• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 RBS Six Nations] Round 4: England vs. Wales (12/03/2016)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
6Nations.jpg

England.png
Versus%20Challenge.png
Wales.png

Venue: Twickenham Stadium
Time: 17:00 GMT

Right guys let's try to keep this one civil (I know I know wishful thinking).

Think England will win this one, it's at home and the teams aren't radically different to the last two 6 nations encounters. The world cup game still feel like a game which Lancaster and the team completely bottled.

Real test for EJ now can he succeed where Lancaster repeatedly failed and win a crunch match?

- - - Updated - - -

Should state if he does fail he gets a free pass this year. Winning the 6 nations first time out is one he'll of an ask.

The world cup game still feel like a game which Lancaster and the team completely bottled.

Real test for EJ now can he succeed where Lancaster repeatedly failed and win a crunch match?

Win the crunch match... then lose against France. <_<

EJ shirley can't have his cake, this being England something will go wrong.

Either way, Joubert is in charge, can't say his wronged England too much on the penalty count previously but still, does anyone know where you can bet on 'Most Penalties conceded'? There's no way England will lose - in a crunch match - on that front and might as well make some money, even if the odds are gash. [h=1][/h]

let the patriotic banter begin! haha. for once my head says england, but of course my heart says wales. if we can dominate the breakdown then it should limit the English backs, who have been playing well to be fair. pretty sure england have given away quite a few penalties against other teams too, id back us to take those points. not sure if we are any more disciplined though, will have to have a look for some stats

UPDATE - just briefly looking at the stats on six nations website, every england game so far they have conceded more than 10 penalties, where as wales were all under 10, apart from the french game.

Last edited:
UPDATE - just briefly looking at the stats on six nations website, every england game so far they have conceded more than 10 penalties, where as wales were all under 10, apart from the french game.

It'll of been more then 10 penalties per game for donkeys. cos muh discipline. Nowhere to bet on it though.

The way this is likely to pan out means that bench strength may be crucial. I'd guess we'll have Mako, George, Brookes, Itoje (or Launch), Clifford, Care, Manu & Goode. Personally I'd have Daly over Goode, but either way there's some pretty serious firepower in that lot.

It'll of been more then 10 penalties per game for donkeys. cos muh discipline. Nowhere to bet on it though.

yea by no means a cert win if the other team concedes more pens, it depends whether they make the right decision taking those pens. sorry i couldn't resist haha

To follow up on a few themes running on here already.

The Welsh bench isn't bad but I agree our bench could be the difference again and it will be as stronger as I've seen it in recent memory with the return of Brookes & Tuilagi.

Our discipline clearly has to be better but as long as we give them away in the right areas of the pitch & at the right time we should be fine. Seem to remember we were giving them away like candy at the end of the Irish match as we were two scores clear and more happy to infringe.

Re: Goode - he had another excellent game v Northampton & I know it's controversial, on this forum particularly, but I'd start him at fullback. I genuinely think if he gets a run of games he can really add a lot to our attacking game. I feel he reads the game, runs intelligent lines & brings in players very well. Brown has played ok but certainly dropped off his outstanding form up of the last few years.

Furthermore when Manu inevitably comes back into the side at 12 we could really use Goode's particular skill set.

I think it will be close. Billy Vunipola will be targeted to limit England's go forward ball, the form he's on though I don't expect he'll be completely shut out of the game.

England showing more attacking endeavour and a stronger bench will see us over the line hopefully, just.....

yea by no means a cert win if the other team concedes more pens, it depends whether they make the right decision taking those pens. sorry i couldn't resist haha

We have a 'new' captain now, neeuurh (said with tongue stuck out).

unchanged starting 15 for us, few changes on the bench

Wales team to face England: Liam Williams; Alex Cuthbert, Jonathan Davies, Jamie Roberts, George North; Dan Biggar, Gareth Davies; Rob Evans, Scott Baldwin, Samson Lee, Bradley Davies, Alun Wyn Jones, Dan Lydiate, Sam Warburton (capt), Taulupe Faletau.

Replacements: Ken Owens, Paul James, Tomas Francis, Luke Charteris, Justin Tipuric, Rhys Webb, Rhys Priestland, Gareth Anscombe.

