• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2016 RBS Six Nations Predictions

From a Welsh point of view I hope we can keep our momentum going. We had a very impressive game against Ireland prior to RWC and carried it through despite an injury list that would have hampered even the ABs. Warburtons brain fart in not kicking points when the Oz were down to 13 cost us dear and aside from that we went toe to toe with England AUS and SA with half a squad. I was very impressed but I hope Gatland learnt from RWC and gives the backs more licence in the 6N. I don't want us throwing the ball with abandon, rather having confidence in moving the ball quickly when it's on.
Our pack will be all but first choice, with a great back row, Warburton or not.
Our backs are arguably going to be as good as we can get if Liam makes the cut - he is a better full back than Halfpenny. We will probably replace Cuthburt with the brutish and in form James, Davies for Webb is either or.
Settled, motivated, in form and confident in the whole squad that was laughed at prior to the England game. Wales finally have decent players to cover all positions with only the front row an issue but Jenkins, Baldwin and Lee can hold their own.
I've never been confident going into a 6N but I am now.
It might blow up in my face, that's how things can go, but Wales are THE in form Northern Hemisphere side. Ireland will struggle without POC at first. England will be a danger but Wales know only too well that they have the ability to do it again.
Full strength Wales? We look well capable this year.

From a Welsh point of view I hope we can keep our momentum going. We had a very impressive game against Ireland prior to RWC and carried it through despite an injury list that would have hampered even the ABs. Warburtons brain fart in not kicking points when the Oz were down to 13 cost us dear and aside from that we went toe to toe with England AUS and SA with half a squad. I was very impressed but I hope Gatland learnt from RWC and gives the backs more licence in the 6N. I don't want us throwing the ball with abandon, rather having confidence in moving the ball quickly when it's on.
Our pack will be all but first choice, with a great back row, Warburton or not.
Our backs are arguably going to be as good as we can get if Liam makes the cut - he is a better full back than Halfpenny. We will probably replace Cuthburt with the brutish and in form James, Davies for Webb is either or.
Settled, motivated, in form and confident in the whole squad that was laughed at prior to the England game. Wales finally have decent players to cover all positions with only the front row an issue but Jenkins, Baldwin and Lee can hold their own.
I've never been confident going into a 6N but I am now.
It might blow up in my face, that's how things can go, but Wales are THE in form Northern Hemisphere side. Ireland will struggle without POC at first. England will be a danger but Wales know only too well that they have the ability to do it again.
Full strength Wales? We look well capable this year.

scot williams was a real asset for us in the WC, its a shame he wont play a part in the 6N but i am even more confident in our attacking ability with Jon Davies back in action, he can be creative like williams but is also a big lad to take down. i really hope liam williams comes through the scarlets game on the weekend, if he does we will have a much needed boost although anscombe has really impressed with his passing lately

Neil Jenkins has said the Welsh management aren't happy with the amount of game time Rhys Priestland has had with Bath and that he is a risk. I'm fast losing patience with their faith in him. I wish he had stuck to his 18 month sabbatical plan, it would have done him far more good than the Six Nations is going to for him. With Ford on international duty he would have been given a chance to prove his worth again at club level and work his way back up to international standards. It just frustrates me that players like Sam Davies, who has arguably played better and more consistently than Dan Biggar over the last couple of months, are constantly being overlooked because Priestland might do something special at some point when he feels like it. Same goes for Cuthbert.

From a Welsh point of view I hope we can keep our momentum going. We had a very impressive game against Ireland prior to RWC and carried it through despite an injury list that would have hampered even the ABs. Warburtons brain fart in not kicking points when the Oz were down to 13 cost us dear

I disagree, against a side with 13 players you SHOULD get a try. Taking the points 2 meters out against 13 men would actually have been the stupid choice. The brainfart was the forwards never letting the ball leave their grubby mits while they made terrible attempts to batter their way over, completely nullifying their 2 man advantage. Warburton really can't be blamed for Wales inability to score a try against 13 Aussies.

I disagree, against a side with 13 players you SHOULD get a try. Taking the points 2 meters out against 13 men would actually have been the stupid choice. The brainfart was the forwards never letting the ball leave their grubby mits while they made terrible attempts to batter their way over, completely nullifying their 2 man advantage. Warburton really can't be blamed for Wales inability to score a try against 13 Aussies.

I've made my feeling know about this in the past, and I 100% agree. If you can't back yourself to score a try (or two) against 13 men, you never will.

Hopefully than whole episode will have a silver lining, by making Gats, and the whole Welsh squad realise that our attacking game must improve. Warburton has already singled it out as the most disappointing part of the WC campaign, and Howley has been saying the right things in press conferences about the need to adapt our tactics, the rugby landscape changing, blah, blah, blah. Hopefully we see it implemented in the 6 nations and beyond.

It's the one facet of our game which is lacking (faltering scrum aside, which will hopefully improve again with a fit Lee). Improve our attacking game, and we can finally take that next step forward that we've beeb threatening to do for years.

I see your point BUT.....

Had Wales taken 3 points they would then have received the ball back from the restart and had 3/4 of them pitch to play in and really stretched the Aussies. As it was we ploughed with little guile and although they were 2 men down the Aussies had the task made easier by white line fever and a lack of clear thinking.

It's easier for 13 men to defend the whitewash than it is the whole field.

We blew it because we got the fever.....in my humble opinion.

I see your point BUT.....

Had Wales taken 3 points they would then have received the ball back from the restart and had 3/4 of them pitch to play in and really stretched the Aussies. As it was we ploughed with little guile and although they were 2 men down the Aussies had the task made easier by white line fever and a lack of clear thinking.

It's easier for 13 men to defend the whitewash than it is the whole field.

