was at the Sharks last year, and it was between him and Thomas Du Toit to get a contract this year. He's no slouch at the scrums, and he's also a strong ball carrier.

I see they are keeping Willie Le Roux in cotton wool...

Bulls:

15 Jurgens Visser, 14 Jamba Ulengo, 13 JJ Engelbrecht, 12 Jan Serfontein, 11 Bjorn Basson, 10 Jacques-Louis Potgieter, 9 Francois Hougaard, 8 Hanro Liebenberg, 7 Lappies Labuschagne, 6 Deon Stegmann (captain), 5 Grant Hattingh, 4 Jacques du Plessis, 3 Werner Kruger, 2 Callie Visagie, 1 Trevor Nyakane.

Substitutes: 16 Jesse Kriel, 17 William Small-Smith, 18 Handre Pollard, 19 Piet van Zyl, 20 Pierre Spies, 21 Roelof Smit, 22 RG Snyman, 23 Nicolaas Janse van Rensburg, 24 Morne Mellett, 25 Marcel van der Merwe, 26 Jaco Visagie, 27 Duncan Matthews

I don't know why Jurgen Visser hasn't been dumped, f@k the guy is useless!

Bulls:

15 Jurgens Visser, 14 Jamba Ulengo, 13 JJ Engelbrecht, 12 Jan Serfontein, 11 Bjorn Basson, 10 Jacques-Louis Potgieter, 9 Francois Hougaard, 8 Hanro Liebenberg, 7 Lappies Labuschagne, 6 Deon Stegmann (captain), 5 Grant Hattingh, 4 Jacques du Plessis, 3 Werner Kruger, 2 Callie Visagie, 1 Trevor Nyakane.

Substitutes: 16 Jesse Kriel, 17 William Small-Smith, 18 Handre Pollard, 19 Piet van Zyl, 20 Pierre Spies, 21 Roelof Smit, 22 RG Snyman, 23 Nicolaas Janse van Rensburg, 24 Morne Mellett, 25 Marcel van der Merwe, 26 Jaco Visagie, 27 Duncan Matthews

I don't know why Jurgen Visser hasn't been dumped, f@k the guy is useless!
The better backline players are on the bench IMO. Is this me being stupid or Ludeke or some sort of 'impact off the bench' type plan or just rotation/rest/testing prior to the season proper?

The better backline players are on the bench IMO. Is this me being stupid or Ludeke or some sort of 'impact off the bench' type plan or just rotation/rest/testing prior to the season proper?

Kriel, Small-Smith and Van Zyl all played the entire 80 vs. the Cheetahs. I think he doesn't want to risk injuries. before the tournament starts. Pollard is also nursing an injury, so it's wise to give him some playing time in the second half.

Am I the only one that is glad to see Pierre Spies' name on the list???

Kriel, Small-Smith and Van Zyl all played the entire 80 vs. the Cheetahs. I think he doesn't want to risk injuries. before the tournament starts. Pollard is also nursing an injury, so it's wise to give him some playing time in the second half.
Fair enough.

For the Bulls he'll do fine. As long as I don't see his name in a Bok matchday 23 line-up.

Was my favourite player growing up, still want him to be back to his 2009 form.

Way back when the Bulls first one the SR and the couple of years after that the guy was devastating, I think he is still able to be that player but somewhere something happened to him and it seems to me he is holding back.

Way back when the Bulls first one the SR and the couple of years after that the guy was devastating, I think he is still able to be that player but somewhere something happened to him and it seems to me he is holding back.

It was that blood-related illness he had. I know that affected him a lot, there were numerous articles in magazines with him, where he feared that it could end his career and life.

My hope is that he's now less fearful of the illness. All indications are there that he is hungry to play. And from what I gather, he's in the best shape of his life. So I hope he performs. It could just be beneficial to the Boks to have 2 great in-form no. 8's at the World Cup.

It was that blood-related illness he had. I know that affected him a lot, there were numerous articles in magazines with him, where he feared that it could end his career and life.

My hope is that he's now less fearful of the illness. All indications are there that he is hungry to play. And from what I gather, he's in the best shape of his life. So I hope he performs. It could just be beneficial to the Boks to have 2 great in-form no. 8's at the World Cup.

Yes but who to choose! I mean, we can't have all of Vermeulen, Carr AND Whiteley in the same matchday 23!

But on Spies, he has the physique but he needs to find a way to put those gym session stats to use on a rugby pitch. I don't know whether that is just confidence or that he is just not implemented correctly. Some things just can't be coached and has been lacking from Spies' game.. at least for the last 4/5 years or so.

Yes but who to choose! I mean, we can't have all of Vermeulen, Carr AND Whiteley in the same matchday 23!

But on Spies, he has the physique but he needs to find a way to put those gym session stats to use on a rugby pitch. I don't know whether that is just confidence or that he is just not implemented correctly. Some things just can't be coached and has been lacking from Spies' game.. at least for the last 4/5 years or so.