Great to see Webb and Charteris back in action, that's a huge boost for our bench for sure. The rest is solid but a shame that Gethin isn't fit. Tom Francis is potentially a weak link too, hasn't looked very sharp so far in the tournament IMO but glad he's getting the game time to improve.

Overall...my gut says England will win, but I always have hope! Think Webb and Charteris could make a huge different later in the second half, Tipuric and Owens too, potentially. Lloyd Williams is a decent scrum half but Webb just has that bit extra in him to spark a game to life, whereas Williams is good at keeping the momentum going.

Great to see Webb and Charteris back in action, that's a huge boost for our bench for sure. The rest is solid but a shame that Gethin isn't fit. Tom Francis is potentially a weak link too, hasn't looked very sharp so far in the tournament IMO but glad he's getting the game time to improve.

Overall...my gut says England will win, but I always have hope! Think Webb and Charteris could make a huge different later in the second half, Tipuric and Owens too, potentially. Lloyd Williams is a decent scrum half but Webb just has that bit extra in him to spark a game to life, whereas Williams is good at keeping the momentum going.

i do think bringing web on late in the game is a game-changer, if he can snipe and wreck havoc with defences from the beginning of a game, imagine how much of an impact he will have coming on after the opponents have played for 60 mins.

That's a very competitive Welsh 23. Bench looks better too.

I still don't see how Cuthbert gets anywhere near your squad let alone starting but there we go. Tom James is a much better all round winger for me.

I understand Davies keeps his place to bulk up the pack to counter England's scrum but I'm very happy that Charteris isn't starting. He is excellent at stealing/disrupting lineout & making himself a large nuisance when we will be trying to setup the maul.

That's a very competitive Welsh 23. Bench looks better too.

I still don't see how Cuthbert gets anywhere near your squad let alone starting but there we go. Tom James is a much better all round winger for me.

I understand Davies keeps his place to bulk up the pack to counter England's scrum but I'm very happy that Charteris isn't starting. He is excellent at stealing/disrupting lineout & making himself a large nuisance when we will be trying to setup the maul.

Yeah that's the difference that makes me feel a bit more optimistic, we're definitely in a better place than we were in the RWC but of course, England appear to be as well. Agreed on Charteris too, Davies has done well enough but Charteris has transformed our maul defense single-handed.

None of our wingers apart from North seem to be doing that well right now...a couple youngsters coming up that I'd hope to see next year though. Cuthbert has done OK for the Blues and was OK against France as well - I'd have had James in as well, but hey.

As others have said, discipline will be key. Only reason we were in touching distance against England in the WC was because they gave away enough kickable penalties. You give a team like Wales that sort of platform, even when you are seemingly in control of the match, you risk having one moment of brilliance snatching the victory away from you.

I'd much prefer Charteris to be starting due to his outstanding lineout and maul defence skills. However, we looked weakest at the maul later on in the game vs France, so could work in our advantage to bring someone like Charteris on later in the game to make sure the defence stays steady there.

Feeling quite confident about our bench. Owens and Tipuric can be huge impact players off the bench, and can see Webb and Charteris really boosting us late on. Pity that Jenkins was ruled out though, we'll miss his work in the loose. Silver lining is that our late game scrum might be a little bit steadier with James than it has with Jenkins.

Whilst England's discipline has been poor I'd be interested to see a pitch match of where they were conceeded in the Ireland match and when.

Sexton kicked only 1 penalty (which he made) out the 12 we conceeded. Which suggests we've been 'intelligent' about it it happy to conceed in the oppositions half but a lot more focused in our own.

A factor is Wales drew with Ireland whilst we comfortably beat them. I know Wales usually start off badly but it does suggest England are in a better posistion.

Honestly I don't think discipline will decide this one but the simple fact will England contain Wales like they did in Cardiff in 12 months ago. Wales have a simple gameplan and have proven time and again they really don't have answer for when it gets shut out there is no Plan B. Other teams you see trying things when Pan A doesn't work even if it likely leads to them still loosing.

On the whole bench front I really wouldn't be banking on England tired legs, Cole a prop has played all but 10 minuites so far. This team is fit and has a forward packed bench, our one try conceed is testimate to that.

I really think with home advantage it's England's to loose we'll have bottle it like the world cup not to come out on top.

Latest posts