• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 Rugby Championship] Argentina v South Africa (27/08/2016)

If England puts 50 past us in November, then the staaldraad era was better

If England puts 50 past us in November, then the staaldraad era was better

true... But I think the panic buttons will be pushed before that happens. AC is also not the kind of guy that would cling on for dear life if things doesn't go his way...

It's going to hurt, I was young when they thrashed us in 2002 but I still remember it quite well *shudders*

It's going to hurt, I was young when they thrashed us in 2002 but I still remember it quite well *shudders*

I'll never forget that day. Jannes Labuschagne's name was forever etched into my brain for that red card in the first quarter of the test.

Actually 2002 was also the first SA vs. All Blacks test I watched live... But it was at Loftus and the final score was SA 16 - 52 NZ.

Yup, 2016 could just be a repeat of 2002.

So basically we need to wait two more years before we can watch rugby again? Honestly, do you guys see us recovering from this and growing again or do you think it's a steady decline from here on out?

We've been complaining since Pdivvy / HM, but at least they were able to keep us within the top 3/4 in the world

I'll never forget that day. Jannes Labuschagne's name was forever etched into my brain for that red card in the first quarter of the test.

Actually 2002 was also the first SA vs. All Blacks test I watched live... But it was at Loftus and the final score was SA 16 - 52 NZ.

Yup, 2016 could just be a repeat of 2002.

I was there at Loftus that day. I had worst seat in the house. Springboks got trashed. Not a great day for rugby.

Last edited:
If the ref have seen the high tackles, we should played at least 20 min with 1+ players.

Im actualy happy i have the felling that with a little more precision attacking we could do 10+ points in both matches. I feel we were the better team overall in the series. Good tackling, good attacking rugby, Almost no yellows haha, Some players in a very good level.

On the bad side, We still depend on Hernandez having a good match along Sanchez to be really offensive and it shows. Also, we kind disappear 10 min every match and the other team closes or gains a big lead.

Montero still plays like a 60kg player instead of a 105kg one.

The one Argentina player, no idea who it was, maybe Landajo. The camera focused on him for a few seconds and he was pulling all these faces, was amazing, totally cracked up. Any idea what went on there?

He was claiming a high tackle to him in the action previous to the Tuculet's try, at the 30:25 min, when Mohoje (for first time?) took his neck.

Last edited:
On the bad side, We still depend on Hernandez having a good match along Sanchez to be really offensive and it shows. Also, we kind disappear 10 min every match and the other team closes or gains a big lead.

Don't be so hard on your team.
Remember all the Rugby World Cups in history, bar one, have been won by the other three teams you play against in the Rugby Championship.
You are in top drawer company. If the boys fall off the pace every now and then its not because they lack motivation, attitude or focus, it's got more to do with the quality of the opposition and getting used to playing your own game and style at the level of high pressure test rugby.
A fantastic result from a really enjoyable match.
The Boks might not be at their strongest right now but they have a rich tradition and boatloads of fight in them. It's a very rare day indeed that anyone gives the Boks a hiding and just to beat them is a massive result, they are strong, physical and they know how to win they're always tough to beat at home or away.
This was a milestone victory for the Pumas with their first home win over South Africa and they are slowly but surely growing into their own and coming of age.

Last edited:
Yes we are struggling a bit now and we will probably get thrashed by England and the All Blacks. However if you look closer, you'll see that the Boks have a brand new and inexperienced team and new coach. No more Victor Matfield, Bakkies Botha, Bismarck du Plessis, Schalk Burger and Fourie Du Preez. In come Faf de Klerk, Warren Whiteley, Lionel Mapoe, Julian Redelinghuys, Oupa Mohoje and Ruan Combrinck. Guys like Lood de Jager, Elton Jantjies, Damian De Allende don't have that many caps behind their names. Then we have old heads that's out of form like Vermeulen and Francois Louw. So it's a team in a bit of disarray at the moment after a lot of changes, but once everything settles down and players regain their form, the the Boks will get going again.

Bad news for the Pumas. Apparently, Tomas Lavanini broke the cruciate ligaments :shock:

I don't know if they had lossed of consciousness they must pass a date as in the RWC.

And Montero will be in the sidelines three weeks with a muscular injury in his left adductor magnus muscle.