We blew it because we got the fever.....in my humble opinion.

If Wales couldn't score from 2 metres out what makes you think they could score from 80 metres + ? I think that it was Gareth Davies' inexperience that cost them there . Mike Phillips would have ripped the ball from the forwards and moved it out . Although he wouldn't have scored any of the tries that Davies scored to be fair

If Wales couldn't score from 2 metres out what makes you think they could score from 80 metres + ? I think that it was Gareth Davies' inexperience that cost them there . Mike Phillips would have ripped the ball from the forwards and moved it out . Although he wouldn't have scored any of the tries that Davies scored to be fair

he did go for the line himself way too much, yes he scored a few tries from around the park but there were many failed attempts close to the line where as webb would have just zipped it out as he would have known biggar would be screaming at him to give it. Davies showed his inexperience internationally on some occasions, im sure howley and Gats will have had a word with him regarding that but he is still a very good scrum half, i just feel he does try to glory hunt a bit. you could argue that with webb but he seems to go for it himself when it is definitely on and probably 90% of the time actually gets a try or creates the opportunity for one. im sure Davies will be much better in the 6 nations

My prediction is as follows:

1 England (10)
2 Wales (6)
3 Ireland (6)
4 Scotland (4)
5 France (4)
6 Italy (0)

I think Eddie Jones will have an instant impact as England coach, I think the CC match at Murrayfield will be a close match but fancy England to win by 5-7 points.

Scotland to beat France at home, Italy away.

France to beat Italy and Ireland at home and lose all the rest.

England have tied with the winner on points in the last two 6 nations, for those predicting them not to challenge I think you'll be surprised. Of course the World CUp was disappointing, but we got beaten by a better side in Australia and outplayed on the day by Wales. With a better head coach and better team selection there is no reason why this side won't be at the level of last year's 6 nations, especially with recent club form when compared to how the Welsh/Irish clubs and players are performing. I'm not at all convinced England will win it, and like the last few years it will likely be a 3 horse race, although as someone living in France there is a fair bit of hype about how Noves can get his guys playing.

England have tied with the winner on points in the last two 6 nations, for those predicting them not to challenge I think you'll be surprised. Of course the World CUp was disappointing, but we got beaten by a better side in Australia and outplayed on the day by Wales. With a better head coach and better team selection there is no reason why this side won't be at the level of last year's 6 nations, especially with recent club form when compared to how the Welsh/Irish clubs and players are performing. I'm not at all convinced England will win it, and like the last few years it will likely be a 3 horse race, although as someone living in France there is a fair bit of hype about how Noves can get his guys playing.

Are many people completely writing England off though? I mean they're a bit of an unknown quantity with Jones (much like France with Noves), so you can't really write them off or declare them as favorites (which oddly, they are at the bookies...)

Wales winning the grand slam in 2008 shows that a new coach make a huge difference after a pool stage exit. Would argue that post 2015 RWC England are miles ahead of post 2007 RWC Wales anyway!

Defending 5m out is different to 80m. The last ditch mentality is harder to maintain further up the field, so the right option for wales would've been take the points then try and take advantage of the extra space out wide, no matter how far-out they were.

Thats irrevelant. If that mattered Wales would not have won the 6 nations for a long time.

From an Ireland point of view, the provinces might be going bad but some players are in great form, like McCloskey, Jackson etc.

It might blow up in my face, that's how things can go, but Wales are THE in form Northern Hemisphere side.

In fairness you've little evidence for that.

Ireland are defending 6N's champions, had a brilliant performance in the WC and are an established tough nut to crack.

France and England are starting from scratch and will be looking to impress their new coaches. Also, the form of the English and French clubs might carry over to the national set ups.

Arguably the Scots showed as much form as anyone in the WC and were robbed in not making the semis.

Given the injuries Wales had an admirable WC but i see nothing spectacular in their form. A kick of the ball beat England and as expected they failed against the SH sides. How that qualifies them as the in form side i'm not sure.

yes but it's just hype. Media hype. The players from the first group are dropping like flies and there's another round of T14 coming. Noves is in for a nightmare.

Last edited:
In fairness you've little evidence for that.

Ireland are defending 6N's champions, had a brilliant performance in the WC and are an established tough nut to crack.

France and England are starting from scratch and will be looking to impress their new coaches. Also, the form of the English and French clubs might carry over to the national set ups.

Arguably the Scots showed as much form as anyone in the WC and were robbed in not making the semis.

Given the injuries Wales had an admirable WC but i see nothing spectacular in their form. A kick of the ball beat England and as expected they failed against the SH sides. How that qualifies them as the in form side i'm not sure.

They looked anything but brilliant in what was a reasonably easy group to get out of and got crushed by the Argies. It will take them a while to get past losing POC and there is no strength in depth.

They looked anything but brilliant in what was a reasonably easy group to get out of and got crushed by the Argies. It will take them a while to get past losing POC and there is no strength in depth.

Why will it take us a while to get past losing PO'C? He was undoubtedly a talisman and a great player but why will it take us a while to get past the loss of a secondrow? Sure it'd be easier if we had Henderson fit but I don't see his play or leadership being such a big loss that we take a while to get over it.

A lack of strength in depth is also a very vague term to apply. Sure in some positions if players get injured we'll suffer but it'd take a proper crisis for it to end up like the Argentina game. We're already missing four guys who would definitely been first choice at the WC but if anything in two of those positions we'll be stronger.

To be fair I think it's the leadership they'll lose, rather than the talent (though he was a supreme talent).
Whilst Ireland have a number of leaders throughout the squad the likes of BOD and POC caused everyone around them to play better than without.

I think you underestimate POC's leadership and overestimate the guys left.

Latest posts