• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 TRC] Australia v South Africa in Brisbane (18/07/2015)

TRF_stormer2010

TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers

140916065417362597.png

140916065414622115.png
140916065416590853.png
140916065418551640.png

Kick off: 12h05 local time (18/07/2015)
Venue: Suncorp Stadiu, Brisbane

Teams: TBA​

- - - Updated - - -

Bokke have named the squas to travel to Brisbane.

The Springbok squad that will travel to Brisbane is:Forwards: Schalk Brits, Schalk Burger, Marcell Coetzee, Lood de Jager, Bismarck du Plessis, Jannie du Plessis, Eben Etzebeth, Vincent Koch, Francois Louw, Frans Malherbe, Victor Matfield, Teboho "Oupa" Mohoje, Tendai Mtawarira, Trevor Nyakane, Adriaan Strauss, Heinke van der Merwe, Warren Whiteley.
Backs: Damian De Allende, Bryan Habana, Jesse Kriel, Patrick Lambie, Willie le Roux, Lionel Mapoe, Lwazi Mvovo, Rudy Paige, Ruan Pienaar, JP Pietersen, Handré Pollard, Cobus Reinach, Jan Serfontein, Morné Steyn.

A couple of names that have me scratching my head but I doubt they'll feature in the matchday 23 nevermind the RWC team if you take into account the guys that'll be returning in those positions (PSdT, Alberts, Vermeulen, FdP) in any case so it's no big concern unless someone gest injured in training.

Happy Mapoe is traveling along. Maybe bring him in at 14 as JPP is only there for his defense and ability to cover 13 and Mapoe is solid in both those departments and can bring so much extra ATM as he is in form or at least was in superb form prior to his knock.

WTF is Jannie du Plessis still doing starting with Koch and Malherbe available? He proved he is a passenger on the weekend again if he hasn't already.

Last edited:
Well HM said that he is going to try and play as many of the players as he can to give all of them enough opportunity ahead of the World Cup.

The possibility is there that the team to play on Saturday could look totally different from the team that played against the World XV. And I guess we'll only know on Wednesday what is the plan of action for HM.

I'm glad that HM took the decision to leave JDV at home and rather let him play for WP in the Currie Cup warm-up game this coming weekend.

Agreed about JdV. He read the game well (has lways been a strength of his) but he looked damn slow and giving De Allende (at 12) and Kriel extended time together can only be good going forward. Hope they can carry the momentum into a real game against motivated opposition. Jesse's game at 13 just makes we wonder what the Bulls will do with him next year what with Odendaal and Serfontein competing in the midfield an lack of options at 15 for them (and for the Bokke it has to be said). He played well at 15 as well.. just hope he doesn't get messed about like so many other SA players able to play multiple positions well.

I really do hope the majority of the matchday 23 stay somewhat similar though apart from Jannie at 3 and JPP at 14 for me. The team as is has enough new combinations and rookies to worry about and get extended game time in before the RWC. IMO we have enough depth going forward looking at the guys not included due to being crocked. Unless those guys won't be available for us in the RWC.

Agreed about JdV. He read the game well (has lways been a strength of his) but he looked damn slow and giving De Allende (at 12) and Kriel extended time together can only be good going forward. Hope they can carry the momentum into a real game against motivated opposition. Jesse's game at 13 just makes we wonder what the Bulls will do with him next year what with Odendaal and Serfontein competing in the midfield an lack of options at 15 for them (and for the Bokke it has to be said). He played well at 15 as well.. just hope he doesn't get messed about like so many other SA players able to play multiple positions well.

I really do hope the majority of the matchday 23 stay somewhat similar though apart from Jannie at 3 and JPP at 14 for me. The team as is has enough new combinations and rookies to worry about and get extended game time in before the RWC. IMO we have enough depth going forward looking at the guys not included due to being crocked. Unless those guys won't be available for us in the RWC.

To be honest, I think we should focus on our first phase possession, Scrums and Line outs.

If I had to pick a team for Saturday it would look like this:

1. Heinke v/d Merwe
2. Bismarck Du Plessis
3. Frans Malherbe
4. Eben Etzebeth
5. Victor Matfield
6. Francois Louw
7. Marcel Coetzee
8. Warren Whiteley
9. Ruan Pienaar
10. Handre Pollard
11. Bryan Habana
12. Damian De Allende
13. Jesse Kriel
14. Willie Le Roux
15. Pat Lambie

16. Trevor Nyakane
17. Adriaan Strauss
18. Vincent Koch
19. Oupa Mohoje (For Lock)
20. Schalk Burger
21. Cobus Reinach
22. Lionel Mapoe
23. JPP

It would be awesome if that team starts Heineken and I don't think you're too far off. Lambie on 15 with Willie on 14 looks like it can be lethal.

