• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 RBS Six Nations] Round 3: Wales vs. France (26/02/2016)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
6Nations.jpg

Wales.png
Versus%20Challenge.png
France.png

Venue: Principality Stadium
Time: 20:05 GMT

I haven't been this nervous in a long time. My heart says France, but my head says Wales.

If you take the heart situation out of it, you would probably be looking at a Welsh victory on paper. The new French team is young enthusiastic and have certain ambitions, so if they rattle Wales early on they could cause an upset as it would be an upset as Wales are massive favourites for this game. There is little experience in the French team at International level but the youngsters and their vibrant ambitions just might get them over the line. I am not confident that France will win but stranger things have happened and i have great respect for Guy Noves who willl do everything in his capability to give this bunch of newbies everything necessary to try and win this game, although it will not be easy.

A Friday night at the Millenium Stadium with the roof closed will be a new experience for the younger French players.
The atmosphere will be highly charged, which of course may be in favour of les bleus!
However, as gaston rightly says, the Welsh must be firm favourites.
Allez les bleus - on ne sait jamais!!

Normally both teams must agree to close the roof or it stays open, unless they have changed the rules but i do think i saw it in the press somewhere.

Normally both teams must agree to close the roof or it stays open, unless they have changed the rules but i do think i saw it in the press somewhere.

Yes, you're right. The weather forecast for Friday night's game is fine with so the roof may well stay open.

Team announcement for Wales:

Wales: Liam Williams; Alex Cuthbert, Jonathan Davies, Jamie Roberts, George North; Dan Biggar, Gareth Davies; Rob Evans, Scott Baldwin, Samson Lee; Bradley Davies, Alun Wyn Jones; Dan Lydiate, Sam Warburton, Taulupe Faletau.

Reps: Ken Owens, Gethin Jenkins, Tom Francis, Jake Ball, Justin Tipuric, Lloyd Williams, Rhys Priestland, Gareth Anscombe.

I expect to see more than one Welshman frothing at the mouth over Cuthbert's return...

Glad to see Jonathan Davies has managed to stay fit though, that makes a big difference to us IMO. Glad to see Lydiate/Warburton/Faletau back together as well. Tips has done a good job but he's such a good option off the bench.

As expected Noves got rightly screwed over the weekend. Injury list still mounting with 2 more players out + Machenaud doubtful + captain Guirado on duty 5 days before a test game. This is what I said since his appointment. No way will the clubs do Noves any favour.

His options are reduced with every weekend. A lot of his picks are enforced. This is not 'selecting'. It's tinkering.

Don't get why Gatland likes to berate the T14. He should be thankful. The T14 is working for him.

I think Wales will suffocate Fra with their bigger pack and defensive shape. They're one of the most organised team I've seen with experienced game breakers. They'll take the points on offer and run tries.

It is Wales for me....but you never know!!

Guirado was forced to play as long as he did due to number of 2's injured at Toulon.

There's nothing I would like more than for us to go to Cardiff and get a win... but FrenchFan is right, our players are either over played, injured or inexperienced. If we win it will be one for the record books! Here's to hoping!

I expect to see more than one Welshman frothing at the mouth over Cuthbert's return...

Glad to see Jonathan Davies has managed to stay fit though, that makes a big difference to us IMO. Glad to see Lydiate/Warburton/Faletau back together as well. Tips has done a good job but he's such a good option off the bench.

I'm pleased for Cuthbert. He has his faults but he still took too much stick last year. He has good memories of playing against France (2012) and a try should do his confidence wonders. Agree on the back row - all 3 should be raring to go and Tips is brilliant as a later option.

As expected Noves got rightly screwed over the weekend. Injury list still mounting with 2 more players out + Machenaud doubtful + captain Guirado on duty 5 days before a test game. This is what I said since his appointment. No way will the clubs do Noves any favour.

His options are reduced with every weekend. A lot of his picks are enforced. This is not 'selecting'. It's tinkering.

Don't get why Gatland likes to berate the T14. He should be thankful. The T14 is working for him.

I think Wales will suffocate Fra with their bigger pack and defensive shape. They're one of the most organised team I've seen with experienced game breakers. They'll take the points on offer and run tries.

I wonder why the Six Nations don't employ breaks like in the Rugby Championship. Give the players a week off. I find it really weird that players return to clubs to play. And now it's shows. More injuries.
There are 15 matches played in the tournament. Have a one week break between matches roundabout halfway through the tournament.

I'm pleased for Cuthbert. He has his faults but he still took too much stick last year. He has good memories of playing against France (2012) and a try should do his confidence wonders. Agree on the back row - all 3 should be raring to go and Tips is brilliant as a later option.

Agreed. When he was on form we had the most dangerous back 3 in the NH, IMO. Hope to see him get back to his best and this is a good chance to show he's worked on his faults. To be fair as well Wales haven't been very good at giving their wingers chances like they used to. Hope to see the balance between power and playing in the wider channels come together a bit on Friday!

Cuthbert needs one good carry, just one, and he should get his head right. He is an absolutely devastating finisher and has scored more tries than North over the past few years - yes he has had a bad time but i back him to come out of this looking like the try scorer of old.

Cuthbert needs one good carry, just one, and he should get his head right. He is an absolutely devastating finisher and has scored more tries than North over the past few years - yes he has had a bad time but i back him to come out of this looking like the try scorer of old.

To be fair to the guy he had a decent break on the weekend vs Leinster from deep in his own half. Looked a little bit like what he did in the past.

However on the flipside, he was also at fault for Leinster's match securing try - he wandered away from his wing to be a pillar on the other side of the ruck, leaving his wing open for the Leinster 8 to break down.

Tom James can feel hard done by though. He's not exactly showed his clinical Blues form at the international stage, but he's done the basics very well (including a try saving tackle vs Ireland) and not been shown up at all. Cuthbert however hasn't shown anywhere near enough (for club or country) to prove he should be starting ahead of James, Amos or even a number of other players not even in the squad.

I had a gut feeling that Cuthbert was coming back in.. Yes his tackling isn't great but if he can find his try scoring form he'll be a great asset.

I don't see why we are selecting both Preistland and Anscombe on the bench.

I had a gut feeling that Cuthbert was coming back in.. Yes his tackling isn't great but if he can find his try scoring form he'll be a great asset.

I don't see why we are selecting both Preistland and Anscombe on the bench.

Not sure on the whole Priestland - Anscombe selection either.

Seems strange that the WRU have insisted that Anscombe play 10 for the Blues, despite the fact that (at the moment anyway) he's gonna be on the bench to cover 15 with Priestland covering 10. Surely it would have made sense for the Gatland / WRU to get the Blues to play him at 15 against the Leinster this weekend, if they're gonna insist to slot a potentially unfit Priestland into the 23.

I'd like to see Anscombe get a shot at 10 at some point, especially as a different option to Biggar off the bench in a game like this one.

Hearing rumors Owen Watkins might be called up as center cover now that Cory Allen is out for the season. They need another center (especially since Tyler Morgan hasn't played for months) and Watkins will benefit from training with the senior squad. Ben John is back playing, so wouldn't mind seeing him called up as well, big fan of him.

That Wales back row is going to teach our guys a lesson, with Picamoles out and if Novès picks Chouly again, then we'll be severely lacking firepower and rucking ability to counter Wales.
Danty / Roberts is going to be the key clash of the game, whoever runs over the other one will set its team on the front foot.

The safest prediction to make about this game is that's going to be brutal, but I don't like our chances.

Latest posts