• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2015 TRC] South Africa v New Zealand in Johannesburg (25/07/2015)

Isn't it amazing that SBW can have a terrible Super Rugby season, get lambasted and finally play well against Argentina. Conrad on the other hand, had a great Super Rugby season and has had one poor performance. On top of that, he is a legend. It shows how quickly things can change.

I think SBW's defence has been better simple as that. And I didnt say I wouldnt play him but that was a real shocker...

Isn't it amazing that SBW can have a terrible Super Rugby season, get lambasted and finally play well against Argentina. Conrad on the other hand, had a great Super Rugby season and has had one poor performance. On top of that, he is a legend. It shows how quickly things can change.

Not really, it was a rusty Argentina in NZ, couldn't have a more cottonwool game in the RC than that, even Dagg looked alright in that game. Not sure Conrad will have the legs this year though.. but give him a few more outings, players are allowed a one of bad game once in awhile, especially a player of Conrads stature. Thankfully SBW and Fekitoa are awesome though. I really see the room for Dagg evaporating.. at least I hope so.

The core of todays win

11781731_10153592949487249_124071078807731183_n.jpg

This game might see Slade dropped for Sopoanga, we have enough utility backs and Sopoanga is a genuinely great 1st 5, with strong chemistry and combinations. He has a drop goal and has proven he can perform under pressure. Sladey is quality, but Sopoaga is the better option.

Last edited:
No, but the Bledisloe has a single owner and won't change this year. I've bet for the Wallabies in the last 3 years, I won't make that mistake this year
To be honest I don't know why you've backed us - most Aussies don't expect us to beat the All Blacks lol.

That said, we have shown we're capable of challenging the ABs at home on occasion over the past few years. We scored a draw last year before we got thrashed in Auckland - we have better F&A than the ABs (just) in the RC, so if we managed to draw the Sydney game we'd win the RC.

That said, if Toomua is out again and we start Cooper, then the ABs by 30+.

To be honest I don't know why you've backed us - most Aussies don't expect us to beat the All Blacks lol.

That said, we have shown we're capable of challenging the ABs at home on occasion over the past few years. We scored a draw last year before we got thrashed in Auckland - we have better F&A than the ABs (just) in the RC, so if we managed to draw the Sydney game we'd win the RC.

That said, if Toomua is out again and we start Cooper, then the ABs by 30+.

I think you're going to see our starting 15 in Sydney. Can't wait.

I think you're going to see our starting 15 in Sydney. Can't wait.

The ABs are the high water mark of world rugby, so it'll be an interesting game. I don't think the Wallabies have the all round game to trouble the ABs unless we play out of our skin and Cooper is no where near the team. I reckon we should have Giteau at 10 and Toomua/Lealiifano at 12. If Speight is back and our forwards match up, then we're in with a shot. But FFS Cheika has to end the Cooper experiment now. The guy is a wannabe and B grade Carlos Spencer immitator - scared of tackles and doesn't understand what a game plan is.

- - - Updated - - -

On this game more generally, ABs looked a little off the pact of a lot of the match, and the Boks are going to trouble everyone at the breakdown come the world cup, but their bench and fitness must be a concern for the fans - that's two weeks in a row where they've relinquished a lead in the last 10 minutes to lose a game.

The ABs are the high water mark of world rugby, so it'll be an interesting game. I don't think the Wallabies have the all round game to trouble the ABs unless we play out of our skin and Cooper is no where near the team. I reckon we should have Giteau at 10 and Toomua/Lealiifano at 12. If Speight is back and our forwards match up, then we're in with a shot. But FFS Cheika has to end the Cooper experiment now. The guy is a wannabe and B grade Carlos Spencer immitator - scared of tackles and doesn't understand what a game plan is.

- - - Updated - - -

On this game more generally, ABs looked a little off the pact of a lot of the match, and the Boks are going to trouble everyone at the breakdown come the world cup, but their bench and fitness must be a concern for the fans - that's two weeks in a row where they've relinquished a lead in the last 10 minutes to lose a game.

The problem with Giteau is he has basically publicly stated he isnt up to or want the 10 jersey. He stated that since playing inside Johnny that he didnt feel that he was upto it or something along those lines (which imo is crazy Johnny wasnt THAT good). That surprised me as before he left Australia last time I seriously doubt he'd of said that. Atleast he's honest about his own ability and that but it leaves Australia in a big conundrum I reckon as imo he's actually the best man for job even if he doesnt think so.

On the boks I think end of the day these are practically being treated as build up games they have alot of players out (more than either of our teams). I reckon with only JDV and Dwayne back that will make a huge difference let alone the others their missing. Burger can move back to 6 and then more experience in the backline will make an enormous difference. IMO they are not that far off actually being the team to beat come the WC, the games at the WC wont be as easy to run around like headless chickens like Australia and NZ have done so far in the Rugby challenge.

Last edited:
I'd stick to a Phipps Foley combination at 9 and 10, with Giteau coming in at 2nd 5, he sets the backline nicely, with Kirindrani, Toomua or Lealifano as game options off the bench or starting at 13, it's a good midfield mate. Your outside backs are really good as well and you're sorted in the loose forwards with Poey, Hooper and Higginbotham. Lock is a bit of a concern, Horwills your man though, he will show up in the tough game as well and Fardy is good in the line outs if he doesn't start both Hooper and Poey. It's a decent Aussie team on the surface, an injury here or there though can really hurt their competitiveness though.

Last edited:
The problem with Giteau is he has basically publicly stated he isnt up to or want the 10 jersey. He stated that since playing inside Johnny that he didnt feel that he was upto it or something along those lines (which imo is crazy Johnny wasnt THAT good). That surprised me as before he left Australia last time I seriously doubt he'd of said that. Atleast he's honest about his own ability and that but it leaves Australia in a big conundrum I reckon as imo he's actually the best man for job even if he doesnt think so.

