• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2016 Olympic Games, Rio

Which Tyler said:
Up to 60 medals then, with 2 days to go; 5 behind on London's total, but 3 ahead for the day-by-day. No chance of equalling the gold medal tally.

We've got Joyce and Adams to go with guaranteed medals
Farah and Daley as favourites
Heath and the women's four in Kayaking through to their finals today, with good chances
Jamie Cook starts the Pentathalon as favourite; but this doesn't seem to be a sport where the form-book matters - 18th, but just about in touch at the halfway stage (let down by fencing); we do have Choong, who hasn't been mentioned in dispatches sitting in 3rd though.
Walkden and Cho going in the Taekwondo too; with Walkden supposedly a favourite for a medal, and Cho a realistic chance; we're up to QFs now, and again, the form-book can fly south pretty quickly.
3 Contenders Holland in the Triathalon; but not with the expectation levels of the Brownlees
Oh, and Hull's still in with a chance in not-a-sport

Obviously, we have contenders in other events; but none I can see being talked about as medal expectations (eg 800m)
63, 1 more guarantee and 2 more favourites to go - we should do this.

Both today's Taekwondoers successfully through to their SFs - Taekwondo does have bronze play-offs though, so no guarantees yet.

Jamie Cooke has made a little ground up with the steal-a-horse element of the Pentathalon, but he could really do with one of the leaders having a frank bad round. Ireland's Arthur Lanigan-O'Keefe (you'd never know he was Irish) did even better, and leapfrogged Cooke - didn't know leapfrog was an olympic sport though.
Chung goes well, with just a 7 point penalty. And the Russian has a poor round, losing up to 20 points on the chasing pack; still leading by 10 points at the 3/4 mark though (yes, three-quarters; the Pentathalon has 4 rounds... go figure).

Question - Taekwondo is principally the art of kicking people in the head - how come Glasgow isn't leading the world in this?

Try and beat Bolt's reaction time to the gun of 0.155 seconds.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...u-beat-usain-bolt-out-of-the-blocks.html?_r=0

My first try I got 0.177 and then my second one was 0.154:).

First try 0.154, then got 0.128 seconds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

c6xlx

http://imgur.com/a/c6xlx

Edit just got 0.124!!
Leaving it at that.

Last edited:
The Taekwondo is infuriating - I don't understand how the punches aren't scoring?

Last edited:
so is .1 the goal cause my .081 was disqualified for same reasons, i'm more proud of my -.002 though

so is .1 the goal cause my .081 was disqualified for same reasons, i'm more proud of my -.002 though

Yeh anything below .1 and it is viewed by the officials as jumping the gun, and even though it could be believe to be true by the athlete it isn't and a lot of data backs it up.

Although granted that is for full body action.

But in reality people will very very very very rarely get a reaction time that is below .120 in a race.

It's why this test is fairly pointless (whilst fun)

Last edited:
Don't understand boxing enough but the first round decision looked like nonsense to my untrained eye.

Don't understand boxing enough but the first round decision looked like nonsense to my untrained eye.

a lot of boxing decisions haven't made sense this olympics

does anyone know when they switched from total number of punches landed to the 10 point must system

Because the computer system was ridiculous with all judges having to press a button within about half a second of each other to register a point. The new system would work if AIBA weren't corrupt to the core.

I'm no boxing expert but I do not see how the Frenchy could possible have won that... Utter disgrace (AGAIN) from Rio boxing.

I'm no boxing expert but I do not see how the Frenchy could possible have won that... Utter disgrace (AGAIN) from Rio boxing.

To be fair I felt Yoka was much more accurate in both attack and defense. Joyce was much busier and also the stronger of the two by far, but for his massive volume of punches - he only really ever landed occasional shots to the body and he was often countered.

Yoka certainly has more upside as a pro I think. I'm interested in how Joyce does as a pro. Has a massive work rate for a big man, but a pretty underwhelming jab. He's 30 which means if he is wanting a run in the pros he's got to improve very quickly while also taking difficult fights.

Lol at people wanting the team GB shoes, I mean they look nice in this situation but when would you ever really wear them?

Doubt they will go on sale anyway.

Well done to Caster Semenya winning the gold in the 800m women's final.

that brought South Africa a total of 10 medals at the Olympics. Our highest tally since readmission.

If my abiding memory from London 2012 was David Rudisha's winning the 800m in 1 minute 40.91 secs, then the performance of this Olympics for me was Wayde Van Niekerk's 43.03 secs in the 400m from lane 8.

If my abiding memory from London 2012 was David Rudisha's winning the 800m in 1 minute 40.91 secs, then the performance of this Olympics for me was Wayde Van Niekerk's 43.03 secs in the 400m from lane 8.

For me the 2012 event was when Le Clos beat Phelps... But yeah, agree on Van Niekerk's performance for this year's Olympics.

Latest posts