I don't think we'll be that lucky with the frontrow though. I'm guessing we might hopefully see Jannie benched. Beast will start as well I think (I'd prefer Nyakane).

HM might opt to start Schalla as well. Dammit I would love to see your 14 / 15 play though.

It would be awesome if that team starts Heineken and I don't think you're too far off. Lambie on 15 with Willie on 14 looks like it can be lethal.

I don't think we'll be that lucky with the frontrow though. I'm guessing we might hopefully see Jannie benched. Beast will start as well I think (I'd prefer Nyakane).

HM might opt to start Schalla as well. Dammit I would love to see your 14 / 15 play though.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Springboks/Meyer-We-will-make-changes-20150713

This article make me think that there will be wholesale changes. Maybe even a start for Lood De Jager...

Oh wow, that changes things. Now I have no idea! Excited though.

Lets look at the players who could have performed better against the World 15; Pollard, Jannie, JPP, le Roux.
If we see changes I can see them being in one of those 4 positions, one could possibly add Beast but he doesn't have a clear replacement in my view.

Heineken I do like the idea of your team, I desperately want to see Pollard hit some form, as I don't think Lambie is World Class whereas Pollard could be. I'm not so sure about Heineke VdM as I haven't seen him play in ages and can't comment. I do feel the first step in improving our front row is removing Jannie, and moving forward from there.

Whatever happens we will not be fielding our best team against Australia and should be wary! It will be interesting to see the Wallabies team, personally I'd be far more fearful of White/Foley than I am of Genia and Cooper (which is what the media is saying will happen).

I see the latest article says that both Pollard and Willie might be dropped for this game. With Morne Steyn starting at 10 and Lambie starting at 15.

But it's all just speculation at the moment.

I see the latest article says that both Pollard and Willie might be dropped for this game. With Morne Steyn starting at 10 and Lambie starting at 15.

But it's all just speculation at the moment.
I still think starting Morne will be a mistake despite Pollards poor goal kicking, unless he suddenly changes the type of player he is. Morne starting means two things - firstly standing deeper in the pocket and therefore giving our centre pairing a more static start from play, meaning it will be easier to shut them down and secondly no attacking from our own half - and it's been proven again and again that kicking to the top teams back threes is not a recipe for success.

If I had to pick a team for Saturday it would look like this:

1. Heinke v/d Merwe
2. Bismarck Du Plessis
3. Frans Malherbe
4. Eben Etzebeth
5. Victor Matfield
6. Francois Louw
7. Marcel Coetzee
8. Warren Whiteley
9. Ruan Pienaar
10. Handre Pollard
11. Bryan Habana
12. Damian De Allende
13. Jesse Kriel
14. Willie Le Roux
15. Pat Lambie

That'd be my preference considering injuries exactly. I'd have a slightly different bench to what you have but that's besides the point.

Lets look at the players who could have performed better against the World 15; Pollard, Jannie, JPP, le Roux.
If we see changes I can see them being in one of those 4 positions, one could possibly add Beast but he doesn't have a clear replacement in my view.

Heineken I do like the idea of your team, I desperately want to see Pollard hit some form, as I don't think Lambie is World Class whereas Pollard could be. I'm not so sure about Heineke VdM as I haven't seen him play in ages and can't comment. I do feel the first step in improving our front row is removing Jannie, and moving forward from there.

Whatever happens we will not be fielding our best team against Australia and should be wary! It will be interesting to see the Wallabies team, personally I'd be far more fearful of White/Foley than I am of Genia and Cooper (which is what the media is saying will happen).

Heinke van der Merwe has been a sensation in a league with a lot of quality scrums. Morne Steyn has been in better form than he has been for some time at club level. I actually don't have any problem with him being in the squad but I still feel Pollard and Lambie are the way forward. I don't want us to get stuck on the RWC alone; the team under PdV was geared solely for the 2011 RWC and what happened- we played a very tight game throughout and went 'all in' on a number of players and couldn't drop them because we didn't want to make any changes to the team from 2 years out from the RWC and we got screwed by 1 poorly refffed match... 2 yaers defined by 1 match. I don't want that again. Rather keep developing and trying to get as good as you can and if that means doing well at a RWC then that just a cherry on top.

Where was I.. I just side tracked myself.. Oh, yeah.

Jannie du Plessis. WTF! Matfield I can understand as our options are limited (though I'd have goone for Juandre Kruger but he isn't in the squad so..). JPP, Not needed, not if we can move Le Roux there or field one of Mapoe or if Hendricks can sharpen up his defensive frailties (easier than suddenly becoming a relevant attacking threat IMO). On Pollard though I think he had a very good game other than his goal kicking but having Lambie kick as goals solves that and allows Pollard to play his game.

