• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 Super Rugby] Cheetahs vs. Jaguares (Round 1) 26/02/2016

Good win for the Jags in a position they really shouldn't of been able to come back. Oh so close for the Cheetahs, their missed kicks at goal and their lack of impact at the ruck their ultimate demise. Was seriously impressed with Francios Venter and Tiaan Meyer once he came on.

- - - Updated - - -

Second team is now anyone who plays the Jags, the sheer back talking, complaining and foul play was appalling.

Jaguares win first up away from home. Very impressive!

Ho Lee Fuk. Can't believe I forgot to record that, looks like an absolute stormer. Welcome to Super Rugby!

Awesome for the Jaguares to debut in SR with a win! Hope I can catch some highlights somewhere tonight.

Very important to start with a win.

Many silly mistakes and stupid decisions though, that could prove to be disadvantageous four us in the future. We definetly need to mind our discipline in the upcoming matches.

Venter is fantastic btw

Nice!!! What a game, so happy for the Jags, really good positive result for them first up.

- - - Updated - - -

I have Creevey, Paz and Herrera in my fantasy team.

Shame their first hit out isn't in Argentina to get the ball rolling, but Cheetahs isn't the strongest team, I'm expecting L. De Jager to play well, but I think the Jags will edge this.

Yeah boys!

- - - Updated - - -

I ended up stranded in spain and had to go through an ordeal just to watch the game. Happy about the win but what a disappointment. We clearly have the talent but our first 20 minutes were nothing short of disgraceful. To be completely honest, we kind of got away with murder. We should have been three players down at one point. It was frustrating to watch. Talent can sometimes overcome lack of focus, but only for a while. We got lucky. We literally gave away +20 points, for free.

I ended up stranded in spain and had to go through an ordeal just to watch the game. Happy about the win but what a disappointment. We clearly have the talent but our first 20 minutes were nothing short of disgraceful. To be completely honest, we kind of got away with murder. We should have been three players down at one point. It was frustrating to watch. Talent can sometimes overcome lack of focus, but only for a while. We got lucky. We literally gave away +20 points, for free.

yep! lavanini dint look like fouling on purpose, but did arrive way late to the tacke. he could perfectly end up in the sin bin. nico sanchez, was well yellow carded for killing the game. but not a foul. For landajo again didint seem to kick on purpose either, it looked more like a clumpsy desperate move. the the reff was also right to sin bin him.
i dont undersand, our scrum it was reallly bad. herrera specially! greate game for creevy , good job for bonfelli! cordero and tuculet did good too.
to many mistakes that other team will punish in the future

what a game. incredible Jaguares came back from 21 points down after being with 2 players in the bin.
it was clear that the Jaguares felt the pressure of playing its very first game in such an important tournament. silly mistakes and indiscipline issues, with some bad luck, made a terrible combo in the fisrt 20 minutes of the game.
But the response of the team to all those adversities was great, and i think Jaguares was the deserved winner.

That last try from the Jags was great, but if I were the Cheetahs I'd be doing tackling practice all next week

I just watch the match. Good start for Jaguares, although there is still much room for improvement.

Now, the match highlights.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW that game !!! Few errors. . . few things to learn. . . But I think this team needs time to acentarse and get used to a game that is different than they are accustomed. Diran that the base is known, because they are mostly Pumas, but the problem seems to me passing by do not know the game. It is another world, another rhythm. . . I think when accustom will be able to be really competitive. . . always achieve controlled, many criminal, Lavanini would have to have looked for a while the party from outside and 12 black history was more even. . . One mistake the referee, luckily for Jaguares.

People are expecting this team to play like the Pumas last year, but that is impossible.

First, it's a different coaching staff. Second, this team is way more unexperienced... RWC 2015 Pumas was already a young team, now imagine that same team without Ayerza, Galarza, Lobbe, Figallo, Bosch, Imhoff... it's pretty much a bunch of kids with Creevy and Hernández (and 2, 3 more around 26 yo).

People are expecting this team to play like the Pumas last year, but that is impossible.

First, it's a different coaching staff. Second, this team is way more unexperienced... RWC 2015 Pumas was already a young team, now imagine that same team without Ayerza, Galarza, Lobbe, Figallo, Bosch, Imhoff... it's pretty much a bunch of kids with Creevy and Hernández (and 2, 3 more around 26 yo).

I don't think it's a completey unwarranted comparison. To call players like Herrera, Chaparro, Lavanini, Leguizamón, Matera, Senatore, Landajo, Sanchez, Amorosino and Tuculet a ''bunch of kids'' whilst each one of them has played over 20 games for their country and has played for an overseas club before hand is just ridiculous. Every team in the comp would kill for such experience in their squad. They are by no means a bunch of kids nor are they inexperienced.

That last try from the Jags was great, but if I were the Cheetahs I'd be doing tackling practice all next week

I made an almost identical comment about jaguares at one point during the first half, heh

The problem is not the age or experience of the players, 80% of the team has international experience and a high level of play, in games Test match or European competitions, but have no experience in Super rugby, where it is played at a different pace and with incredible intensity. . . I think we should wait to get used to this new rhythm and see what happens, I hope you give the size.

Latest posts