• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 TRC] South Africa v New Zealand in Johannesburg (25/07/2015)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
140916065417362597.png

140916065418551640.png
140916065416590853.png
140916065415463267.png

Kick off: 17h05 CAT (SA, GMT+2) (25/07/2015)
Venue: Emirates Airlines Park, Johannesburg

Teams

South Africa: South Africa:

15 Willie le Roux, 14 JP Pietersen, 13 Jesse Kriel, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Handre Pollard, 9 Ruan Pienaar, 8 Schalk Burger, 7 Francois Louw, 6 Heinrich Brussow, 5 Lood de Jager, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Jannie du Plessis, 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Tendai Mtawarira

Substitutes: 16 Adriaan Strauss, 17 Trevor Nyakane, 18 Vincent Koch, 19 Flip van der Merwe, 20 Warren Whiteley, 21 Cobus Reinach, 22 Pat Lambie, 23 Cornal Hendricks

New Zealand: 15 Israel Dagg, 14 Ben Smith, 13 Conrad Smith, 12 Ma'a Nonu, 11 Charles Piutau, 10 Lima Sopoaga, 9 Aaron Smith, 8 Kieran Read, 7 Richie McCaw (captain), 6 Liam Messam, 5 James Broadhurst, 4 Brodie Retallick, 3-Owen Franks, 2-Dane Coles, 1-Tony Woodcock

Substitutes: 16 Codie Taylor, 17 Wyatt Crockett, 18 Ben Franks, 19 Sam Whitelock, 20 Victor Vito, 21 TJ Perenara, 22 Beauden Barrett, 23 Malakai Fekitoa

Last edited:
Thanks for getting the thread up so early @heineken. +1

I am looking forward to this game big time! I'm so excited to see our youg stars playing even with the mistakes they are making. I am only concerned about a few selections considering our sizable injury list in the pack and then general game management in the backs. I'm still holding out hope for.. actually, before going onto a XV, does anyone have injury updates for: Kitshoff, PSdT, JdP and Alberts? I know Vermeulen, Coetzee and possibly Matfield are out. Is JdV still set for a CC game? Hendricks?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for getting the thread up so early @heineken. +1

I am looking forward to this game big time! I'm so excited to see our youg stars playing even with the mistakes they are making. I am only concerned about a few selections considering our sizable injury list in the pack and then general game management in the backs. I'm still holding out hope for.. actually, before going onto a XV, does anyone have injury updates for: Kitshoff, PSdT, JdP and Alberts? I know Vermeulen, Coetzee and possibly Matfield are out. Is JdV still set for a CC game? Hendricks?

I'm extremely excited about this game, probably because I will be at the game!! We are a group of 14 people going to the game! Gonna be awesome! And the tickets was already sold out last week!!

JDV is still set to play this week another warm-up game. He said on Boots & All last thursday that he will play 2 warm-up games before they do a reassessment with him.

On the others there's not much news yet. Probably because they are only landing this morning in SA and will only then do an assessment on the players and their injuries. I guess we'll know at the earliest this afternoon.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm extremely excited about this game, probably because I will be at the game!! We are a group of 14 people going to the game! Gonna be awesome! And the tickets was already sold out last week!!

JDV is still set to play this week another warm-up game. He said on Boots & All last thursday that he will play 2 warm-up games before they do a reassessment with him.

On the others there's not much news yet. Probably because they are only landing this morning in SA and will only then do an assessment on the players and their injuries. I guess we'll know at the earliest this afternoon.

I am jealous. We only seem to get 'World XV' match ups here which I refuse to attend as it feels like we are getting the sloppy 2nds!

JdV out is good for De Allende and Kriel getting more time together. The only sad thing is we opted to stop taking the ball up with them against Aussie. I'd back them along with Pollard and Le Roux to rather keep ball in hand a lot more.

