Club or Nation
South Africa
Super%20Rugby.png

Hurricanes.png
Versus%20Super.png
Lions.png

Venue: Westpac Stadium, Wellington
Time: 09:35 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

I dont think the Lions will dominate the set piece. I KNOW they will. If Coles is out that will be a huge blow to the Canes even though his replacement was pretty good on the weekend.

The thing is I wonder if the Lions setpiece will be nullified by Barrett and a few other canes being in career best form. If its windy and Barrett owns the kicking battle could be interesting.

Just cant see the Lions winning, the Canes are really primed for this and i get the impressin the Lions played their final last week. Im picking the fullback for the lions to make a early blunder for the Canes to score from.

Got my tickets!!!

Lions started to look tired at the end of the semi against the Landers, add the travel and the Canes have no excuse to not win this one.

I'd have the Lions favourites by 10-14 if they were at home. Away I put them as 3-7 dogs in perfect conditions and 14+ underdogs if the weather is bad. As much as I admire what Ackerman has achieved with the Lions when you look at other SA and expansion teams, his decision against the Jaguares remains an absolute howler and will cost them the championship. He has thrown away arguably the biggest home advantage in the sport.

Should still be very entertaining.

The weather is meant to be ****e! I wonder if that will help the canes?
Looking forward to an awesome game. Hopefully this time's the charm! The Lions will be great opponents, love their running rugby.

Whoever wins at the end of the day - as much as we all can criticize the conference system - the organizers (SANZAAR) are definitely smarting for another maiden winner, the 5th in the last 5 years.

The Hurricanes have always been the bridesmaid, therefore they could be again.
Barrett will be key
Conditions will be a factor
The Ref will be a factor

Would have to give the Hurricanes the slight favourites tag for playing at home and peaking at the right time and if Coles is back then it is another bonus.

I haven't watched much of the Lions so can't really say I know alot, or even how much they have traveled in the last 6 weeks.

Either way it will be a great game.

who is the ref? the same aussie from the canes/chiefs game? he played into the canes hands, seemed to have stage fright in a final game and wasn't keen on getting the cards out when needed.

Different week and a different team but What that will do is even the game up, if one side is dominant the other side can give away penalties to save conceding trys. Both teams will be well advised to kick for goal every chance they get.

that said, canes to win. Barrett is key again.

- - - Updated - - -

missing coles will be a shame but that kid who replaced him was amazing. arguably one of the canes better players. He got absolutely stuck in threw himself into everything, big unit too. Lineout throwing didn't seem too much of a concern.

As long as he didn't empty the tank too much against the chiefs I honestly dont think the canes will miss coles too much

who is the ref? the same aussie from the canes/chiefs game? he played into the canes hands, seemed to have stage fright in a final game and wasn't keen on getting the cards out when needed.

Different week and a different team but What that will do is even the game up, if one side is dominant the other side can give away penalties to save conceding trys. Both teams will be well advised to kick for goal every chance they get.

that said, canes to win. Barrett is key again.

- - - Updated - - -

missing coles will be a shame but that kid who replaced him was amazing. arguably one of the canes better players. He got absolutely stuck in threw himself into everything, big unit too. Lineout throwing didn't seem too much of a concern.

As long as he didn't empty the tank too much against the chiefs I honestly dont think the canes will miss coles too much

Glen Jackson has been appointed the referee for the final.

I have no problem whatsoever with him. And one area where he's better than most referees are at the scrums. With the weather seemingly bad, the Lions superior scrum, I can see this match turn out into a scrum fest...

i will be honest, i am a tad nervous for this game (any supporter would be) but it seems 80% of people have made up their mind, 'Canes to win? i wouldnt be so sure as yet, the Lions have BMT, and they are hungry for success! Canes are a brilliant team, but at home, again in a final must surely put them under pressure to perform?

so i am syaing Lions by 3-5....

Can't wait for the game. I see Barret as the difference between the two teams. Not his play making, his speed. Wow that guy can run. Anyways, good luck to both teams, hope the game is injury free, we need all those guys available for the RC.

I thought the **** weather would help the Sharks and look how that turned out.

This stuff about the Lions' set piece is crap. Bad weather and wind suits the Canes, not the expansive Lions.

Also why's everyone ranting on about the referee constantly on these forums, Jackson's a top ref and will call it how he sees it on the day. Hurricanes 22-13 Lions sadly :(

This game actually does serve as a mini dress rehearsal for the RC. I expect many of the players from these two sides to make it into their test squads. Even if the likes of Marx, Mostert, Redelinghuys and possibly Rohan Janse van Rensburg will be playing off the bench (if at all) I expect Faf, Jantjies, Mapoe, Kriel, Combrinck and (if fit) Whiteley to be close enough to being Bok starters. That's a big chunk of the Bok team so its critical if SA are to have a hope of competing with the ABs that the Lions do well here, probably they have to beat the Hurricanes if the Bok team are expected to be able to seriously fo the RC ***le.

Okay guys

Firstly, my apologies for deleting so many posts.

Secondly, Pollock and Bo Jandals were banned as they are duplicate profiles of already banned members, which is against forum rules.

Lastly, I deleted all post not related to the topic of the final, which included posts in regard to the upcoming Rugby Championship.

Please stay on topic, and all will be good.

Last edited:
Okay guys

Firstly, my apologies for deleting to many posts.

Secondly, Pollock and Bo Jandals were banned as they are duplicate profiles of already banned members, which is against forum rules.

Lastly, I deleted all post not related to the topic of the final, which included posts in regard to the upcoming Rugby Championship.

Please stay on topic, and all will be good.

+100!

Latest posts