• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 Rugby Championship] New Zealand v Australia (27/08/2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
140916065417362597.png

140916065415463267.png
140916065416590853.png
140916065414622115.png

Venue: Westpac Stadium,Wellington
Time: 09:35 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Tamanivalu, Rieko Ioane, Coleman, Parsons and McKenzie have all been brought into the squad for the All Blacks.

I can't see anything other than an ABs win. Brave prediction, I know! However, surely the margin won't be as bad. Pride, and their idiotic coach getting his head together, would see them make it a bit more respectable; surely?

Dont think cheika is part of the problem. Remember Ewen Mckenzie? That guy was a great coach at super rugby level and everyone thought he was going to turn around Australia's fortunes. Unfortunately he was never given enough time and he was booted. Cheika is in the same boat we know he is a good coach (with a bad temperament) . He need more time. Its the mentality of the Wallaby players that needs to be fixed. NZ has shown that consistency with coaches can be a good thing as you can make a case that their coaching staff has not changed very much since Graham Henry came in. In football managers get ineffective after 3 years in rugby people seem to believe its 4 years but Australia cant afford to let Cheika go now.

Dont think cheika is part of the problem. Remember Ewen Mckenzie? That guy was a great coach at super rugby level and everyone thought he was going to turn around Australia's fortunes. Unfortunately he was never given enough time and he was booted. Cheika is in the same boat we know he is a good coach (with a bad temperament) . He need more time. Its the mentality of the Wallaby players that needs to be fixed. NZ has shown that consistency with coaches can be a good thing as you can make a case that their coaching staff has not changed very much since Graham Henry came in. In football managers get ineffective after 3 years in rugby people seem to believe its 4 years but Australia cant afford to let Cheika go now.

I don't know. Cheika is perhaps a good coach, but he's part of the problem in my view. He badmouths his opposition way too much and 9 times out of 10, they shut him up on the field. It would be better if he doesn't get involved with petty namecalling and trying to play mindgames with opposition when your team is performing as poorly as they are. His arrogance along with not showing the proper respect to his opposing coach and his team, is part of the problem the Aussie team are playing so crap. At least that's how I see it.

Add to that, playing Pocock at 8 and Hooper along with Fardy, it just seems like the Balance is wrong. 2 fetchers and a blindside flanker, where's the grunt?? I would rather drop Pocock or Hooper, and bring in a proper ball carrier in at 8. You might not win every ball at the ruck from the opposition, but you will definitely be able to secure your own ball more often and not give the opposition more chances to contest at the breakdown.

Sometimes trying to be too fancy without having the ferocious can also be your downfall.

I just think their tactics look daft at times. I'm assuming that is his call. Having seen the England series, you could make an argument that they were the better team in a couple of those games, and should have won. They just don't seem to have a kicking game (at least one that makes any sense), and the players don't appear to help with their handling skills. I remember one try they coughed up to England by trying to run from their own 22, when they were pretty comfortable in the game. That could be an onfield decision, but they sure as hell don't help themselves. Yes, the ABs will run from deep, but usually on turnover ball, or if it has been kicked down their throats.

Aussie have got a good ball carrying no.8 in Ben McCalman they just don't play the bloke. He's a monster and looks good when Aussie occasionally get go forward ball.
I'd play him solidly and let him grow into the role. Pocock should be at 7 and Hooper on the bench.

Aussie have got a good ball carrying no.8 in Ben McCalman they just don't play the bloke. He's a monster and looks good when Aussie occasionally get go forward ball.
I'd play him solidly and let him grow into the role. Pocock should be at 7 and Hooper on the bench.

Fardy or McMahon 6?

I can't see anything other than an ABs win. Brave prediction, I know! However, surely the margin won't be as bad. Pride, and their idiotic coach getting his head together, would see them make it a bit more respectable; surely?
Compare the score of the 1h to the one of the 2h. 1h was the perfect storm. Australia imploded and you had a perfect half. Can happen again but i don't think it's likely.
You will win thou.

I don't know. Cheika is perhaps a good coach, but he's part of the problem in my view. He badmouths his opposition way too much and 9 times out of 10, they shut him up on the field. It would be better if he doesn't get involved with petty namecalling and trying to play mindgames with opposition when your team is performing as poorly as they are. His arrogance along with not showing the proper respect to his opposing coach and his team, is part of the problem the Aussie team are playing so crap. At least that's how I see it.

Add to that, playing Pocock at 8 and Hooper along with Fardy, it just seems like the Balance is wrong. 2 fetchers and a blindside flanker, where's the grunt?? I would rather drop Pocock or Hooper, and bring in a proper ball carrier in at 8. You might not win every ball at the ruck from the opposition, but you will definitely be able to secure your own ball more often and not give the opposition more chances to contest at the breakdown.

Sometimes trying to be too fancy without having the ferocious can also be your downfall.

