• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 Super Rugby] Chiefs vs. Highlanders (Round 11) 07/05/2016

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/opinio...ld-have-been-carded-along-with-charlie-ngatai

i avoided talking about the tackle basically because i didn't see the point...and am a little confused about the rules now

but this is kind of where i was afraid of, i really hope this is tongue in cheek but i'm afraid its not...card someone for jumping for the ball? really? people now saying dixon wasn't going for the ball? its obvious he is, then looks down to see charlie coming though, the ball goes pretty much through his hands and hits him on the shoulder.

my personal view, forgetting percent as i think thats actually complicating things, is a penalty would have been enough, charlie does give up on actually getting the ball and shapes for the tackle, therefore i understand he is taking the responsibility for dixon not crossing the horizontal. things do get out of his control though hence why is shouldn't have been a card. he did have the choice not to duck into the tackle though in which case i imagine they would have just run into each other and been a big mess on the floor as the ball bounced away

also, pryor had a better shout for being sent off when he cut who ever it was off, i don't believe a players "line" is allowed to be across the pitch away from the ball...but i could be wrong

Last edited:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/opinio...ld-have-been-carded-along-with-charlie-ngatai

also, pryor had a better shout for being sent off when he cut who ever it was off, i don't believe a players "line" is allowed to be across the pitch away from the ball...but i could be wrong

Blatant move across the line to block Webber I believe it was, that should have been a yellow.

Also interesting that the ref had no interest in looking at the incident where McKenzie went down after the in air contest for the ball, kinda happened fast and didn't get a good chance to see it, but the ref did not appear interested, surely if you had carded a player for that you would at least look.

I thought that Mackenzie incident was pretty fair 2 players going for the ball but I might be thinking of something else

I thought that Mackenzie incident was pretty fair 2 players going for the ball but I might be thinking of something else

It could possibly be, but McKenzie was slow to get up and the ref had no interest in reviewing, which given he had just carded a player for the same thing earlier you thought he would have looked.

Ngatai yellow card.
Players in every grade are told to "Go hard". At Super level they go very hard at the ball. That's a prime reason they get selected at this level. What you are now asking these players to do, in a split second, is pull themselves up and assess if it's likely to be a dangerous situation for the player they want to compete with.
It's a ludicrous scenario.

This might not be the best example for your argument as you can pretty clearly imho see Charlie change f rom going for the ball to going for the tackle...so decisions can be made and I don't think it unreasonable to expect people to consider other safety

Its getting to a point where the kick chase is a poor idea because we've seen so many cards and it really does impact the game. I'm pretty sure the Highlanders and Stormers would've won their home matches against the Sharks and Waratahs respectively were they not red carded. It seems a better option to just kick deep and not even think of a shorter ball and challenging.

Its getting to a point where the kick chase is a poor idea because we've seen so many cards and it really does impact the game. I'm pretty sure the Highlanders and Stormers would've won their home matches against the Sharks and Waratahs respectively were they not red carded. It seems a better option to just kick deep and not even think of a shorter ball and challenging.

I am afraid you are correct and it seems we are on a downward slope to non contact rugby!! It may take years but, to me, it feels like the game is under pressure from the elf and safety lobby with no discernible defenders.

Yes, dangerous play should be punished and removed from the game but common sense should prevail.

Funny really.....in football a link is being established between heading a ball and incidents such as Alzheimer's. However, has anyone heard of a campaign to stop children heading the ball? Is it because there is much more money in that game or is it that rugby is still seen as elitist?!

This might not be the best example for your argument as you can pretty clearly imho see Charlie change f rom going for the ball to going for the tackle...so decisions can be made and I don't think it unreasonable to expect people to consider other safety

Ngatai braced for the tackle prior to Dixon jumping in the air. I believe Ngatai felt Dixon had beaten him to the ball and it was his job to then tackle Dixon.
Like the TMO who wanted a Red Card, you are judging the tackle on the super slow motion replay. This is not reality.

Ngatai braced for the tackle prior to Dixon jumping in the air. I believe Ngatai felt Dixon had beaten him to the ball and it was his job to then tackle Dixon.
Like the TMO who wanted a Red Card, you are judging the tackle on the super slow motion replay. This is not reality.

exactly, he decided to go for the tackle, i'm agreeing with you

Latest posts