• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 Rugby Championship] New Zealand v Argentina (10/09/2016)

these AB teams are pretty boring, I wish we were doing more to build for the lions tour and 2019

ALB had a really good debut, and how hes straight out again I guess being on the bench is some constellation and maybe reflects how good he seems to be...

I've been ok with Romano for some time now but where does he rank as far as NZ's lock pecking order goes? maybe 6-8 somewhere? I'd rate Tuipolotu, Bird and Scott Barrett Ahead of him, I'd rank Broadhurst Ahead of him when he returns and Even the two hurricanes Locks that made a big impact this year have hopped up the pecking order ahead of Romano. Not old at 30 by any means but of all these guys he is the oldest.

you can still say the same for Savea, where does he rank in NZ's wingers on form? He scored a couple of tries recently but all he really did was run the ball in with some space and 1v1 close to the line. his game in general is still below par.

I think one thing counting in Saveas favor right now is that he's a big physical winger. With Naholo and Moala out we don't really have someone to add that ingredient to the mix. Do we need it? I dont think so but I think we are used to having at least one big winger who can attract defenders based on his size.

another aspect is that Argentina are improving. We can't run a B team against them anymore because on a good day they can push the AB's. And often they can hang with us for 60min or so.

still... I'm sick of waiting for McKenzie to get a run... Bledisloe 3 maybe???

I'm concerned to see Sanchez and Hernandez listed as starters. Both were reported to lose consciousness and Hernandez was stretchered off the field after a head knock - which indicates it was not a minor blow. I cannot believe it is safe for him to return so soon in such circumstances. Scotland's fly half Finn Russell has been rested for five months (and counting) after a similar incident. I know both players will be desperate to play and Argentina have a chance of a historic third or even second place, but health has to come first. I'm actually going to be a bit nervous watching this when he takes contact. There is growing evidence that the major health damage from concussion is not caused by isolated incidents, but by taking further blows when you have not 100% recovered from the initial blow.

Our bench is very, very weak.

Yes, as usual these days. Indeed, this time I'm happy with our first row replacements. What's worring (and has been for a while) are our replacemens for 10-12-13, and in this oportunity is even worse with Sanchez and Hernandez antecedents.
Of course all this problem is due to selecting from almost only one team (Jaguares). I hope they find a better way to handle this transition period as soon as possible.

Until the minute 55 or 60 will be a nice and tight match, with the AB on front by 5 or 6 points. At the end of the match the AB won by 25.

Yes, as usual these days. Indeed, this time I'm happy with our first row replacements. What's worring (and has been for a while) are our replacemens for 10-12-13, and in this oportunity is even worse with Sanchez and Hernandez antecedents.
Of course all this problem is due to selecting from almost only one team (Jaguares). I hope they find a better way to handle this transition period as soon as possible.

Pieretto, Kremer (I love him) and Moyano are very inexperienced for this stage. I would have liked more to see Gonzalez Amorosino instead of Moyano. Senatore in the bench is a good thing though.

Look at this, i'm peeing my pants... :(

16. Codie Taylor (5)
17. Wyatt Crockett (50)
18. Charlie Faumuina (38)
19. Luke Romano (24)
20. Ardie Savea (4)
21. TJ Perenara (21)
22. Aaron Cruden (41)
23. Anton Lienert-Brown (1)

It is clear that the situation of Argentina with one franchise is better than before but isn't enough, we need at least another franchise more in the superugby.

Short term Argentina should look at making their emerging players more appealing for other clubs in Super Rugby. The Sunwolves and Australian sides in particular could benefit from some top young Argentine talent to bolster their squads and due to economies these players should be cheaper than from any other SR nation. Any player playing in SR is eligible and this would be a decent option until that second franchise becomes more viable (i.e. when the Jaguares start challenging for a playoff spot).

Short term Argentina should look at making their emerging players more appealing for other clubs in Super Rugby. The Sunwolves and Australian sides in particular could benefit from some top young Argentine talent to bolster their squads and due to economies these players should be cheaper than from any other SR nation. Any player playing in SR is eligible and this would be a decent option until that second franchise becomes more viable (i.e. when the Jaguares start challenging for a playoff spot).

Yes, sure. This is one thing the UAR should be working on.
However, I don't think that will make our player's pool much wider, or work as fast as we need.

The UAR should start thinking about give some players an availability extension, and let them play 1/2 years on europe while still consider them for the Pumas.

I see Kieran Read is taking the Pumas very seriously and referring to them as the 2nd best team in the Southern Hemisphere.
That is exactly the correct approach.
Gone are the days of taking the Pumas lightly, these guys have beaten South Africa twice in the last 12 months, home and away.
They have pushed the All Blacks hard in Argentina on a regular basis and they have been a handful for the Wallabies.
I commend our Captain and the All Black management for sending this message to the team.
The Pumas are a dangerous outfit and they deserve the respect of an international top tier team.
Just look at their RWC pedigree since 2007.
Very impressive.
The quality of rugby they have exhibited against the Boks in their last two outings has been a world apart from the Argentina of say 15 to 20 years ago.
Their strength in the set piece alone warrants close scrutiny.
Their players are sought by overseas clubs.
I hope the Argentina rugby union keeps pouring money into their game because they are the 'find' of the last decade.
Many people thought they wouldn't make the grade in the RC and pointed at Italy in the 6 Nations as a likely outcome but the Pumas have risen to the challenge and woe betide any country that takes them lightly.

Last edited:
Yes, sure. This is one thing the UAR should be working on.
However, I don't think that will make our player's pool much wider, or work as fast as we need.

The UAR should start thinking about give some players an availability extension, and let them play 1/2 years on europe while still consider them for the Pumas.

If Argentna can win one more game in the RC then I think they'd consider it a complete vindication of their selection rules. That one win alone in the last game might be enough. I don't think it'll be changing before the next RWC but maybe some Europe based players could consider the switch to SR for 2018 to try and recapture their place in the national team.

Anyway, really looking forward to this despite NZ being heavy favourites. Both are so entertaining with ball in hand that it's just a great fixture for a neutral.

and the All Blacks doing their silly dance again.
I'm waiting for teams to laugh at them :D

My oh my! Really hope Pumas show that NZ are a team in transition with some dubious player selections.

Latest posts