South Africa
Super%20Rugby.png

Highlanders.png
Versus%20Super.png
Hurricanes.png

Venue: Forsyth Barr Stadium
Time: 08:35 CAT (SA, GMT+2
)

Well this Hurricanes team is clearly lacking leadership, but Dane Coles is back, so that can only improve on last weeks embarrassing result. Still expecting the Highlanders to bounce back from their unfortunate loss to the Blues however, so got them pegged with the home advantage. If this is another hiding for the Hurricanes it could turn into a very long season for them, especially losing Ardie to 7's.

Highlanders 38 - 24.

Last edited:
Expect the Canes to bounce back and restore some credibility but Landers to seal it in the 2nd half

Bad news for the Highlanders, they will be without backline duo Waisake Naholo (fractured leg) and Fumiaki Tanaka (torn calf) for at least the next 6-8 weeks...

Well, this could be extremely damaging for the Highlanders chances of play-offs. No Buckman and now no Naholo, two crucial players.

Tongia is a good player and scored some nice tries last year, but he's not Naholo.

We could actually see Faddes being played on the wing as well.

Anyhow, bad news for Waisakes AB hopes as well, and career hopes, he's clearly got some bone density issues.

I expect Matt Faddes to start on the wing. Best to ease Ryan Tongia into things instead of starting him straight. I won free tickets to this game thanks to a little competition with 'The Landers Army'

I expect Matt Faddes to start on the wing. Best to ease Ryan Tongia into things instead of starting him straight. I won free tickets to this game thanks to a little competition with 'The Landers Army'

Was that the "name 3 mates you would take below in the comments" on facebook one?

Togias played more super games than faddes...think I'd rather let faddes concentrate on fullback as I don't want to see Marty back there

Togias played more super games than faddes...think I'd rather let faddes concentrate on fullback as I don't want to see Marty back there

I also think Dixon should be playing at 8 and Dan starting at blindside.

Squire is a good squad player, but he's not a starter.

I also think Dixon should be playing at 8 and Dan starting at blindside.

Squire is a good squad player, but he's not a starter.

Disagree with that - I'd prefer him over any of the other Highlanders loose forwards.

Disagree with that - I'd prefer him over any of the other Highlanders loose forwards.

Well the Highlanders seemed to manage just fine without him last season and he didn't make a big impression at the Chiefs. Granted he put in some good ITM cup performances and he's a rising star, should be using him as an impact player until he's proven his worth, which he has not yet.

Just interested to know why he should start over last years competition winning forwards?

I know Manu left, but the Highlanders actually played just as well, if not better when he was injured last season. Should just keep it as it was last year, until Squire breaks himself into the squad or proves himself down South. Don't think too many Highlanders fans would disagree.

Just interested to know why he should start over last years competition winning forwards?

I know Manu left, but the Highlanders actually played just as well, if not better when he was injured last season. Should just keep it as it was last year, until Squire breaks himself into the squad or proves himself down South. Don't think too many Highlanders fans would disagree.

Because Squire is a better player with a higher skill cap. It doesn't mean the others aren't good players, they just aren't as good.

Not taking away anything from the Highlanders - they did extremely well - but man-for-man I think there were better forward packs in the competition last year. We saw Hardie leave to Scotland, and while I actually think Dan Pryor is actually a more dynamic player, he wasn't the usual starting 7. Manu was out for at least half of the season and is now also in Scotland. So it's not as if we are going to see the same loose-forwards makeup as last year to begin with.

Liam Squire would have undoubtedly featured for the Chiefs more last season if it weren't for injury. He has a very nice varied game, he can run well, makes his tackles, jackles and has a very good lineout game. He's also only 24 and I think he has a fair amount of potential (he was in the ABs wider training squad not long ago). I'm not saying there is much in it, as Dixon was probably my pick for Highlanders forward of the year last year - and Christie is captain - but I simply feel that Squire has the biggest upside (as Mr Fish mentions).

Not taking away anything from the Highlanders - they did extremely well - but man-for-man I think there were better forward packs in the competition last year. We saw Hardie leave to Scotland, and while I actually think Dan Pryor is actually a more dynamic player, he wasn't the usual starting 7. Manu was out for at least half of the season and is now also in Scotland. So it's not as if we are going to see the same loose-forwards makeup as last year to begin with.

Liam Squire would have undoubtedly featured for the Chiefs more last season if it weren't for injury. He has a very nice varied game, he can run well, makes his tackles, jackles and has a very good lineout game. He's also only 24 and I think he has a fair amount of potential (he was in the ABs wider training squad not long ago). I'm not saying there is much in it, as Dixon was probably my pick for Highlanders forward of the year last year - and Christie is captain - but I simply feel that Squire has the biggest upside (as Mr Fish mentions).

Can't argue with that.

I guess I'm just superstitious towards disrupting chemistry.

In that case I'm really hoping he comes through as a big player this season, it'll be great to see strong competition for a black jersey.

I was pretty happy with squire whilst he was on the field against the blues so if he's fit he gets a fair crack at the 8 jersey

Dixon to start at 6 with Evans on the bench for me

Highlanders

1. Brendon Edmonds , 2. Liam Coltman , 3. Josh Hohneck , 4. Tom Franklin , 5. Joe Wheeler , 6. Elliot Dixon , 7. Shane Christie ( cc) , 8. Luke Whitelock , 9. Aaron Smith , 10. Lima Sopoaga , 11. Patrick Osborne , 12. Teihorangi Walden , 13. Malakai Fekitoa , 14. Matt Faddes , 15. Ben Smith ( cc )

Replacements : 16. Ash Dixon , 17. Daniel Lienert-Brown , 18. Siosiua Halanukonuka , 19. Liam Squire , 20. Dan Pryor , 21. Josh Renton , 22. Hayden Parker , 23. Jason Emery

Whitelock starting this week with Squire on the bench, should be interesting. Faddes on the wing and Tongia and Evans don't make the side. Tell you what, Pryor and Squire are hell of a good pair to bring on.

Is Jackson the best Ref in NZ?????

The Canes need to go on a trip to Argentina and pick up a couple of props coz these imposters posing as props arent up to it.

Seriously Jackson?? Seriously?

Well, Jackson did his best to wreck another HL game but failed.... I couldnt believe the Fekitoa "no try" I saw it scored turned away for 5 minutes while the refs did their thing and came back and realised it wasnt awarded???? WTF!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts