• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 Super Rugby] Highlanders vs. Hurricanes (Round 2) 05/03/2016

Jackson is a crap referee but that no try call was the TMO's fault. Even Jackson sounded bemused when the TMO said that he couldn't see it being grounded. Don't know why Jackson didn't overrule it though (correct me if I am wrong but I think the on field referee can overrule TMO decisions right?).

Jackson is a crap referee but that no try call was the TMO's fault. Even Jackson sounded bemused when the TMO said that he couldn't see it being grounded. Don't know why Jackson didn't overrule it though (correct me if I am wrong but I think the on field referee can overrule TMO decisions right?).

No, because Jackson being the cuck that he is put all control of the decision in the TMO's hands which he never should of done (the TMO should never of messed it up either but the man on the moon could've seen that was a try all day FFS).

Its all in the wording when the ref goes to TMO if he uses the right wording which Jackson didnt he still gets final say but the way he worded to the TMO was totally wrong on that one.

Last edited:
Seriously Jackson?? Seriously?

Well, Jackson did his best to wreck another HL game but failed.... I couldnt believe the Fekitoa "no try" I saw it scored turned away for 5 minutes while the refs did their thing and came back and realised it wasnt awarded???? WTF!!!

I thought it was 50/50. In the case where the base of the post is involved and the ball is short of the goal-line, the ball has to be in contact with the base of the padding AND the ground... just touching the padding is not a try. It was the TMO's call to disallow the try. Jackson could not have seen the ball grounded; if he had, he would have asked "Any reason I can't award the try?"

The case where there is doubt about grounding is covered by the Law...

[TEXTAREA]LAW 22.15 DOUBT ABOUT GROUNDING
If there is doubt about which team first grounded the ball in the in-goal, play is re-started by
a 5-metre scrum, in line with the place where the ball was grounded. The attacking team
throws in the ball.[/TEXTAREA]

...a try cannot be awarded

The next disallowed try a few seconds later was the correct call. The assist pass was clearly and obviously forwards

The final disallowed try from the scrum after the forward pass was a fair call too. Jackson has already called a collapsed scrum before Aaron Smith picks up the ball and runs across the line.

Then Jackson awards what I think was a dubious penalty (which turned out to be the match winner) against Gold 12 (Marshal?) for "no clear release" but he actually released him.

Then finally he awards a knock on against the Canes that was actually knocked backwards

I don't think you are being fair on Jackson. The only mistakes I saw from him in the last few minutes benefited the Highlanders, including the matchwinning penalty.

I thought it was 50/50. In the case where the base of the post is involved and the ball is short of the goal-line, the ball has to be in contact with the base of the padding AND the ground... just touching the padding is not a try. It was the TMO's call to disallow the try. Jackson could not have seen the ball grounded; if he had, he would have asked "Any reason I can't award the try?"

The case where there is doubt about grounding is covered by the Law...

[TEXTAREA]LAW 22.15 DOUBT ABOUT GROUNDING
If there is doubt about which team first grounded the ball in the in-goal, play is re-started by
a 5-metre scrum, in line with the place where the ball was grounded. The attacking team
throws in the ball.[/TEXTAREA]

...a try cannot be awarded

The next disallowed try a few seconds later was the correct call. The assist pass was clearly and obviously forwards

The final disallowed try from the scrum after the forward pass was a fair call too. Jackson has already called a collapsed scrum before Aaron Smith picks up the ball and runs across the line.

Then Jackson awards what I think was a dubious penalty (which turned out to be the match winner) against Gold 12 (Marshal?) for "no clear release" but he actually released him.

Then finally he awards a knock on against the Canes that was actually knocked backwards

I don't think you are being fair on Jackson. The only mistakes I saw from him in the last few minutes benefited the Highlanders, including the matchwinning penalty.

It was touching the post and the ground. I just dont see where the doubt about it being grounded and touching the post was?