Last edited:
The Pumas roster for the NZ-Australia tour:

1-Nahuel Tetaz Chaparro
2-Agustín Creevy
3-Ramiro Herrera
4-Matías Alemanno
5-Guido Petti
6-Pablo Matera
7-Facundo Isa
8-Juan Manuel Leguizamón
9-Martín Landajo
10-Nicolás Sánchez
11-Matías Moroni
12-Juan Martín Hernández
13-Matías Orlando
14-Santiago Cordero
15-Joaquín Tuculet
16-Julián Montoya
17-Lucas Noguera
18-Enrique Pieretto
19-Marcos Kremer
20-Leonardo Senatore
21-Javier Ortega Desio
22-Lucas González Amorosino
23-Tomás Cubelli
24-Santiago González Iglesias
25-Felipe Arregui
26-Ramiro Moyano
27-Felipe Ezcurra
28-Jerónimo de la Fuente

So basically we need to wait two more years before we can watch rugby again? Honestly, do you guys see us recovering from this and growing again or do you think it's a steady decline from here on out?

We've been complaining since Pdivvy / HM, but at least they were able to keep us within the top 3/4 in the world

We will always complain because we're passionate.

Pdivvy inherited a world cup winning group of players all in their prime; HM had more to do in developing a new team, but we still looked uninventive in his last few matches.

AC is basically starting a team from scratch, but this DOES NOT mean our Springboks have to perform as poor as they did. Jake White took over from a Rudolph Strauli team which got knocked out in QF of RWC 2003 and also had to start from scratch, but won the 2004 tri-nations.

Big congrats to Argentina for their victory. They played the best rugby on the day and made our defense look absolutely shell-shocked whenever they attacked.

Although this game could still have been won or lost by either side in the final minutes, its fair to state the best team won and from a South African point of view the result should actually help more than it hurts.

The Boks have now won 3/5, but could so easily have been 0/5. None of those games were a convincing win and their performances themselves left more questions than answers.

I can only talk of what I see transpiring on the field on a matchday basis and what I can see is that our national team's rugby has gone backwards under AC. Sure there are a lot of questionable influences impeding on our national structures, but that is no excuse for this kind of display and for that the questions can only be rooted at the coaching of the team. Not based on their credentials, but purely on what they're able to bring out of this group of players and at present they are failing miserably.

Ok not to bad, Lavanini can be replaced by Petti and Montero was just consuming air so we can put some else with no issues.

Almost a pity Mohoje isn't suspended IMO. Combrinck out for a certanty. And I understand Jantjies might be out as well as Goosen (uncertain here)? What I'd like to see:

1 S Kitshoff ( just so much more dynamic and even more impactful at scrum than beast so no downside other than on the (imaginary but unfortunately so critically important in SA) cap and race score cards.
2 M Marx (Strauss has been AWOL and not isn't standing up as a particularly inspiring captain either from my POV)
3 V Koch
4 E Etzebeth
5 PS du Toit (De Jager not at the same level currently) (Is Mostert injured? Might opt to move Du Toit to blindside)
6 J Kriel (One lekker pass in 5 matches doesn't make up for the fact that Louw hasn't been impactful in his core duties IMO)
7 Surely we have some meat somewhere? I've been feeling like we havn't had the physical dominance our backlines are used to. Du Preez? We need someone who can excel in the tight seeing as Kriel and Whiteley like to play with more width.
8 W Whiteley (Captain)(Maybe can be more influential and play his natural roaming game if we don't have so many passengers in the pack)

9 F de Klerk
10 ? who is standing?
11 Habana (default IMO while we wait on our young wingers to step up in SR)(Otherwise Hougaard)
12 R Janse van Rensburg (De Allende shouldn't be regaining form in green. That what the CC is for IMO)
13 JP Petersen (maybe give Mapoe one more shot and see if goes better without De Allende on his inside but JPP though having lost a yard of pace could bring some stability to our backline which has looked all but assured)
14 F Hougaard or W le Roux (I don't trust Le Roux at the back and his returns and joining the line has been poor recently but these guys provide additional value on the wing other than simply just pace)
15 J Kriel (seeing as we are clutching at straws)

Last edited:

Latest posts