I read Coetzee and Matfield isn't too bad but they'll still probably not play in the RC anymore while Jannie is an option going forward. Vermeulen and Alberts still out along with Fourie du Preez (we need him if only for his accurate kicking game if we are going to persist there). I am assuming Hendricks and Serfontein are out still.

Everything considered I am hoping for:

1 Kitshoff (Mtawarira)
2 Du Plessis
3 Malherbe - I'll back him. Lets give these guys starts
4 Etzebeth
5 De Jager
6 Jaco Kriel - lets admit it was a mistake not to select him to start with and he is the next in line open side IMO
7 Louw
8 Whiteley - Burger did well enough out of position but on the highveld I'll back Whiteley and I like what Burger ofers off the bench.
9 Reinach - I don't think Pienaar's kicking game warrants his selection and he did not complete a single tackle vs Aus! Lets also be honest here we are not oing to outplay NZ in a territorial kicking game with Pollard/Lambie and Le Roux not as experienced or accomplished in this regard as what Z will offer. Lets back our own pace as IMO we have the pack to keep the ball and the backs to work with it. All we lack is the confidence.
10 Pollard
11 Habana - has been class with limited ball
12 De Allende
13 Kriel
14 Le Roux - I want him in the mix ahead of JPP who hasn't been looking for work but he is too shaky for 15 IMO
15 Lambie - because I want all our best players in the run on and this boy has nerves of steel and i feel brings balance to our backline.

16 Burden - Strauss has been off his game all year, we don't need passengers as we have depth here.
17 Mtawarira (Van der Merwe)
23 Koch
18 PSdT (Mostert) - though I would go out of the squad here if PSdT isn't available
19 Burger
20 De Klerk - see my commenst on Reinach
21 Steyn as the default 3rd cover for 10 while we wait for our options at 15 to develop at a lower level.
22 JPP - because he covers center and wing and our other options are injured

Jan Serfontein was part of the 31-man squad that travelled to Australia, and all 31 players got a clean bill of health from the team doctor, so he is ready to play again. Hendricks didn't go to Oz, so I think he's still out injured.

based on what has been said in the media, and on Boots and All last week from JDV, I have an idea that the team for Saturday will look like this:

1. Trevor Nyakane
2. Adriaan Strauss
3. Frans Malherbe
4. Eben Etzebeth
5. Lood De Jager
6. Francois Louw
7. Schalk Burger
8. Warren Whiteley
9. Cobus Reinach
10. Pat Lambie
11. Bryan Habana
12. Damian De Allende
13. Jesse Kriel
14. JP Pietersen
15. Willie Le Roux

16. Schalk Brits/Bismarck Du Plessis
17. Heinke van Der Merwe
18. Vincent Koch/Marcell van der Merwe
19. Teboho Mohoje (unless he calls someone up like Franco Mostert/Flip van der Merwe)
20. Jaco Kriel/Arno Botha
21. Rudy Paige/Ruan Pienaar
22. Handre Pollard/Morne Steyn
23. Jan Serfontein/Lwazi Mvovo

New Zealand drop Dan Carter and Sonny Bill Williams from the squad to face South Africa.

Don't know why Dan Carter is dropped he played really well against Argentina, I can understand dropping Sonny Bill he didn't play that well but Carter deserves to play against the springboks.

Jan Serfontein was part of the 31-man squad that travelled to Australia, and all 31 players got a clean bill of health from the team doctor, so he is ready to play again. Hendricks didn't go to Oz, so I think he's still out injured.

based on what has been said in the media, and on Boots and All last week from JDV, I have an idea that the team for Saturday will look like this:

1. Trevor Nyakane
2. Adriaan Strauss
3. Frans Malherbe
4. Eben Etzebeth
5. Lood De Jager
6. Francois Louw
7. Schalk Burger
8. Warren Whiteley
9. Cobus Reinach
10. Pat Lambie
11. Bryan Habana
12. Damian De Allende
13. Jesse Kriel
14. JP Pietersen
15. Willie Le Roux

