• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 Rugby Championship] South Africa v Australia (01/10/2016)

Steyn and Hougaard would've been better.
Disagree, if we're going to go full on Jake White mode we might as well go balls deep.

Edit: Meaning Hougie is a running 9 as well and not well suited to the territorial game as he has proven.

Last edited:
Springbok team announcement is now on.

- - - Updated - - -

15. Lambie

Paige and Steyn the 9, 10

- - - Updated - - -

Why do South African coaches (and even players) always say the same crap ?

They (the opponents) are a good quality side, good players and experienced players, it will be a tough game...

Last edited:
I wont complain too much. But why drop Goosen completely? He has been good. Why when players get dropped they get dropped out of the squad completely. But enough negativity.
I hope they perform well and get a win for us:). I think we will win.

I don't know what to say, I cannot compute.

Error

WTF?? No Goosen?? Same pack of forwards?? Still no start for Kriel??

Either it's a masterstroke or a brainfart...

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I hope we lose both the next games so we can get AC and his entire coaching staff fired

A little surprised to see Lambie at fullback, and with Steyn at pivot (as anticipated) I can only think AC is placing more reliance on credible kickers.

I really thought this time he would at least have given Jaco Kriel his 1st start though. He is clearly giving everybody else a "deserved start" (Mohoje, De Jongh, Kriel, Paige, Lambie). He certainly has more energy than Flo by now :rolleyes:

Although, with the Boks win-ratio below 50% so far this season I guess every match from hereon out will be lottery for selection to fit the plan so as to just see out the rest of the season.

"... build on continuity.." his choice of words is also under-going a rotational policy.

I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I hope we lose both the next games so we can get AC and his entire coaching staff fired

Well Loftus is nearly Sold out and Durban too... so there will be a lot of angry fans ready to go Pieter Van Zyl on their ass!!

Some bullish Boks above! It's a settled side for Oz and almost a "back to square one" job from Coetzee, so I have to give this to the Aussies by 7-9 points. Particularly as I thought the first game between these two had a scoreline that was closer than the actual contest was.

Barring the selection of Mapoe (after binning his halfback teammates) and having Lambie at 15 rather than 10, I think there is some common sense in AC's selection here. I thought Goosen, Janjties and Faf all performed badly kicking ball from hand in recent games. I think it's clear AC wants to emphasise the kicking game and has finally made a selection that matches what appears to be his vision for how the team should play.

I love bold running rugby and risk taking in your own 22 and think the Lions show that South Africa is capable of that. But I think it's important for the sport that teams that kick well, play for territory before launching attacks and have strong set pieces are able to compete at the highest level (if coached properly). I think the rules might have changed too much to make that possible, but I hope I'm wrong. So I'll be keeping my fingers crossed South Africa surprise me and throttle the Wallabies. It'd be dull if every team played the same way and tactics took a back seat.

I'm not particularly surprised at the selections. A bit of a mixed bag. I'm not particularly concerned either. I find myself more and more disinterested in the sport.

Clearly Coetzee is caught between the players available to him and the 'style' he wants to play. He should just throw off all expectation on him ITO selections and the route we all know he wants to go and select a team that closes up shop and kicks well. Pity all those players are either overseas or retired.

I'm not particularly surprised at the selections. A bit of a mixed bag. I'm not particularly concerned either. I find myself more and more disinterested in the sport.

Clearly Coetzee is caught between the players available to him and the 'style' he wants to play. He should just throw off all expectation on him ITO selections and the route we all know he wants to go and select a team that closes up shop and kicks well. Pity all those players are either overseas or retired.

I am starting to feel the same way. I have only watched the first Springbok match of the Rugby Championship. Starting to get into football now and I have to say it is not as bad as I thought.

... Barring the selection of Mapoe (after binning his halfback teammates) and having Lambie at 15 rather than 10, I think there is some common sense in AC's selection here. I thought Goosen, Janjties and Faf all performed badly kicking ball from hand in recent games. I think it's clear AC wants to emphasise the kicking game and has finally made a selection that matches what appears to be his vision for how the team should play.

Agreed - both Faf & Elton were woeful and they posed no threat at all. It actually appeared as if the players around them found it somewhat difficult to judge and hence could not attack the ball from these left-footers launching off the base or stand-off positions. Although I feel Goosen a bit unfortunate to miss the cut, a fit & available Lambie should be a no-brainer for selection.

The Wallabies are indeed gaining momentum. I don't think Pocock's injury should affect their approach for this match at all. A lot is going to depend on how the battle upfront turns out in terms providing a platform for the halfbacks in wanting to dictate territory. The weather conditions also seems favourable for the teams to have a crack at throwing the ball wide.

The momentum definitely seems on the Wallabies side and I won't discount them as favorites, however one has to feel a bit optimistic at the Boks chances playing at home.

Imagine this backline:

15. J Kriel
14. Hougaard
13. J Goosen
12. F Steyn
11. Habana
10. Lambie / Pollard
9. ?? / de Klerk

But that would never fly..

Imagine this backline:

15. J Kriel
14. Hougaard
13. J Goosen
12. F Steyn
11. Habana
10. Lambie / Pollard
9. ?? / de Klerk

But that would never fly..

Yes i can agree with that backline. Will outkick any team in the world.
Its time they bring back Francois Steyn. We need to play with allo our best uninjured players. They cant use the overseas cards and say they would rather pick local players because there is many foreign players with weaker credentials than F Steyn like M Steyn in the squad.

Over 40 000 expected. Don't people realise that if you stay away you might get SARU to change their tune ? Attending games funds the status quo.

Latest posts