I wish Heineken was the selector for this week.

JPP, Not needed, not if we can move Le Roux there or field one of Mapoe or if Hendricks can sharpen up his defensive frailties (easier than suddenly becoming a relevant attacking threat IMO). On Pollard though I think he had a very good game other than his goal kicking but having Lambie kick as goals solves that and allows Pollard to play his game.
Exactly this, we solve Pollards goal kicking woes and lose only JPP, playing Morne will be a rather serious over correction in my view.

That'd be my preference considering injuries exactly. I'd have a slightly different bench to what you have but that's besides the point.

Heinke van der Merwe has been a sensation in a league with a lot of quality scrums. Morne Steyn has been in better form than he has been for some time at club level. I actually don't have any problem with him being in the squad but I still feel Pollard and Lambie are the way forward. I don't want us to get stuck on the RWC alone; the team under PdV was geared solely for the 2011 RWC and what happened- we played a very tight game throughout and went 'all in' on a number of players and couldn't drop them because we didn't want to make any changes to the team from 2 years out from the RWC and we got screwed by 1 poorly refffed match... 2 yaers defined by 1 match. I don't want that again. Rather keep developing and trying to get as good as you can and if that means doing well at a RWC then that just a cherry on top.

Where was I.. I just side tracked myself.. Oh, yeah.

Jannie du Plessis. WTF! Matfield I can understand as our options are limited (though I'd have goone for Juandre Kruger but he isn't in the squad so..). JPP, Not needed, not if we can move Le Roux there or field one of Mapoe or if Hendricks can sharpen up his defensive frailties (easier than suddenly becoming a relevant attacking threat IMO). On Pollard though I think he had a very good game other than his goal kicking but having Lambie kick as goals solves that and allows Pollard to play his game.

I wish Heineken was the selector for this week.

Lol!

I wish I was a permanent selector! That would be awesome!!

I'm sitting here wondering, if Matfield would start every game in the RC? Which I don't think should happen, as he would be the next in line to be Captain of the team at the World Cup. If JDV doesn't make the cut, and Vic isn't a first choice lock, then we will need to give another player a chance to captain the side. Which could mean Schalla/Flouw might be the captain this weekend if Vic doesn't start.

It's actually the biggest draw-back if Vermeulen doesn't make it; the captaincy; Vic and JdV are probably the most 'qualified' captains but neither should be 1st choice all fit while Schalla and Flouw aren't sure starters either if Alberts were fit and firing and Coetzee continues in his rich form. And it'd be silly to have your VC in the same position as your regular captain..

Whiteley, Bismarck and Strauss are the other options but Strauss and Whiteley aren't 1st choice and we've seen Bismarck is not captaincy material... a difficult one indeed.

If he were fit Vermeulen would be my 1st choice for the captaincy for this match and looking towards the RWC.

Wonder what the Wallabies are up too- they've managad to keep a low profile WRT the SA media at least.

It's actually the biggest draw-back if Vermeulen doesn't make it; the captaincy; Vic and JdV are probably the most 'qualified' captains but neither should be 1st choice all fit while Schalla and Flouw aren't sure starters either if Alberts were fit and firing and Coetzee continues in his rich form. And it'd be silly to have your VC in the same position as your regular captain..

Whiteley, Bismarck and Strauss are the other options but Strauss and Whiteley aren't 1st choice and we've seen Bismarck is not captaincy material... a difficult one indeed.

If he were fit Vermeulen would be my 1st choice for the captaincy for this match and looking towards the RWC.

Wonder what the Wallabies are up too- they've managad to keep a low profile WRT the SA media at least.
I actually think Victors a perfectly fine captain for the Bokke throughout the WC. I will be the first to admit that I bitterly resented his come back, but he's proven me wrong. He doesn't just bring leadership either, as without him our line-outs just don't function as well as they do with him there, no other player brings this to the team therefore he brings something unique. While PsdT and Lood bring something extra they don't bring line-out security, we can get our ball carriers from elsewhere in the pack.
As for whether he should be rested during the RC and pool phases, yeah he probably should. Let him rest when we play the Argies/Japan/US and I think that's sufficient.

Is Francious Steyn injured or just out of the running? I would be tempted to have him at Fullback over lambie..

Is Francious Steyn injured or just out of the running? I would be tempted to have him at Fullback over lambie..

He's injured, but recovering. He and Pieter Steph Du Toit is currently at the Sharks doing rehab. Steyn might be available for the last RC match against Argentina, depending on his fitness.

Interested to see what team we name for this.

Apparently ticket sales have been abysmal, which is unfortunate... Supposedly it's looking like a crowd in the mid 30s, which is less than the Reds were getting a few years back.

I have no idea what the Wallabies team will look like this weekend - have to wait until Cheika announces his team.

Latest posts