16. Schalk Brits/Bismarck Du Plessis
17. Heinke van Der Merwe
18. Vincent Koch/Marcell van der Merwe
19. Teboho Mohoje (unless he calls someone up like Franco Mostert/Flip van der Merwe)
20. Jaco Kriel/Arno Botha
21. Rudy Paige/Ruan Pienaar
22. Handre Pollard/Morne Steyn
23. Jan Serfontein/Lwazi Mvovo

I'd love to have Jan in the mix. If Mohoje is there to cover lock and Jaco Kriel comes in I'll also.. well, I'll be a happy man. Strauss starting and Paige getting capped though.. well, I suppose you can't have it all your way and what do I know in any case. Well, all I can say for sure is we are likely to be in for one hell of a tough game and the bench, assuming we are persisting with the rotation thng will have to add value unlike on the weekend where De Jager was the only player who stepped up off the bench- credit to the Aussies though fortaking their chances with their bench bringing impact.

Also, apart from Carter being rested I think SBW had a fantastic game against Argentina or is it just me?

I'd love to have Jan in the mix. If Mohoje is there to cover lock and Jaco Kriel comes in I'll also.. well, I'll be a happy man. Strauss starting and Paige getting capped though.. well, I suppose you can't have it all your way and what do I know in any case. Well, all I can say for sure is we are likely to be in for one hell of a tough game and the bench, assuming we are persisting with the rotation thng will have to add value unlike on the weekend where De Jager was the only player who stepped up off the bench- credit to the Aussies though fortaking their chances with their bench bringing impact.

Look, this is what I think the team might look like for Saturday.

I have this sneaking suspicion that HM has to keep some politicians happy before selecting the WC squad, and by picking some of the guys now, would make sense.

I also have the sneaking suspicion that some of the injuries are not as serious as what they say they are, and that some guys have been placed on a conditioning schedule to be in top shape by the time the World Cup comes. Our first game at the World Cup is against Japan. So the 2 games vs. Argentina and the opening game in the World Cup will be enough game time to get those guys wrapped in cotton wool some proper match fitness.

Also, apart from Carter being rested I think SBW had a fantastic game against Argentina or is it just me?

I also thought he was brilliant against Argentina, his offloads yet again was something to behold. Him and Nonu's physicality had a massive influence in breaking down the Argentine defenses.

people keep saying that but i didn't think he made a massive impact... i thought Nonu looked good and i'd still go Nonu/Smith than Williams.

I don't think williams is a 12 i would play him at 13.

Look, this is what I think the team might look like for Saturday.

I have this sneaking suspicion that HM has to keep some politicians happy before selecting the WC squad, and by picking some of the guys now, would make sense.

I also have the sneaking suspicion that some of the injuries are not as serious as what they say they are, and that some guys have been placed on a conditioning schedule to be in top shape by the time the World Cup comes. Our first game at the World Cup is against Japan. So the 2 games vs. Argentina and the opening game in the World Cup will be enough game time to get those guys wrapped in cotton wool some proper match fitness.

Well for a surity Mohoje is there as a quota player. Don't get me wrong I don't think he is a poor player but its nothing but ridiculous the way he has been fast-tracked into the Bok squad. Politics! Have your read about schools rugby having to conform to SACOC's requirements? So they see it as progress taking a sucessful 20 schools teams tournament and making it a 9 team tournament for no better reason than it's tidier from the POV of how they see the country politically- not a single rugby reason.
I also thought he was brilliant against Argentina, his offloads yet again was something to behold. Him and Nonu's physicality had a massive influence in breaking down the Argentine defenses.

SBW was immense, he put his hand up to say that he should be the starting 12 IMO.

That's how I remember it as well. It's not just his off loading game having Argentina scrambling but his defense was actually putting the attacking team under pressure.

- - - Updated - - -

people keep saying that but i didn't think he made a massive impact... i thought Nonu looked good and i'd still go Nonu/Smith than Williams.