Heyneke Meyer.

Since HM left the Bulls, Spies' form dropped. Ludeke and the other coaches tried to change the way he played, but it backfired.

with HM back in SA and part of the rugby coaching system, I'm sure Spies will be better this year, even if it's just to prove to HM that he is still the guy that HM turned into a no.8

Saracens team to face Blue Bulls: 15. Ben Ransom; 14. Jack Wilson, 13. Tim Streather, 12. Chris Wyles, 11. David Strettle; 10. Charlie Hodgson, 9. Neil de Kock; 1. Richard Barrington, 2. Brett Sharman, 3. Petrus Du Plessis, 4. Jim Hamilton, 5. Valentin Poparlan, 6. Jackson Wray, 7. Kelly Brown ©, 8. Ernst Joubert.

Saracens team to face Blue Bulls: 15. Ben Ransom; 14. Jack Wilson, 13. Tim Streather, 12. Chris Wyles, 11. David Strettle; 10. Charlie Hodgson, 9. Neil de Kock; 1. Richard Barrington, 2. Brett Sharman, 3. Petrus Du Plessis, 4. Jim Hamilton, 5. Valentin Poparlan, 6. Jackson Wray, 7. Kelly Brown ©, 8. Ernst Joubert.

Maintaining the club policy of giving opportunities to talented players from the Saracens global network, Valentin Poparlan, of Timisoara Saracens and Romania, is included.

I only just picked up onj this Saracens Global network thing... it's quite mad all things considered.

Sharks touring squad to take on Toulon on Feb 5th named.

Sharks touring squad:
Forwards

Bismarck du Plessis
Dale Chadwick
Etienne Oosthuizen
Kyle Cooper
Lourens Adriaanse
Tera Mtembu
Marcell Coetzee
Marco Wentzel
Matt Stevens
Monde Hadebe
Mouritz Botha
Pieter-Steph du Toit
Renaldo Bothma
Beast Mtawarira

Backs

Andre Esterhuizen
Cobus Reinach
Conrad Hoffmann
Fred Zeilinga
Heimar Williams
Lwazi Mvovo
Odwa Ndungane
Patrick Lambie
Paul Perez
S'bura Sithole
SP Marais

Waylon Murray

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Sharks-name-squad-for-Toulon-trip-20150130

Should be an exciting enough encounter. I just wonder about the wisdom of the Sharks and Bulls taking on overseas teams what with the players making fuss about the travel schedules in SR as is.

I was surprised that the Bulls managed a win where the Stormers and Sharks could not (though the Stormers did beat Sarries in Cape Town). Pretty down to the pack getting the upper hand in general play and the Bulls taking their chances more often whereas Sarries B did not. I was quite glad to see Jacques du Plessis remain a force when moved to lock. If Etzebeth can continue to improve and an get back to 2013 form and PS du Toit can do the same we are sorted in the locks for the RWC. Matfield, FvdM and De Jager providing decent depth.

Same old same old from Hougaard. First kick of the ball went directly into touch but he looks good when he plays his own game. Hope both Bulls and Bokke adapt their game to suit their players; Hougaard (as well as Reinach and Pollard in the halves) like to kee ball in hand.

Last edited:
I was surprised that the Bulls managed a win where the Stormers and Sharks could not (though the Stormers did beat Sarries in Cape Town). Pretty down to the pack getting the upper hand in general play and the Bulls taking their chances more often whereas Sarries B did not. I was quite glad to see Jacques du Plessis remain a force when moved to lock. If Etzebeth can continue to improve and an get back to 2013 form and PS du Toit can do the same we are sorted in the locks for the RWC. Matfield, FvdM and De Jager providing decent depth.

Same old same old from Hougaard. First kick of the ball went directly into touch but he looks good when he plays his own game. Hope both Bulls and Bokke adapt their game to suit their players; Hougaard (as well as Reinach and Pollard in the halves) like to kee ball in hand.

Yeah, I'm glad to see Frans Ludeke is listening to other sources regarding his players. Jacques Du Plessis can just be the next Danie Rossouw, and he showed again against the Sarries what great talent he is.

On the gameplay, I think it would change when the Super Rugby starts, this was the only televised game so far of the warm-up matches, and I doubt there will be many more. It would be a bad idea to show all of your moves and styles in a warm-up match to give other teams some insight.

On Hougie, yeah that kick was poor, but it was his first game in 3 months, and it looked rather cold there in England. It had to take a while for the guys to get used to the conditions. And that strong wind didn't help either.

I'm just so happy that Arno Botha and Pierre Spies got back from injury, and didn't get hurt in the 2 warm-up games. I hope Marcel v/d Merwe is ok, it looked like he tore his knee ligaments, on the other knee which wasn't just operated on.

Latest posts