South Africa
Super%20Rugby.png

Newlands Stadium, Cape Town

Stormers.png
Versus%20Super.png
140520034314297450.png

19:10 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Teams:

Stormers: 15 Cheslin Kolbe, 14 Johnny Kotze, 13 Juan de Jongh, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Dillyn Leyds, 10 Demetri Catrakilis, 9 Nic Groom, 8 Duane Vermeulen (captain), 7 Siya Kolisi, 6 Nizaam Carr, 5 Manuel Carizza, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Vincent Koch, 2 Scarra Ntubeni, 1 Steven Kitshoff

Substitutes: 16 Neil Rautenbach, 17 Alistair Vermaak, 18 Frans Malherbe, 19 Jean Kleyn, 20 Schalk Burger, 21 Louis Schreuder, 22 Kurt Coleman, 23 Huw Jones

Sharks: 15. SP Marais, 14. Odwa Ndungane, 13. JP Pietersen, 12. Francois Steyn, 11. Lwazi Mvovo, 10. Patrick Lambie, 9. Cobus Reinach, 8. Ryan Kankowski, 7. Willem Alberts, 6. Marcell Coetzee, 5. Pieter-Steph du Toit, 4. Lubabalo Mtyanda, 3. Matt Stevens, 2. Bismarck du Plessis (captain), 1. Thomas du Toit

Substitutes: 16. Kyle Cooper, 17. Dale Chadwick, 18. Lourens Adriaanse, 19. Marco Wentzel, 20. Renaldo Bothma, 21. Conrad Hoffmann, 22. Andre Esterhuizen, 23. Jack Wilson

Last edited:
The Sharks have the bigger names but I'll back us to take it at home to make it 4/4 before we travel.

Etzebeth set to return to partner Botha, Malherbe already with 30 minutes under the belt and Kobus van Wyk a possible returnee (please!) on the right wing (where Kotze hasn't really impressed though it's tough to blame an U20 center for not impressing at this level out of position).

Critical game for us to keep us in the running as hereafter we host the Chiefs, have a bye and then our 4 game tour... will be needing to head into those with momentum. We have a good record against the Chiefs at home and have been traveling well enough the last few years so no reason not to expect anything else..

The Sharks have the bigger names but I'll back us to take it at home to make it 4/4 before we travel.

Etzebeth set to return to partner Botha, Malherbe already with 30 minutes under the belt and Kobus van Wyk a possible returnee (please!) on the right wing (where Kotze hasn't really impressed though it's tough to blame an U20 center for not impressing at this level out of position).

Critical game for us to keep us in the running as hereafter we host the Chiefs, have a bye and then our 4 game tour... will be needing to head into those with momentum. We have a good record against the Chiefs at home and have been traveling well enough the last few years so no reason not to expect anything else..

My Brother is so excited for this game.

It will be his first game he'll watch live at Newlands, and he's a big Stormers supporter. I hope for his sake that the Stormers win...

Pretty much a must win if we hope to progress to knockout stages as the conference winner. Losing at home to Cheetahs and not getting a point at Loftus is a huge dent.

Frans and JPP back in training, while Deysel is an injury concern. Now sure about Alberts' fitness

Frans and JPP back would be a big boost for the Sharks. I've felt they have been let down by the rookie center pairing as much as the Stormers have been by our outside backs not firing (okay, apart from Lleyds' few chances well took but nothing constructive yet from the Stormers backline).

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Super15/Etzebeth-Burger-boost-for-Stormers-20150302

Some confirmation above:

Etzebeth back in contention for a berth as well as Schalk Burger and our other promising young lock Jean Kleyn (I can totally see the Bulls making a move for one of Kleyn or Botha after not being able to hold onto their own Lions poach in Paul Willemse :p). Kobus van Wyk also in with a shout makes me more happy than Etzebeth or Schalla's return o_O

Botha should come through a concussion test fine I'd believe but I am concerned about Rhodes. Kolisi has not managed to regain any semblence of 2013 form for us in either CC or SR. Guess you can do a lot worse than having 4 Bok loosies battle for game time though :D

going with my buddies to this game, they all support SA teams, im the only AB... last time out, i was so drunk, i ended up backing the bulls :D

Backing the Stormers to take this one at home.

This would be a huge match for the Sharks to win and get their conference hopes back on track.
Not sure if this is a game or two too early for JPP and Steyn.

So JPP, Frans Steyn and Willem Alberts all straight into the starting line-up for the Sharks...

All of a sudden they look even more dangerous

So JPP, Frans Steyn and Willem Alberts all straight into the starting line-up for the Sharks...

All of a sudden they look even more dangerous

All 3 straight back in is a sign of desperation if anything if you ask me. I don't doubt their quality but I see it as a slap in the faces of those who did duty in their absence.

I prefer the Stormers are going about it with Burger on the bench. Yes, Etzebeth is coming straight back in but that's only because Botha got a knock and is out for the week.

On the game.. I'll admit I am somewhat intimidated by the Sharks line-up but they have been underperforming somewhat and I am hoping for some rust on their part to see us through as we've not been in top form either- I'll gladly take another ugly labored win if offered though while we wait on Van Wyk and Senatla to enter our fold again. We were hammered at the breakdown and done in at the line-outs by the Lions so its good to see Ntubeni start again with Etzebeth!! Burger should add some value at the end as well for Kolisi. We shouldn't stand back to the Sharks pack and I feel we have more dangerous weapons in the backs in the wider channels despite an obvious difference in class at 9 and 10 with the Sharks probably fielding SA's best halfback combination.

The sharks will be much better without Waylon murray in the team. Im sure the guy is a good oke but i don't rate his rugby talent on the big stage. Sharks will be a much better side with steyn in his place. Gold seems to favor Odwa Ndungane over Sbura Sithole for some reason even going as far as accommodating jp on outside centre so odwa can play instead of Sithole.

Nick Mallett and I are in agreement:

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Super15/Mallett-Pick-Kolbe-at-No-9-20150309

I only caught the highlights of this game, so can't comment on the game itself. My brother is a happy chappy though, his first game at Newlands and his team won. He sent me a pic after the game where he had a beer with Duane Vermeulen (they were in the same hostel at University).

Interesting comments from Mallett. I've been open to that particular move myself while Schreuder wasn't impressing and Groom was blowing hot and cold. We had Taute and Aplon to play at 15 as well.

At this stage, for the Stormers.. I'd prefer 9) Groom, 15) Kolbe though. We're going well and there is no reason to upset the apple cart. The tries aren't coming but with a little more accuracy (JdJ dropped the ball from De Allende with a clear view of the try line ahead of him) and Senatla and Van Wyk coming back I'm sure we'll come good.

Kolbe has the goods to play 9 at a high level but I say lets look at it after SR and trial him there in the Currie Cup first, then SR maybe and see how it goes.

Latest posts