Well I think he was a stand out player. Nonu has been in sublime form this year and I'd also still keep him and Smith together. It points more towards NZ's embarrasent of riches in the backline than anything else IMO. I wouldn't pick SBW over Conrad Smith either. I just thought he had a good game and was wondering what I'mScotty saw that says otherwise. Hansen will have a hard time picking a wrong backline as long a he doesn't start playing players out of position.

I agree. Not that he is a 13, I don't think he has the pace to make use of the extra space (so obviously you can imagine what I think of him on the wing), or maybe it's that he just doesn't sprint to pressure the outside man to take him. It feels like a lot of his offloads just don't create the space for the outside man. Other than one nice pass over the top of players I'm not sure why people are calling for him to start, it looked to me that he took the wrong options a few times. Not bad game from him, but he didn't seem to create much space for the outside backs, which is primarily what I want my centres to be doing.

Outiside of England v Wales this game/games I always get excited over, sorry Bledisloe, the best 2 sides in the last 5 years going at it. Quality.

Outiside of England v Wales this game/games I always get excited over, sorry Bledisloe, the best 2 sides in the last 5 years going at it. Quality.

Pretty much this (outside of Scotland vs. England).

Two very likeable teams with NZ having a team full of legends close to retiring (will be sad for world rugby) and SA playing exciting youngsters. Should be a cracker for the neutral.

If SA manage a win here it'll make the 3rd and final week (tournament-wise) rather interesting.. lets do it.

The players will be angry especially since there won't be a return game vs Aus unlike last year. I'm counting on that and a bit of luck.

I wonder if Dagg will start this game? Remembering back to that game we robbed SA in, back in 2010 I think it was, his winning try.. Big game for him.

Also Barretts and Fekitoa's chance. Hope Sopoanga gets a bit of game time.

I wonder if Dagg will start this game? Remembering back to that game we robbed SA in, back in 2010 I think it was, his winning try.. Big game for him.

Also Barretts and Fekitoa's chance. Hope Sopoanga gets a bit of game time.

Barrett tends to have good games vs us. Not a step down having left Carter to rest his weary bones.

Flip van der Merwe getting called up in place of Matfield. Good call IMO. He has his faults but the last few games he playedin green I've been really happy with most his efforts. Still think his bro and Juandre Kruger are unlucky not to get calls but at the same time it's good to give the benefit of the doubt to those actually plying their trade in SA. Here's the link http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/RugbyChampionship/Flip-answers-Bok-SOS-20150720

Now I'm just concerned this means we won't have Mohoje cover lock but the loose forwards which means no call up for Jaco Kriel.. which would be a huge pity IMO.

My wishlist for this match;
- no up-and-unders, at least not as an exit strategy
- Jaco Kriel getting a green jersey
- positive and enterprising rugby from us
- for the full game
- JPP and JdP getting the chop
- just plain good decision on both attack and defense

Last edited:
Barrett tends to have good games vs us. Not a step down having left Carter to rest his weary bones.

Flip van der Merwe getting called up in place of Matfield. Good call IMO. He has his faults but the last few games he playedin green I've been really happy with most his efforts. Still think his bro and Juandre Kruger are unlucky not to get calls but at the same time it's good to give the benefit of the doubt to those actually plying their trade in SA. Here's the link http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/RugbyChampionship/Flip-answers-Bok-SOS-20150720

Now I'm just concerned this means we won't have Mohoje cover lock but the loose forwards which means no call up for Jaco Kriel.. which would be a huge pity IMO.

My wishlist for this match;
- no up-and-unders, at least not as an exit strategy
- Jaco Kriel getting a green jersey
- positive and enterprising rugby from us
- for the full game
- JPP and JdP getting the chop
- just plain good decision on both attack and defense

Yeah, but I think Mohoje won't start. I think Whiteley will get game time against the AB's, and maybe Schalla at 7. Especially if Victor isn't playing, we'll need Schalk's leadership in the forwards.

Latest posts