• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 TRC] Argentina v Australia in Mendoza (25/07/2015)

iINDOMINUSxx

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Scotland
Club or Nation
Edinburgh
140916065417362597.png

140916065412996251.png
140916065416590853.png
140916065414622115.png

Kick off: 19:40 ART (UTC -3) (25/07/2015)
Venue: Estadio Malvinas Argentinas, Mendoza
Referee: Jaco Peyper (South Africa)

Teams:
[TABLE="width: 500, align: center"]
[TR]
[TD]Argentina[/TD]
[TD]VS[/TD]
[TD]Australia[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Santiago Cordero[/TD]
[TD]15[/TD]
[TD]Israel Folau[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Gonzalo Camacho[/TD]
[TD]14[/TD]
[TD]Adam Ashley-Cooper[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Matías Moroni[/TD]
[TD]13[/TD]
[TD]Tevita Kuridrani[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Juan Pablo Socino[/TD]
[TD]12[/TD]
[TD]Matt Toomua[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Juan Imhoff[/TD]
[TD]11[/TD]
[TD]Joe Tomane[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Nicolás Sánchez[/TD]
[TD]10[/TD]
[TD]Bernard Foley[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Martín Landajo[/TD]
[TD]9[/TD]
[TD]Nick Phipps[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Facundo Isa[/TD]
[TD]8[/TD]
[TD]Ben McCalman[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Juan Fernández Lobbe[/TD]
[TD]7[/TD]
[TD]David Pocock[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Javier Ortega Desio[/TD]
[TD]6[/TD]
[TD]Scott Fardy[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Tomás Lavanini[/TD]
[TD]5[/TD]
[TD]Rob Simmons[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Manuel Carizza[/TD]
[TD]4[/TD]
[TD]Will Skelton[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Ramiro Herrera[/TD]
[TD]3[/TD]
[TD]Greg Holmes[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Agustín Creevy[/TD]
[TD]2[/TD]
[TD]Stephen Moore[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Marcos Ayerza[/TD]
[TD]1[/TD]
[TD] James Slipper[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[TD]Subs[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Santiago Iglesias Valdez[/TD]
[TD]16[/TD]
[TD]Tatafu Polota-Nau[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Nahuel Tetaz Chaparro[/TD]
[TD]17[/TD]
[TD]Scott Sio[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Matías Díaz[/TD]
[TD]18[/TD]
[TD]Sekope Kepu[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Matías Alemanno[/TD]
[TD]19[/TD]
[TD]Dean Mumm[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Leonardo Senatore[/TD]
[TD]20[/TD]
[TD]Michael Hooper[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Tomás Cubelli[/TD]
[TD]21[/TD]
[TD]Nic White[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Santiago González Iglesias[/TD]
[TD]22[/TD]
[TD]Quade Cooper[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Lucas González Amorosino[/TD]
[TD]23[/TD]
[TD]Kurtley Beale[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Last edited:
Looks like Giteau, Genia, and Horne are out for this one ... Should be a good match as Argentina are pretty tough at home

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...teau-ruled-out-of-wallabies-with-chest-injury

Should be interesting to see what Cheik goes with after the poor performances of Cooper, Higgers, our front row bar Moore and an inconsistent effort by Gits. Hoping he goes with Phipps, Toomua and Lealiffano/Foley in the 9-12 channel, then reverse the bench for our props, puts Pocock in the starting line up and starts Horwill.

Last edited:
Will be interesting selection indeed.

I think Skelton will survive but Pocock will come into 8 for Higgonbotham and we will see how we fare with 2 genuine line out options and Skelton at the front.

I also think Cooper will survive, AAC will move to 11 and Naiyaravoro will make his debut in 14. Toomua to cover the loss of Giteau at 12.

You cannot disrepect Argentina, they are a good team but it presents our best opportunity to try things. One thing is for sure, we need to build a decent gap on them like we did in 2013, we allowed them to stay in touch last year and they outplayed us and deservedly beat us.

He isn't on the plane. Horne out, Cummins in

Yeah, it looks like Naiyaravoro's decision to leave for Scotland has killed his chances of a test call up now. Bit of a shame really - I'd hoped to see him running around with us a bit longer as he was improving steadily.

The head coach Daniel Hourcade today planted the next 15th, giving the first signs of the formation which would put against Australia:
Marcos Ayerza
Agustín Creevy
Ramiro Herrera
Tomás Lavanini
Manuel Carizza
Javier Ortega Desio
Juan Fernández Lobbe
Facundo Isa
Martín Landajo
Nicolás Sánchez
Gonzalo Camacho
Juan Pablo Socino
Matías Moroni
Juan Imhoff
Joaquín Tuculet

Will be interesting selection indeed.

I think Skelton will survive but Pocock will come into 8 for Higgonbotham and we will see how we fare with 2 genuine line out options and Skelton at the front.

I also think Cooper will survive, AAC will move to 11 and Naiyaravoro will make his debut in 14. Toomua to cover the loss of Giteau at 12.

You cannot disrepect Argentina, they are a good team but it presents our best opportunity to try things. One thing is for sure, we need to build a decent gap on them like we did in 2013, we allowed them to stay in touch last year and they outplayed us and deservedly beat us.

