• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 Super Rugby] Chiefs vs. Highlanders (Round 11) 07/05/2016

Such good service out to Naholo there. Work them over with every member of the team then spread it wide and nobodys going to stop Naholo in that position.

I admire the unselfishness the Highlanders players displayed to get that try.

Highlanders looking confident now. Naholo showing how hard he is to stop when put in space. I think the angle favoured Naholo, but Lowe fell away from that tackle a little too easily.

These jumping tackle yellow and red cards are going to end in tears and im not talking about a major injury. Someone is going to milk this rule for all its worth by jumping into tackles willy nilly and I bet it starts at INT level in a major match...

These refs are on drugs they just about red carded Charlie there. The yellow is even crap. Its a penalty at worst.

Well, I don't think its even a penalty. Charlie Ngatai comes in for a copybook tackle, head low and beside the opponent's hip/thigh area, He times it perfectly, wrapping his arms as the kicked ball was played by Elliott Dixon. Suddenly, Dixon jumps at the last moment. How is Ngatai supposed to know that Dixon has jumped... ESP? I mean what the fuk was Ngatai supposed to do?

However, I don't think the referee in this case was at fault. He is hamstrung by a WR Referees group that has lost the plot. I blame Joel Jutge for this shambles, and the one with "protecting the man in the air at all costs". This is the kind of bullsh¡t decisions you get when the idiots running WR Referees insist on refereeing outcomes instead of causes. Sometimes, an accident is just an accident.

How quiet was sam can't? Only time I saw him was when he was talking to the ref

Haven't watched a whole game with Mackenzie playing, he's got some skill to say the least, wasn't Impressed when he jumped over the top of Webber to take that kick, he seems to be in the line a lot, is someone else back covering when he's up?

Pretty happy, scrum was great considering we were something like 30kg lighter, really need to work on our lines outs

And great to have naholo back!

Irrespective of that the Chiefs just turned over too much ball to the Highlanders, can't give that much possession away and hope to beat a team like the Highlanders.

The Highlanders defense looked resolute and they gave nothing away.

Hopefully Nahalo got through unscathed, showed us how valuable he is, so hard to stop so close, such an asset.

How quiet was sam can't? Only time I saw him was when he was talking to the ref

Haven't watched a whole game with Mackenzie playing, he's got some skill to say the least, wasn't Impressed when he jumped over the top of Webber to take that kick, he seems to be in the line a lot, is someone else back covering when he's up?

Pretty happy, scrum was great considering we were something like 30kg lighter, really need to work on our lines outs

And great to have naholo back!

Yeah, Ardie Savea is miles ahead of him now. Sam does have good leadership quality, but doesn't nearly have the physical stature to be our starting 7, some big calls coming up for Hansen.

No sign of that @bazwaz troll either.

Leinhart-Browns try, didn't realize he was that quick. I think we have some of the quickest most mobile front rowers in the world, some of them are quick as backs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, Ardie Savea is miles ahead of him now. Sam does have good leadership quality, but doesn't nearly have the physical stature to be our starting 7, some big calls coming up for Hansen.

Different players entirely. I've called for Savea to be an AB for a few years now but tbh we'll still see Cane starting. Savea will be a good impact player in the black jersey for the next few years say at least. Just the reality of international rugby unfortunately.

On the game - it when exactly how I expected. The Chiefs peaked too early and despite their cocky fanbase/ bandwagoners they've been put down to earth back to reality. Everyone has talked them up but tbh they've only actually played really well against teams that are sub-par or underperformed (Brumbies). Landers just doing what the Canes should have done (points wise). Not trying to take anything away from the Chiefs - they've done bloody well considering the injuries but I'd say and have always said that the back end of the season is when teams suffer when occurring injuries early on - stars may come back but the team's combos get messed with. Can't see them winning the ***le.

Different players entirely. I've called for Savea to be an AB for a few years now but tbh we'll still see Cane starting. Savea will be a good impact player in the black jersey for the next few years say at least. Just the reality of international rugby unfortunately.