And on Jackson in general I thought his breakdown control was ridiculous. There was a time in the first half where the HL had them on the ropes and fekitoa went super close to scoring a Canes player pilfered the ball clearly bridging when he did it. I thought alot of that sort of breakdown stuff went on this game maybe both ways but that particular one was very noticeable.

On the smith forward pass before the try was scored!!! Should that not of been a penalty for the Canes scrum getting totally destroyed?? Not sure maybe they needed to keep the ball in the scrum to get that id have to watch it again? But id of thought the Hurricanes clearly infringed before smith got done for the forward pass?

In the end that one didnt matter so much as they scored anyway.

Last edited:
It was touching the post and the ground. I just dont see where the doubt about it being grounded and touching the post was?

Well, I didn't see any frame that showed the ball touching the ground and the post with (identifiably) Fekitoa's hand on it at the same time.

In any case I think we should do away with this two question BS in the TMO protocol, and just take a leaf out of the NRL Video Ref rules

1. The referee says either "try" or "no try"
2. If the TMO cannot see clear evidence to overturn the referee's decision, then that decision stands
3. Any benefit of the doubt goes to the attacking team.

And on Jackson in general I thought his breakdown control was ridiculous. There was a time in the first half where the HL had them on the ropes and fekitoa went super close to scoring a Canes player pilfered the ball clearly bridging when he did it. I thought alot of that sort of breakdown stuff went on this game maybe both ways but that particular one was very noticeable.

I agree

On the smith forward pass before the try was scored!!! Should that not of been a penalty for the Canes scrum getting totally destroyed?? Not sure maybe they needed to keep the ball in the scrum to get that id have to watch it again? But id of thought the Hurricanes clearly infringed before smith got done for the forward pass?

They were munting the Canes scrum. I can't see why they didn't just keep marching them backwards.... it was likely to result in a try or a penalty try.,
In the end that one didnt matter so much as they scored anyway.[/QUOTE]

Is it just me or has Fekitoa gotten even faster stronger, creative and better at tackling? What a storming game he had, he looked explosive and was unlucky not to have the double. This is some great news for the All Blacks, but the question is, who will his partner be? Crotty, Moala, Ngatai... I felt the Hurricanes looked a lot better this weekend also, which is encouraging for them, they have some raw talent, still lacking a midfield though, Ngani Laumape and Aso have far too big of shoes to fill, I'd probably be starting Halaholo as well.

The Highlanders vs the Lions should be a cracker, hard to say how this one will good, I think the Lions forwards will be too strong and the Lions have good backs as well, Crombrink and Mapoe are very dangerous.

I think his attacking is only getting better but his defence has dropped off a bit, against the blues he was flying out ( which he use to do ) but missing the tackle, if he's going to do it he needs to nail that tackle

I think his attacking is only getting better but his defence has dropped off a bit, against the blues he was flying out ( which he use to do ) but missing the tackle, if he's going to do it he needs to nail that tackle

If he keeps trying and practicing he's likely to perfect it, he's a young man with a big future ahead of him and that could develop into a real weapon.

If he keeps trying and practicing he's likely to perfect it, he's a young man with a big future ahead of him and that could develop into a real weapon.

I saw him go to do that at one stage of the match and then backed out of it quick smart when the ball didnt go where he thought it was. The thing is as much as he can do it other coaches will probably start to anticipate him doing exactly that as he does it ALOT.

He came close to scoring about 3 times on the weekend.

And Aaron Smiths passing was something else in this particular game. Dont think iv seen better consistently hitting guys cutting back at really weird angles and timing them perfectly. Fekitoa and him were amazing at it.

- - - Updated - - -

I think they'll beat the lions by more than 7. I dont think people realise how terrible that Chiefs forward pack is them and the Canes are probably gunna struggle to beat the Blues.

I really find it hard to believe there isnt better props than the likes of Jeff toomaga allen available for wellington.... he's ****house. The Chiefs im not surprised are crap as they were showing signs of being very wobbly last year.

Latest posts