• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 RBS Six Nations] Round 4: England vs. Wales (12/03/2016)

Yeh nothing id disagree with here other than on your previous post you said North was the stand out attacking player . Id say that's Watson but it's fairly even . Both have had excellent 6Ns

I think calling North's 6 Nations "excellent" is very, very flattering to the guy.

I think calling North's 6 Nations "excellent" is very, very flattering to the guy.

Really? He's been great, clearly getting back to his best! Was excellent against Scotland (including scoring arguably one of the tries of the tournament), was as good as any winger could be when the ball doesn't come your way vs France (scored a poachers try there too) and was the only Welsh player to give the English defence real trouble in that first 60 mins horror show, plus nabbed a try during the comeback.

Wouldn't say he's being flattered at all!

Really? He's been great, clearly getting back to his best! Was excellent against Scotland (including scoring arguably one of the tries of the tournament), was as good as any winger could be when the ball doesn't come your way vs France (scored a poachers try there too) and was the only Welsh player to give the English defence real trouble in that first 60 mins horror show, plus nabbed a try during the comeback.

It was a great try, he couldn't have done much better, but the Scottish defence was abhorrent.

Followed by a wonderful dummy kick, I have to admit that was pure genius which led to his try there.

It's not his fault that he hasn't had the chance to do well, it's the Welsh style of play that is denying him a chance to get his hands on the ball, he's done well but in my opinion has been nowhere near excellent. I've been more impressed by both of the English wingers personally.

Ajax rather unsurprisingly banned for 8 weeks. Think he got off quite lightly considering Ashton. Still utterly perplexed to how he was allowed to stay on the field.

Referee and TMO were weak in their decision - it was at least a yellow card and he deserves the ban. I thought he would get at least 10+ weeks.

It was a great try, he couldn't have done much better, but the Scottish defence was abhorrent.

Followed by a wonderful dummy kick, I have to admit that was pure genius which led to his try there.

It's not his fault that he hasn't had the chance to do well, it's the Welsh style of play that is denying him a chance to get his hands on the ball, he's done well but in my opinion has been nowhere near excellent. I've been more impressed by both of the English wingers personally.

So because the Scots were poor in defending his run, that counts against him? Biggar / Baldwin were poor in defending Itoje's break for Watson's try, does that take anything away from it being an excellent assist and finish?

:rolleyes: Didn't say it was genius, said it was a good poachers try. Chased hard onto Davies' kick, and was in the right place and right time to get over the line. What more do you want from your winger?

He's joint top scorer with J Joseph, made more meters than any other player (325), joint top clean breaks with Campagnaro (7) and has beaten the most defenders (21).

Stats definitely point towards him having been excellent so far! He's achieved all this despite the Welsh gameplan limiting the ball actually getting into his hands, as you so rightly pointed out. I'd say that definitely counts in his favour ;)

Binny looking damn good in the stats too, must be nailed on for man of the tournament?

Last edited:
I find Thingimubob's argument rather convincing. Certainly, if he wasn't excellent... none of the wingers were.

The Six Nations disciplinary committee found that Francis had "recklessly made contact with the eye or eye area of an opponent, which had been worthy of a red card".

I think almost everyone who saw replays of the incident on the day thought it was worthy of a card, except the referee and TMO who thought that 'one view' was 'inconclusive'. The words 'bottleless' and 'teflon-coated shoulders' come to mind.

So because the Scots were poor in defending his run, that counts against him? Biggar / Baldwin were poor in defending Itoje's break for Watson's try, does that take anything away from it being an excellent assist and finish?

:rolleyes: Didn't say it was genius, said it was a good poachers try. Chased hard onto Davies' kick, and was in the right place and right time to get over the line. What more do you want from your winger?

He's joint top scorer with J Joseph, made more meters than any other player (325), joint top clean breaks with Campagnaro (7) and has beaten the most defenders (21).

Stats definitely point towards him having been excellent so far! He's achieved all this despite the Welsh gameplan limiting the ball actually getting into his hands, as you so rightly pointed out. I'd say that definitely counts in his favour ;)

Binny looking damn good in the stats too, must be nailed on for man of the tournament?

Stats definitely are in his favour, from watching him I wouldn't have guessed it.

I said he couldn't have done much better, didn't at all say it should count against him. What I would say is that he doesn't look at his best. We've seen him at his destructive best against the Wallaby's and he has not got near those heights. He has done well, as I've said, but to call his tournament excellent, especially by his standards, I would have to say is incorrect, in the same way I wouldn't say JJ ahs had an excellent tournament despite being top try scorer. The most defenders beaten stat did surprise me, one more than Billy V, which is very impressive I do have to concede.

I would say the dummy kick incident was actually pretty poor, it was very poor poaching but he got lucky that the French couldn't get a hold of it after he blew the fast chance. That certainly didn't signal near to his best for me.

George North has been terrific in this 6N and is getting back to his best after playing for Saints.

It's just a pity he didn't choose to play for England, his country of birth.

George North has been terrific in this 6N and is getting back to his best after playing for Saints.

Being born in a stable does not make one a horse! ;)

I think North has been the best wing in the championship, the stats Thingimubob threw up show he's done more with less opportunity than Watson with ball in hand and he's been solid in defence. Watson's kickchase is better as is his counter attack but I think North has been the more valuable player. They're the two Lions wings on form though, if there was a world class 15 in the British Isles they'd have a rather formidable back three going to New Zealand next year.

Haha that'd be a sight, a fluent Welsh speaker playing for England ;) think pigs will fly before you see that (cue someone finding one to make me look daft...)

I hope I'm reading that wrong because that sounds like youre saying it's Lee's fault for getting offended?
No. What I am saying is the goby one should be dealt with at root (club) level as it shames all the team. Violence and physical forms of thuggery reviewed by the refs and citing board. But the word cheat was bandied about before the game. How do you expect players to respect others when those who (should) know better gob off. lead by example, treat others as you would expect them to treat you.

Being born in a stable does not make one a horse! ;)

I think North has been the best wing in the championship, the stats Thingimubob threw up show he's done more with less opportunity than Watson with ball in hand and he's been solid in defence. Watson's kickchase is better as is his counter attack but I think North has been the more valuable player. They're the two Lions wings on form though, if there was a world class 15 in the British Isles they'd have a rather formidable back three going to New Zealand next year.

I would agree with that, I think Watson will only get better, it is only recently I have seen him start to back himself on the outside channel rather than constantly stepping in, North has been pretty good considering his lack of ball in hand but hasn't played his best rugby but most of that can be attributed to the Wales game play and not a reflection on the individual himself.

- - - Updated - - -

No. What I am saying is the goby one should be dealt with at root (club) level as it shames all the team. Violence and physical forms of thuggery reviewed by the refs and citing board. But the word cheat was bandied about before the game. How do you expect players to respect others when those who (should) know better gob off. lead by example, treat others as you would expect them to treat you.

Save your breath mate, a lot around here have simply jumped on the he's a racist wagon and would probably deem head butting more forgivable and less punishable.

I don't know about what Marler said but I do know that he put his forearm into Evans face while he was on the ground.

If that had been spotted by the match officials then that would have probably been a yellow card and will be a deserved ban.

I don't know about what Marler said but I do know that he put his forearm into Evans face while he was on the ground.

If that had been spotted by the match officials then that would have probably been a yellow card and will be a deserved ban.

He's been cited for that.

Remember something that leads to a ban should of been a red card not a yellow.

I still can't belive said both Francis was being reckless and then warned him he may have more to answer for after the game. I've seen poor foul play calls before but this has to be the worst by a country mile.

Latest posts