On the game - it when exactly how I expected. The Chiefs peaked too early and despite their cocky fanbase/ bandwagoners they've been put down to earth back to reality. Everyone has talked them up but tbh they've only actually played really well against teams that are sub-par or underperformed (Brumbies). Landers just doing what the Canes should have done (points wise). Not trying to take anything away from the Chiefs - they've done bloody well considering the injuries but I'd say and have always said that the back end of the season is when teams suffer when occurring injuries early on - stars may come back but the team's combos get messed with. Can't see them winning the ***le.

No doubt they're different and yes Sam will more than definitely retain the starting 7 spot. He's been blooded and clearly favoured by Hansen and co. Ardie does seem to have the attributes of a super sub. Thank god he gave up that silly 7's crusade, it would've been nice if SBW had given us a run to the Lions tour as well considering how skint we are in the MF currently.

Sopoaga has made himself unpickable really, that Chiefs troll @bazwaz won't show his face around here again I think, after writing him off and saying he'll just go overseas. Ngatai-Fekitoa/Crotty MF looks pretty damn good. Naholo if he can stay fit really needs to be picked for the AB's, he's such a good finisher. Dixon deserves a shot in the Wales series, would like to see Dixon Cane Read and Kaino Savea Read, Squire has made a case for himself as well, looking forward to see how things shape up, what an exciting time, we have so much talent and depth.

Last edited by a moderator:
...Well played by the desperate Highlanders but just proves what I was saying about yr team being nothing without Naholo....Such a great player and not sure why he wants to live in the Sth Island among all the racists..

But an uncharacteristically sloppy game being the downfall of the Chiefs - but despite that we still dominated many of the stats..
..and to settle any arguments, without a shadow of a doubt Cruden scored the best try of the game reinforcing his place as #1 standoff in NZ rugby right in front of the selectors who were sitting in the stand in total awe...and we all know Barret is backup to Cruden so nothing has changed re Sopoaga's unfortunately for those deluded enough to think he is anything else...

NB blowhard Highlander fans...yr team were a hapless ten points behind the Mighty Chiefs prior to this game so we have the luxury of a massive points differentiation to let a few games slide...whereas without that win tonight the Highlanders would be all but finished ....and dopey back2back would've had to change his username to back2the drawing board...lol

You're so much of an idiot it's actually entertaining. I hope you enjoyed eating your own crap for dinner watching the game.

BTW the username is a reference to the All Blacks ya dumbass.

You're so much of an idiot it's actually entertaining. I hope you enjoyed eating your own crap for dinner watching the game.

BTW the username is a reference to the All Blacks ya dumbass.

I've definitely got an arrogant vibe from Chiefs fans/ bandwagoners this season, both in internet and real life form. Some are atrocious at matches. I wouldn't get caught up in bazwaz's nonsense.

Only caught the end of the game. Highlanders were the better team.
Good game tho.

.Such a great player and not sure why he wants to live in the Sth Island among all the racists..l

I live in the Chiefs catchment area so I know your type to well.:rolleyes:

And it just shows Wise has got brains unlike Chiefs supporters, the best forward packs are in the South Island why would a winger of his caliber want to play behind a bunch of homos that cant hold a scrum together to save their lives? (and im not just talking about the Chiefs).

Last edited:
...Well played by the desperate Highlanders but just proves what I was saying about yr team being nothing without Naholo....Such a great player and not sure why he wants to live in the Sth Island among all the racists..

But an uncharacteristically sloppy game being the downfall of the Chiefs - but despite that we still dominated many of the stats..
..and to settle any arguments, without a shadow of a doubt Cruden scored the best try of the game reinforcing his place as #1 standoff in NZ rugby right in front of the selectors who were sitting in the stand in total awe...and we all know Barret is backup to Cruden so nothing has changed re Sopoaga's unfortunately for those deluded enough to think he is anything else...

NB blowhard Highlander fans...yr team were a hapless ten points behind the Mighty Chiefs prior to this game so we have the luxury of a massive points differentiation to let a few games slide...whereas without that win tonight the Highlanders would be all but finished ....and dopey back2back would've had to change his username to back2the drawing board...lol

Your actually a real muppet and an embarrassment to Chiefs fans everywhere. Doesn't matter who scored the best try, what matters is who won and the Highlanders did, looking a lot better than the Chiefs did.

Lets wait until Hansen picks his team and then see what happens.