It prob has more to do with not wanting to get put @10 for Toulon. Wilkinson is worshipped there and to get compared to him by them is a poisoned chalice.

Went to the game and well disappointed we lost but fantastic rugby. Well Done All Blacks. :)

But FFS Cheika has to end the Cooper experiment now. The guy is a wannabe and B grade Carlos Spencer immitator - scared of tackles and doesn't understand what a game plan is

We could even take the highroad and say we dont believe in interfering with contracts and make him see out his european club deal and then forget him.

South Africa v New Zealand

What a magnificent try by McCaw to beat the SA team, you will never see a cleverer try in your life.....the All blacks faked a lift at the back of the line out and the hooker threw the ball to McCaw who came roaring through like an express train and score a wonderfully thought out try. this guy has got to be one of the greatest forwards of all time....so great I have seen him on many occasions even outfox the referees especially in the defensive scrums on the NZ line when the attacking scrum half is feeding.he wheels the scrum so that the opposition has to go on the blind side,how he gets away with it only McCaw knows......VERY VERY CLEVER.:cool::cool:

i BELIEVE HE HAS PLAYED 140 GAMES FOR THE ALL BLACKS.

Yeah, he's the greatest player ever. He's done it all. We will miss him a lot, hope we can win this RWC for him to go out on a great note, same with Carter.

Doubt it, Australia mean business this year.

- - - Updated - - -

Why did you not enjoy the rest?

Sorry about the late response. I felt the uncontested scrums threw SA off their game too much and the result was going to be an inevitable All Blacks win after that.
Maybe I am biased because I am a hooker myself and love scrummaging!

Well, in the minds of some of our fickle members.

I doubt anyone near selection would think about dropping Conrad Smith.

The all blacks all ways find a way to win. The press are lauding the springboks for a great performance. It was certainly a great effort. It is important to note they were playing at home .& I don't think there is a harder place to travel to than South Africa . The crowd are an extra 2 men!! It was said that the uncontested scrum was a reason for the all blacks win. In the first half the scrums were contested.The score at half time was 10-10 despite the springboks dominating possession & territory. The springboks coach should note he has only beaten the all blacks once in his tenure.
Despite the win Hansen needs to make some crucial decisions he has been avoiding . Israel dagg is not the best full back in the side. He is not even the 2nd best full back. If Ben smith had played full back the all blacks would have been a more dangerous in their attacks and more assured in defense.Tony woodcock and Owen franks are also not the best props in the team. The breakdown needs to be addressed. It should be a team effort & not left to McCaw and Read. Lima has passed the test & ought to travel to England.Colin slade has had an awful time with injuries which is a shame but he is not good enough to be an all black .
Which is the best centre pairing? This is a truly difficult question? If he has the boldness to ask the question.
Who should play no 6? For me Messam & Kaino are not delivering.
Who should start as no 10?
The locks need to step up their game . Their performance have been mediocre .Broad hurst should be given another chance . The team as a whole are missing to many first time tackles.
On the positive side that is played 3 and won 3.
Congrats to the greatest captain in all sports. His leadership qualities together with the inspirational Kieran read kept the all blacks composed. Charles piatau showed his brilliance and has secured his spot not just on the plane but in the starting 15.

##Rushes down to the TAB##....

- - - Updated - - -

Its going to be bloody interesting to see who Hansen runs out against Australia. Some big names went missing in this match for us.

I dont know weather to drop Conrad or give him another game to sort his **** out. He was bloody woeful you'd have to hope he cant play that bad twice in a row surely. And Woody just looked old. The difference when Crockett came on was crazy. Its concerning game on game imo Conrads getting beat defensively by top sides. Remember England at twicks last year?

I didnt think id be saying this but SBW is looking more and more appealing defensively to me.

I think he should be given another opportunity. The question begs which is the best centre pairing ? Very difficult question indeed .

Because Brown is good and Goode is sh*t at FB. And Kiwis thought they have it bad with Dagg.:roll eyes:

Of the newbies, I thought Sopoaga did well overall. The break for the try and pass to Smith was great. Broadhurst not so impressed with. Tackled well, but carries were ineffective; unless he's given another chance in the next two games v the Wallabies and does outstandingly well then Thrush will likely go as fourth choice. Tuipolutu is going to be a big miss for the ABs come the RWC.

For SA, I thought De Jager was superb, as was De Allande and was also impressed with Kriel. But I also thought SA are missing so many key experienced players: De Villiers, Matfield, Vermeulen, Alberts, Du Preez. I started a thread about 5 vital players no team wants to be without at the RWC and these 5 appear to be ones SA need to be firing on all cylinders to challenge and beat the ABs. Time is running short to get them match fit and confident ahead of the RWC.

The difference in the end was the experience of the key all blacks . McCaw is a phenomenal player and leader. I have purposely used the word leader instead of captain. It will be an immense clash when the two side meet in the semifinals of the World Cup .

Funny reading some of the comments on here about dumping some of the ABs players after that last game.

First thing I will note here is: The ABs actually won! reading some of the comments about players, you would have thought the ABs had lost.

The other thing I will say is this: Ok, a guy like Conrad Smith didn't have his best game. But it is totally unrealistic to think that every player is going to play to 100% of their ability in every game. It's just not possible.
I can clearly remember a few months back when everyone was saying McCaw was past his best. Then what happens at Ellis Park? MOTM performance IMO.

Conrad Smith will be back, he just isn't on form at the moment. He wasn't the only one in the team that wasn't on form on the weekend.
But as the saying goes; Form is temporary, Class is permanent.

You don't win a World Cup by saying your players will be better next year though.

Latest posts