Looks like you could be on the money with Pocock starting at 8 (provided the swelling in his knee goes down)

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...y-as-scott-fardy-cut-in-the-head-in-argentina

Wallabies side announced:

1. James Slipper - (Reds - 64 Tests)
2. Stephen Moore, C - (Brumbies - 93 Tests)
3. Greg Holmes (Reds - 14 Tests)
4. Will Skelton (Waratahs - 9 Tests)
5. Rob Simmons (Reds - 51 Tests)
6. Scott Fardy (Brumbies - 20 Tests)
7. David Pocock (Brumbies - 47 Tests)
8. Ben McCalman (Force - 38 Tests)
9. Nick Phipps (Waratahs - 29 Tests)
10. Bernard Foley (Waratahs - 18 Tests)
11. Joe Tomane (Brumbies - 14 Caps)
12. Matt Toomua (Brumbies 22 Tests)
13. Tevita Kuridrani (Brumbies - 21 Tests)
14. Adam Ashley-Cooper, VC - (Waratahs - 105 Tests)
15. Israel Folau (Waratahs - 30 Tests)

Reserves

16. Tatafu Polota-Nau (Waratahs - 50 Tests)
17. Scott Sio (Brumbies - 6 Tests)
18. Sekope Kepu (Waratahs - 53 Tests)
19. Dean Mumm (Waratahs - 33 Tests)
20. Michael Hooper, VC - (Waratahs - 42 Tests)
21. Nic White (Brumbies - 19 Tests)
22. Quade Cooper (Reds - 54 Tests)
23. Kurtley Beale (Waratahs- 49 Caps)

Last edited:
I like the team generally. Think the decision to start Pocock and McCalman is right, and Foley and Toomua makes sense. I don't get Skelton getting another shot in the starting line up though - Horwill improved our performance when he came on and I don't get how he doesn't take his spot.

Wallabies side announced:

1. James Slipper - (Reds - 64 Tests)
2. Stephen Moore, C - (Brumbies - 93 Tests)
3. Greg Holmes (Reds - 14 Tests)
4. Will Skelton (Waratahs - 9 Tests)
5. Rob Simmons (Reds - 51 Tests)
6. Scott Fardy (Brumbies - 20 Tests)
7. David Pocock (Brumbies - 47 Tests)
8. Ben McCalman (Force - 38 Tests)
9. Nick Phipps (Waratahs - 29 Tests)
10. Bernard Foley (Waratahs - 18 Tests)
11. Joe Tomane (Brumbies - 14 Caps)
12. Matt Toomua (Brumbies 22 Tests)
13. Tevita Kuridrani (Brumbies - 21 Tests)
14. Adam Ashley-Cooper, VC - (Waratahs - 105 Tests)
15. Israel Folau (Waratahs - 30 Tests)

Reserves

16. Tatafu Polota-Nau (Waratahs - 50 Tests)
17. Scott Sio (Brumbies - 6 Tests)
18. Sekope Kepu (Waratahs - 53 Tests)
19. Dean Mumm (Waratahs - 33 Tests)
20. Michael Hooper, VC - (Waratahs - 42 Tests)
21. Nic White (Brumbies - 19 Tests)
22. Quade Cooper (Reds - 54 Tests)
23. Kurtley Beale (Waratahs- 49 Caps)

Good starting XV but you need a winger on the bench. QC and Beale are similar players

Yeah agreed. Don't know why you'd put both Cooper and Beale together... Should have brought Teqele really. I know he's going to Scotland, but he'd have been very useful in the final 20

I know Horwill didn't have a terrible game off the bench, but after his Super Rugby campaign I think he was lucky to be included in the squad at all. Played all year making terrible decisions, getting penalised and generally not contributing anything barring acting like a ****** off toddler.

I think that tight five may have a rough time against Argentina (although Argentina certainly had a rough time against the All Blacks tight 5, so maybe not). I agree the reserves of Cooper/Beale is quite strange. Not exactly going to sure up their defence in the last 10 minutes when you'd be hoping Australia would be trying to sit on their lead, not come from behind (which is when you may be tempted to bring them on).

Cordero at 15 sounds like an odd one, does he often play there? I haven't seen much of him but he doesn't strike me as the type of winger who transitions to full back well, not great under a high ball or with positioning.

Cordero at 15 sounds like an odd one, does he often play there? I haven't seen much of him but he doesn't strike me as the type of winger who transitions to full back well, not great under a high ball or with positioning.

He plays both positions. He used to play as a FB for both his club Regatas and U20 national team.
Considering the way we play against the sanzar nations, I think we can take the best of him playing at FB, since he will be more involved in the game. He needs to have the ball in his hands.

1- Marcos Ayerza
2- Agustín Creevy (c)
3- Ramiro Herrera
4- Manuel Carizza
5- Tomás Lavanini
6- Javier Ortega Desio
7- Juan Fernández Lobbe
8- Facundo Isa
9- Martín Landajo
10- Nicolás Sánchez
11- Juan Imhoff
12- Juan Pablo Socino
13- Matías Moroni
14- Gonzalo Camacho
15- Santiago Cordero

16- Santiago Iglesias Valdez
17- Nahuel Tetaz Chaparro
18- Matías Díaz
19- Matías Alemanno
20- Leonardo Senatore
21- Tomás Cubelli
22- Santiago González Iglesias
23- Lucas González Amorosino

Head coach: Daniel Hourcade

But against NZ, when you didn't have decent attacking ball all game he still did enough for me to notice him looking good. Against Aus in Mendoza, where you're likely to get much better ball for the backs that should translate to him being dangerous. Plus Tuculet and Amorosinii are your two first choices, no? I assume this is a pre-WC experiment?

But against NZ, when you didn't have decent attacking ball all game he still did enough for me to notice him looking good. Against Aus in Mendoza, where you're likely to get much better ball for the backs that should translate to him being dangerous. Plus Tuculet and Amorosinii are your two first choices, no? I assume this is a pre-WC experiment?

Against NZ he was OK for the few good attacking balls he got, but thats not enough for a player of his potential. Against Aus at home we might or might not have more possession and better balls for the backs, you never know with the pumas, specially when our pack doesnt look as dominant as the last year, and at the same time the wallabies' pack seems to have made some improvement. Not to mention Ledesma´s presence in the coaching team.

Latest posts