I live in the Chiefs catchment area so I know your type to well.:rolleyes:

And it just shows Wise has got brains unlike Chiefs supporters, the best forward packs are in the South Island why would a winger of his caliber want to play behind a bunch of homos that cant hold a scrum together to save their lives? (and im not just talking about the Chiefs).

This scrum held it's own last night pretty damn good, the Hurricanes have the best scrum in the comp from the teams that the Chiefs have played, they did the most damage to us.

I am also not convinced that Savea is ready for international level, doesn't look fit enough, compared to Todd and Cane.

Your actually a real muppet and an embarrassment to Chiefs fans everywhere. Doesn't matter who scored the best try, what matters is who won and the Highlanders did, looking a lot better than the Chiefs did.

Lets wait until Hansen picks his team and then see what happens.

This scrum held it's own last night pretty damn good, the Hurricanes have the best scrum in the comp from the teams that the Chiefs have played, they did the most damage to us.

I am also not convinced that Savea is ready for international level, doesn't look fit enough, compared to Todd and Cane.

The Chiefs scrum was clearly going backwards on their own ball and in general they get that ball out of there of there pretty damn quick. They have certainly improved though im not sure that was the HL best scrum unit (Im pretty sure our most damaging prop was on the bench for most of this one). And the Canes are pretty poor. Without Coles that pack are totally clueless. Your going to be in for one hell of a shock if you think the Canes are decent when you lot play the Saders again (easily best scrum in comp).

Totally agree about Savea over Todd and Cane (Savea is an impact player nothing more). Todd imo is still and always was the best 7 in NZ behind Richie and by quite a margin. Cane has had like one or two stand out years early on and since then he's literally done nothing.

Last edited:
Your going to be in for one hell of a shock if you think the Canes are decent when you lot play the Saders again (easily best scrum in comp).

That may be the case, however from the teams we have played the Canes scrum was the best, when we play the Crusaders again we can look at them then.

That's an allegation you had better be able to back up with evidence matey. If not then shut the fuk up!!

went to the game, it was pretty somber really I think most people myself included expected the highlanders to win. Charlie Ngatai returning was a ray of hope but the real worry was the forwards/scrum. chiefs are way down on their list for front rowers.

Ngatai was chiefs best player and his yellow card had a big impact. Technically he did nothing wrong and replays should allow refs to be able to see that and make the right decision. But when a player flips like they the refs feel like they have to card someone? Ridiculous really, 30 guys run around a field at full steam for 80 min odd things will happen at times and not be deliberate. The biggest contributing factor was Dixon jumping before the tackle, its actually his fault. But he basically landed on his backside so no harm done. Play on.

Highlanders had the Superior technique at the breakdown and their defense was EVERYWHERE, put my ***** at the ref hat on for a minute. Highlanders looked offside basically the whole game yet only got called for it a a couple of times towards the end when the game was out of reach. It really did stunt the Chiefs attack which had no room even though they seemed to operate with a lot of depth. This was a ref that suited the highlanders in a big way. Chiefs probably should have adjusted tactics better, this wasn't Crudens best moment.

chiefs easily seemed to make more breaks and slip more tackles but passes constantly went to ground when they got the upper hand.

Highlanders attack wasn't very exciting or interesting but they basically presented naholo with space a close to the line a few times and he will always score in that situation. Aaron smith had a good game even the chiefs crowd gave him a good sendoff.

Hardly the end of the line for the chiefs, its not like losing to the lions was, nor was in the end for the Highlanders when they lost to the Reds. Bye now then the rebels at home and after that they need to get back up to speed. This was the wrong night against the wrong team(highlanders are better right now) with the wrong ref. The Chiefs need to get through this tricky mid season period then find form again before the finals. All the injuries will probably mean topping the table isn't on anymore. They need to focus on getting into the finals and finding form then.

Anyone else go to the game? Is it just me or is the PA system ridiculously loud? I'll have to take some ear plugs next time.

- - - Updated - - -

1, Racists? Billcrap... I think the hardest thing for islanders down south is the cold :D

2, Scored by Cruden but that try was Charlie Ngatai's. Charlie is looking superb this season, easily NZ's best midfielder. This wasn't a great game for Cruden. Sopoaga definitely got one over him here.

Latest posts