Cheika is a dick but i cant remember him bad mouthing opposition, the referees he will have a go at.

Yep... coaching continuity requires patience on the part of those who pay the bills.

Look how long it took Sir Clive Woodward in the job before his team were able to bring home the World Cup.

Sat, 15 Nov 1997

Woodward had an overall win rate of 75%, but that belies how poor his win rate was in the first year of his tenure....36%

Could the wallabies beat a NZ C team? Because I'm bored :p

1, Loni Uhila
2, Hika Elliot
3, Ben May
4, Dominic Bird
5, Scott Barrett
6, Stephen Luatua
7, Kara Pryor
8, Brad Shields(C)
9, Webber
10, Stephen Donald(VC)
11, James Lowe
12, Willis Halaholo
13, Seta Tamanivalu
14, Matt Faddes
15, McKenzie

16, Ricky Riccitelli
17, Daniel Lienert-Brown
18, Josh Hohneck
19, Michael Fatialofa
20, Taleni Seu
21, Jamison Gibson-Park
22, Ihia West
23, Matt Proctor

Coaches: Renee, Plumtree & Umaga (hehe good luck Aussies!!~)

:D great team larksea. Is Tuipolotu injured? And could we still include Victor Vito or is he gone already? Ash Dixon at 16 maybe? And maybe (maybe) Mitchell Drummond or Augustine Pulu instead of JGP? Also would love to find room for Vaea Fifita.... :aggressive:

I think we need to start a D team.... :lol:

Last edited:
Fardy or McMahon 6?

Fardy would be my choice.
He's a quality player.
McCalman is a genuine big no.8, he can add muscle to stop Sam Cane marauding and to keep Kaino from having too much influence.
Pocock is arguably the best 7 operating in the world right now, he needs to be kept at 7.
Hooper to the bench. I don't mean to be rude to him but Hooper looks like he's had too many whallops to his noggin.

As always, the Wallabies will win this :D

seriously, some interesting changes - I expect Cooper to come in at 10 and Kerevi to partner Kuridrani in the centres. Fardy to come into 6 and McCalman to the bench.

I would like to see Reece Hodge and Lopeti Timani to make their debut from the bench this week but Foley and Mumm will probably be there instead.

:D great team larksea. Is Tuipolotu injured? And could we still include Victor Vito or is he gone already? Ash Dixon at 16 maybe? And maybe (maybe) Mitchell Drummond or Augustine Pulu instead of JGP? Also would love to find room for Vaea Fifita.... :aggressive:

I think we need to start a D team.... :lol:

Tuipolotu is our Third lock, was unusual that the AB's went with Squre & Savea on the bench last game, no lock. Expect to see Tui there more maybe get a start against Argentina.
Vito's overseas now but I rate Shields & Luatua over him anyway... yeah Dixon maybe a more experienced option compared to Ricky. Yeah Drummond too, JGP has good energy off the bench I do think his pass needs some work though.

Selectors seem really keen to give squire gametime, interesting thinking considering Read looks to have #8 sealed till 2019.
Think maybe the selectors see Squire as a option to take over from Kaino at 6, more so than Dixon. Kaino is 33 now and may not make it till 2019. I can see Kaino moving on after the Lions Tour and akira ioane moving in at 6.

in fact how did I not get akira ioane in my C team. If hes not in the main AB squad hes a shoe in. Dead set future AB. Luatua and Shields both Worthy still, what Austraila would do to have access to those two right now!? Lose forward Depth is absolutely insane. Throw some more names around like Dan Pryor, Tom Sanders, Jordan Taufua and Matt Todd ffs. I had to throw Kara Pryor in there, hes looked fantastic coming in the latter part of the season and given the blues a sharp edge.

It's being reported that Cooper may start at 12 and Kerevi may take the 13 shirt. I like that Kerevi may be getting an opportunity in his position but Cooper at 12?! Things really aren't looking great for the Wallabies...

"Quade’s someone who I would consider in the team at 10 or 12 or at fullback, depending on what our situation requires.

Obviously we’ve lost a few of our regular 12s, so we’re going to have to do something there that’s a little bit different whether it’s structure in our play or set-up in our personnel." - Cheika

Quayde Cooper might be public enema! no.1 in NZ but he's still a talented player who knows how to run a back line and attack.
In order for him to give that game he needs protection from his forward pack against the lurking loose forwards that want to remove his head from his shoulders.
If he does not get that protection he gets rattled quickly and becomes a problem for his own team.

Quayde Cooper might be public enema! no.1 in NZ but he's still a talented player who knows how to run a back line and attack.
In order for him to give that game he needs protection from his forward pack against the lurking loose forwards that want to remove his head from his shoulders.
If he does not get that protection he gets rattled quickly and becomes a problem for his own team.

Apart from his character traits, as a player, he is along the lines of Michalack, Gregor Townsend or Carlos Spencer! Mercurial and can turn a game but could be either way....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts