• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 Rugby Championship] New Zealand v Australia (27/08/2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just seen the eye gouge from Franks . That could end up in a very long ban . Tomas Francis got 8 weeks for far less than that on Dan Cole . If the citing panel are even nearly consistent (which we know they aren't) he should be looking at 16 weeks . What's his previous like ?

Yep pretty bad. Looks like he'll face a long ban and not play for the rest of the RC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just seen the eye gouge from Franks . That could end up in a very long ban . Tomas Francis got 8 weeks for far less than that on Dan Cole . If the citing panel are even nearly consistent (which we know they aren't) he should be looking at 16 weeks . What's his previous like ?
Galarza got 13 weeks after his first game (vs NZ) in the RWC.

I hate the ABs games, they always win lol

Yeah I don't expect Franks to play the RC again this year after looking at that, not sure how much good contact was made with the eyes but the intent was very clear.

Pretty good game by the AB's, ALB had a blinder for his first test and I only saw 1 mistake from him towards the end, everything else he did was awesome.

TBH when NMS is fit and McKenzie has game time I struggle to see where Cruden fits in to the 23.

Aussie rugby fans must be shaking there head, not only did Aus come out with this in your face ****ly approach to the game but it got them nowhere and they have scored 1 try in 160 odd minutes of rugby. They troed to gte under the AB's skin every way possible but the AB's for the most just rose above it and let the rugby do the talking.

Last edited:
Wont be surprised to see Franks get a ban and TBH I dont think we'll miss him that much.

I still gotta say its a nothing though. If it was a real eyegouge the Aussie player would have some sort of injury to prove it and they didnt winge enough when it happened for it to be a "real" eye gouge.

And before all the usual posters turn up with their ridiculous PC BS I think players like the Argentine in the WC and so on were seriously hard done by aswell. Rugby needs to shake off this PC rubbish and move on. Unless its irrefutable that something serious happened these incidents are nothing more than PC gone mad.

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't see the game you really have to ask what's happened to Australia. Last year they were winning the Rugby Championship and making the RWC Final. Demolishing England at Twickers along the way. Now it's all gone Pete Tong white washed by England and NZ.

I mean it like like they peaked that evening in Twickenham now it's just getting worse.

They only won the RC because of that one off performance sydney which Barnes contributed a great deal to. We thrashed these guys at Eden park and the WC final when it mattered. Australia winning the rugby championship was an aberration (and I think thats putting it mildy given the results since that pretty much prove something was up with that sydney game).

You are simply overrating this Australian team because they beat your useless team when it mattered.

Yep pretty bad. Looks like he'll face a long ban and not play for the rest of the RC.

Yep, this is pretty bad alright. Stupid stuff from Franks. I'll be very surprised if he doesn't get cited and suspended.

To be fair though, the Wallabies did put in a lot of dirty, off the ball stuff themselves. IMO, Cheika sent his players into this game with a plan to disrupt NZ possession as much as possible and not worry if they did so illegally. This was intended to spoil the flow of the game as much as they could in order to limit the damage on the scoreline.

As for Coleman, he looked like he had the red mist right from the kickoff; he was a "Yellow Card Walking" right from the outset. I reckon Cheika sent him out with "instructions"; don't worry about discipline and don't worry if you get carded, just do some damage. It was no surprise to me when he finally pulled out that stupid late, high shoulder charge on Ben Smith and got binned. Could have been red card if it had been any higher.

As for the Dane Coles so called swinging arm, that was nothing. Kaino bore the brunt of the strike, Fardy a copped a glancing blow at best. My question is, why was Fardy allowed to cheat and lie over the ball, making no attempt to roll away. If Poite does his job and pings Fardy, none of this happens. I wouldn't put any store in what Fitzpatrick says (I haven't done so for some years now). He's gone to the Dark Side, his paymasters are British TV, so he'll tell them what they want to hear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Missed it during the game but dunno what Franks was thinking... And saying there was ****ly stuff from the Aussies during the game doesn't excuse it!

Consistent with past decision he should definitely be gone for the rest of the RC.

No citing apparently.

Not convinced he was trying to gouge TBH, more likely just trying to cover the eyes/nose and distract Douglas from disrupting the ball.
I don't think I'm being naive in that either... I can't see anyone of Franks' experience trying to gouge in that obvious of a position in a game they were almost certain to win... ****le or not.

The fact that there's not been a complaint or citing from Aus would suggest that's the case.

Anyone seen SBW's callout of Cheika?

Showing great insight in mocking his award for coach of the year 2015, nearly 9 months into 2016.

Last edited:
Looks like there will be no citing

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...ks-under-scrutiny-from-wallabies-for-incident

Seems it looked worse than it really was.

The important bit is....

[TEXTAREA]"competition governing body Sanzaar has apparently said there will be no citings from the match, with no incidents referred by either team."[/TEXTAREA]

Wallabies management knew about it, but they didn't deem it worthy of mention to the match review committee.

ETA: ninja'd by rats

Last edited:
No citing apparently.

Not convinced he was trying to gouge TBH, more likely just trying to cover the eyes/nose and distract Douglas from disrupting the ball.
I don't think I'm being naive in that either... I can't see anyone of Franks' experience trying to gouge in that obvious of a position in a game they were almost certain to win... ****le or not.

The fact that there's not been a complaint or citing from Aus would suggest that's the case.

Showing great insight in mocking his award for coach of the year 2015, nearly 9 months into 2016.

Surprised he hasn't been cited and I feel he should, not a fan of fingers near the eyes.

AS for calling out Cheika, fair enough, I still can't believe he got coach of the year.

Franks did not get cited.
The video doesn't look good on Franks behalf. However it doesn't clearly show eye gouging or just a face rub. The referee is right there point at Douglas, probably suggesting to Franks to take hands off. Wallabies could have also referred the incident if they believed foul play was there.

Surprised he hasn't been cited and I feel he should, not a fan of fingers near the eyes.

AS for calling out Cheika, fair enough, I still can't believe he got coach of the year.

Hmmm.. I respect SBW as a player and generally think he is good bloke. However that comment about Cheika is a bit unprofessional and a bit disrespectful coming from a current All Black (yes he is a current All Black, just injured and won't play for a while). You don't see any other AB making public comment about Cheika coach of the year. I may be a bit PC, but that's the ABs have high standards, and kicking an opposition coach when down is not the right (doesn't matter how much of a d**k he is).

And in all fairness to Cheika and World Rugby, the award was based on 2015 results, where he coached a team to win RC and reach WC final when neither was expected from them that year. So it was deserved. All this talk about coach of the year award not being deserved is coming on the back of 2016 results, which is irrelevant because he won 2015 award for 2015 results.

^^^ spot on. I agreed with him getting coach of the year last year, as last year he took a team that lost to Ireland and a mediocre England side to winning the RC and getting to the RWC final in the span of a year.

^^ It's comments like these that makes me not respect opinions of other nations fans.

I have a feeling it's more down to a sense of validity appropriated from being an Inzidder AB's fan.

I may be wrong, but I've seen you before, son. Your lot are pitifully generic.

Also the colossal failure to recognize Hansen bringing home back to back World Cups, a feat that has never been achieved and firmly cementing the All Blacks as one of the greatest sporting teams ever and certainly the great Rugby team in history.

Oh yeah, it was definitely Hansen that cemented the AB's reputation... not the century of dominance before he had anything to do with it, or the world-leading development system put in place before his coaching career had even been cleared for takeoff.

Last edited:
Oh come on dr0p kick, please do stop being so ignorant.

Hansen has the best pool of players in the world to select from, I won't deny he's an incredible coach and easily the best in the world, but my local club coach could've won that World Cup with those players available to him.

Over the last 8 years Hansen has been almost certainly the most dominant coach across any sport, but the 2015 Coach of the Year Award wasn't for the last 8 years, it was for 2015, and in 2015 Cheika turned a failing Oz side into a team that reached the RWC Final while Hansen turned the #1 side into the world into the #1 side in the world. In 2015 as an individual year Cheika deserved to win the Coach of the Year.

In 2015, in Hanson also deserved to win the Coach of the year, for sure. But World Rugby needs to recognise the efforts of all countries. ABs already wiped out player of the year , team of the year. Hanson met his expectations, he coached a team that were favourites to victory.

Cheika and Wallabies exceeded expectations. World Rugby wanted to recognise Wallabies achievements in 2015 and the Coach of the Year seemed liked a logical award.

A win is a win and a loss is a loss, doesn't matter who was taking which game seriously or not.

I think its very telling. SBW obviously rates Hansen, for him to come out and say something like that is kinda unusual. And im not a SBW fan in any shape or form.

And TBH SBW is spot on the money this time. That award that cheika got was a bloody disgrace to the sport.:mad:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts