• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 Rugby Championship] Argentina v South Africa (27/08/2016)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
140916065417362597.png

140916065412996251.png
140916065416590853.png
140916065418551640.png

Venue: Estadio Padre Ernesto Martearena,Salta
Time: 21:40 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Teams

Argentina: 15 Joaquín Tuculet, 14 Santiago Cordero, 13 Matías Orlando, 12 Juan Martín Hernández, 11 Manuel Montero, 10 Nicolás Sánchez, 9 Martín Landajo, 8 Facundo Isa, 7 Juan Manuel Leguizamón, 6 Pablo Matera, 5 Tomás Lavanini, 4 Matías Alemanno, 3 Ramiro Herrera, 2 Agustín Creevy (captain), 1 Nahuel Tetaz Chaparro

Substitutes: 16 Julian Montoya, 17 Felipe Arregui, 18 Enrique Pieretto, 19 Guido Petti, 20 Javier Ortega Desio, 21 Tomas Cubelli, 22 Santiago Gonzalez Iglesias, 23 Lucas González Amorosino

Springboks: 15 Johan Goosen, 14 Ruan Combrinck, 13 Lionel Mapoe, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Elton Jantjies, 9 Faf de Klerk, 8 Warren Whiteley, 7 Oupa Mohoje, 6 Francois Louw, 5 Lood de Jager, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 3 Vincent Koch, 2 Adriaan Strauss, 1 Tendai Mtawarira

Substitutes: 16 Bongi Mbonambi, 17 Steven Kitshoff, 18 Lourens Adriaanse, 19 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 20 Jaco Kriel, 21 Rudy Paige, 22 Morne Steyn, 23, Jesse Kriel

Last edited:
Okay so after the previous match I am sticking with my original prediction.

SA will lose against Argentina away and against Australia away. I really do hope I am wrong, but the way we are playing I think this will be the only outcome for us.

And obviously we will be murdered by New Zealand no matter where we play.

Tough to call this. Argies might sneak this one.

Agreed. However, Argentina are about as unpredictable as the French used to be some years back (now they are just predictably s**t). Hard one to pick.

Waiting on line-ups and ref to be appointed before I call it.

Yup. Especially after Faf's comments on how negative the Argies played this past weekend.

I have a feeling that the Boks will be a bit more vocal with regards to manner in which the Argies play in an attempt to influence them in changing their attitude at the breakdown. If we get a referee that is going to allow a free for all at the rucks, then I have an idea that our team will have a few changes...

Yup. Especially after Faf's comments on how negative the Argies played this past weekend.

I have a feeling that the Boks will be a bit more vocal with regards to manner in which the Argies play in an attempt to influence them in changing their attitude at the breakdown. If we get a referee that is going to allow a free for all at the rucks, then I have an idea that our team will have a few changes...

faf complaining about negative play... i lthink he's a very entertaining player but he was the king of int. knock ons during super rugby playoffs

faf complaining about negative play... i lthink he's a very entertaining player but he was the king of int. knock ons during super rugby playoffs

Most scrumhalves do that. Why waste time when you can get the penalty when they know they won't get over the advantage line? Nothing negative about it...

Because of Jerome Garces?

The French can't STILL be fuming over 95' :rolleyes:

The Boks must have learnt by now. Our guys need to be more effective at securing quick ball i.e. don't just hit the ruck hard, rather structurally compact and tight perhaps with 1-man support. Faf struggled because after hitting the ruck our guys lay there (off-feet) so the Pumas were legal to contest, according to Jackson I suppose.

Last edited:
Because of Jerome Garces?

The French can't STILL be fuming over 95' :rolleyes:

The Boks must have learnt by now. Our guys need to be more effective at securing quick ball i.e. don't just hit the ruck hard, rather structurally compact and tight perhaps with 1-man support. Faf struggled because after hitting the ruck our guys lay there (off-feet) so the Pumas were legal to contest, according to Jackson I suppose.

Jerome seems like one of those guys with a vendetta against the boks. I dont like him at all. He is Bryce lawrence's spiritual successor. He likes reffing rugby like American Football. small Bits of play with large breaks in between where the camera can focus on him.

http://dai.ly/x4nxdg5?start=2451 ball he has no chance of catching but still tips forward

https://youtu.be/naP1C0X2Pjg joubert is way too lenient with both

Lol!!

Are you serious??

That's interception attempts. Unfortunately he couldn't control the ball and it lead to a knock-on. But look at the Crusaders, if Faf kept control of that ball, it would have been tries, as there were no Crusader player at the back to defend. It's not intentional knock-ons at all, and if it was, Faf would've been penalised and recieved a yellow card. but all 3 those occasions lead to scrums awarded to the Crusaders.

Oh come on. Garces isn't that bad. Sure he's not perfect, but for me he's the lesser evil as oppose to some other referees. At least we now know how to prepare for this match keeping in mind how the referee attends to the breakdown area. This might actually work in our favour...

Are we really talking about the ref?
Come on people.

It is a massive part of the game though it cannot be denied surely. There is a difference in our win ratio with and without French referees of more than 30%. A bit more than mere perception and anomoly IMO.

Oh come on. Garces isn't that bad. Sure he's not perfect, but for me he's the lesser evil as oppose to some other referees. At least we now know how to prepare for this match keeping in mind how the referee attends to the breakdown area.
That is a big assumption. I have stopped expecting us to adapt to known 'factors' because in the past we simply havn't. I think as a nation we are stupid plain and simple.

This might actually work in our favour...
How?

It is a massive part of the game though it cannot be denied surely. There is a difference in our win ratio with and without French referees of more than 30%. A bit more than mere perception and anomoly IMO.

That is a big assumption. I have stopped expecting us to adapt to known 'factors' because in the past we simply havn't. I think as a nation we are stupid plain and simple.

How?

Garces is extremely strict, and based on how we overpowered the Argentine Scrum, I have a suspicion that he will penalise them heavily and that could result in yellow cards to their props. Add to that his handling at the breakdown, he's one of those guys who are quick to blow if an opponent doesn't roll away, something Creevy loves to do, get in the middle and delay the quick ball as often as possible.

Garces is however one of those refs that can cause a free for all at the rucks, especially when it comes to poaching, and here I think we have no choice but to start Kriel.

The Pumas give away an inordinate amount of penalties in any case. The way I see it is we are now more likely to do so as well on top of I really feel the way French referees in general handle the breakdown favors the Pumas and the breakdown is the crucial aspect of the game.

The Pumas give away an inordinate amount of penalties in any case. The way I see it is we are now more likely to do so as well on top of I really feel the way French referees in general handle the breakdown favors the Pumas and the breakdown is the crucial aspect of the game.

Perhaps. I see we have lost every match that he has officiated since 2014. His last 2 games where we played was the Semi-final at the World Cup, and our match against Japan.

Latest posts