• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 Rugby Championship] Argentina vs New Zealand (02/10/2016)

The Jones Boy

First XV
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
New Zealand
140916065417362597.png

140916065412996251.png
140916065416590853.png
140916065415463267.png

Venue: Estadio Jose Amalfitani,Buenos Aires
Time: 00:10 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Referee: TBA
Assistant Referees: TBA
TMO: TBA

Teams

Argentina: TBA

New Zealand: TBA

All Blacks: Dane Coles, Liam Coltman, Codie Taylor, Wyatt Crockett, Charlie Faumuina, Owen Franks, Joe Moody, Ofa Tu'ungafasi, Brodie Retallick, Luke Romano, Patrick Tuipulotu, Sam Whitelock, Elliot Dixon, Jerome Kaino (South Africa only), Kieran Read, Ardie Savea, Liam Squire, Matt Todd, Tawera Kerr-Barlow, TJ Perenara, Aaron Smith, Beauden Barrett, Damian McKenzie, Lima Sopoaga, Ryan Crotty, Malakai Fekitoa, Anton Lienert-Brown, George Moala, Israel Dagg, Waisake Naholo, Julian Savea, Ben Smith.

Interesting additions and a danger sign to see Kaino injured.

(Pinched from elsewhere) "This raises the question of whether the selectors can contemplate resting captain and No 8 Kieran Read, who has started all seven tests this season and also carried a hefty workload during the Super Rugby season with the Crusaders.

It's logical to make changes for the test against Argentina; but removing Read, so another inexperienced man like Liam Squire can start in the back row, would be risky.

Given the All Blacks, who have won their last 15 tests, are eager to keep steering towards a new world record for a tier-one nation by recording 18 consecutive victories, coach Steve Hansen and fellow selectors Ian Foster and Grant Fox will probably be cautious about yanking the 91-test skipper.

It is a delicate balancing act; Hansen is mindful he cannot burden some players' with too many minutes ahead of the northern tour of Chicago and Europe in November."

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, we really have a chance here. A long, long travel, jet lag, 14 hours of time difference, the crowd, the different language, all these things will confuse the All Blacks game and will be a great opportunity for the Pumas. Final score? NZ by 30...

Last edited:
Injuries are starting to creep in and I wonder if we will see Kaino at all on the travel leg.
This is the beginning of a scenario I was mooting earlier where the AB's start to struggle from travel and injuries.
I can't see any more 30 point victories, it will be much tighter.
The Pumas are very strong at home.

Hernandez out for the next two games. There is something wrong with his meniscus and he will have to undergo surgery.

Please God, in this orgy of multiple injuries, could you break the Herrera's knees? Both if it's possible. Thank you!

It's just an ironic way to say we don't like "cumpa" Herrera playing in the national team. It's not a real desire man!

What does 'Cumpa' mean?
... and what is it about his skill set or playing style that makes you feel so negative about him?

HAHA herrera is so prone to making a yellow/red. Damn we miss Figalo and Ayerza.

Herrera is a bit of a liability isn't he, doesn't seem to carry much, and the few times he's tackling or rucking half the times he's doing it illegally. I don't know much about the alternatives but surely his time must be up soon, he doesn't fit with the way Los Pumas are trying to play the game nowadays

Well, he was 3rd option in the WC and if the guys in europe capould play in Pumas he would not get out of the benchmost of the times. Sadly we are stucked with him for a few years to come....

Well, he was 3rd option in the WC and if the guys in europe capould play in Pumas he would not get out of the benchmost of the times. Sadly we are stucked with him for a few years to come....

He started the semi though. We're there injuries ahead of him? I forget

What does 'Cumpa' mean?
... and what is it about his skill set or playing style that makes you feel so negative about him?

cumpa means something like "mate" fellow buddy o something like that its, a deformed version of compañero that translates to companion.

i do like him but he makes this stupid penalties and keeps on reciving yellows..

Last edited:
With the tournament in the bag maybe Hansen will be a little less ruthless? I thought Argentina started off sub-par against Australia so have room for improvement. I thought in the previous fixtures they improved with each game, so hopefully they can regain that. They really should have the ambition to keep this within 15 points here, but that's easier said than done. NZ by 20-23.

I like Dixon & Squire for sure but I'd be so much happier of Brad Shields was there. I think hes by far the closest thing we have to replacing Kaino in NZ right now in terms of the physical game & gas tank.

So far in the squad Squire seems to be the preferred option. Will be an interesting selection.

Outside of that its hard to see any changes that are not forced by injury.

I like Dixon & Squire for sure but I'd be so much happier of Brad Shields was there. I think hes by far the closest thing we have to replacing Kaino in NZ right now in terms of the physical game & gas tank.

So far in the squad Squire seems to be the preferred option. Will be an interesting selection.

Outside of that its hard to see any changes that are not forced by injury.

I agree, Shields doesn't have much flare but he has an insane work rate and as you say, is very physical. I'd rather have that from a 6 than the ball carrying of Dixon or Squire. Sadly Hansen doesn't seem to rate him, and with Akira inevitably on the way as well in the next year or so, I can't see Shields getting a look in.

yeah I think the selectors have to roll the dice sometimes. A couple of years ago we had a group of young loose forwards who became the main contenders for a 6/8 spot in the AB's basically the next generation of Kead, kaino, Messam, Vito, Thomson.

Shields, Luatua, Luke Whitelock

back then Shields was my #1 pick.
other point to note is that back then no-one rated Luke Whitelock but hes actually become a very, very good player. He's very much like Kieran Read now.

Luatua and Whitelock were the ones that got chances but I think Shields was the one who has gone on to be the best and most consistent player of that group. IMO he has been outplaying Vito at the canes for a good 3 years or so. He is still only 25, two years younger than Dixon so you can't say the opportunity has passed for him.

But yeah there is a sense of inevitability about Akira Ioane right now. Same with McKenzie its not if but when!

Dixon & Squire are good players. These two earned their spots from impressive form over the last couple of years. But you would have to say that clearly the best options for those two backup & development 6/8 spots are Ioane & Shields.

Having been out of NZ for a long time and not getting back home until the middle of next year I am enjoying going to school on the up and coming players through you guys

Latest posts