• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 Super Rugby] Hurricanes vs. Lions (The Final) 06/08/2016

Some Lions players have lacked the skill set to adjust to these conditions, but Jantjies looks like he's just lacked heart, getting outdived for that try by Barrett sums it up

There isn't a single Lion who was passing crisply or accurately with the wet ball. It's only these last ten mins it seems to have dried up a little that they are looking anything like their old selves. Hurricanes able to play well in all conditions and that's why they are the best this year. Congratulations to them!

Congrats Hurricanes! The best team of the season
Well played! A deserved win

There isn't a single Lion who was passing crisply or accurately with the wet ball. It's only these last ten mins it seems to have dried up a little that they are looking anything like their old selves. Hurricanes able to play well in all conditions and that's why they are the best this year. Congratulations to them!

But the thing is they havn't played the rugby. I'd like to see a # of passes stat for this final. They didn't play the rugby against the Chiefs as well and I thught Ackermann was savvy enough to cotton on. Think Ackermann misstepped ITO tactics used here if I'm being honest. Not to take anything away from the Hurricanes. Thought home advantge added a lot but that was always going to be the case and the reason the Lions threw away their major chance in buenos Aires is so regretable.

Congrats Hurricanes! Well deserved champs!

Also congrats to the Lions, I think they can be super proud of themselves, making the final itself. I hope they don't lose heart, if they stick together they could become quite the force.

We have a problem though, as someone as mentioned, Elton does not have BMT. We've seen this before and it's a bit worrying... Eish.

I thought Brad Shields did mightly well in this game didnt think he was as noticeable as say savea but his defence in tight really put a stop to the Lions getting the momentum they are used to.

- - - Updated - - -

But the thing is they havn't played the rugby. I'd like to see a # of passes stat for this final. They didn't play the rugby against the Chiefs as well and I thught Ackermann was savvy enough to cotton on. Think Ackermann misstepped ITO tactics used here if I'm being honest. Not to take anything away from the Hurricanes. Thought home advantge added a lot but that was always going to be the case and the reason the Lions threw away their major chance in buenos Aires is so regretable.

I agree with you the lions could of won this game with the correct tactics and mindset. There were long periods where this game was in the balance. You could see they were just doing the wrong thing at the wrong time and put themselves under pressure which compounded into mistakes. This is a very solid team and I dont think this score is that reflective of their capabilities.

I thought Brad Shields did mightly well in this game didnt think he was as noticeable as say savea but his defence in tight really put a stop to the Lions getting the momentum they are used to.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree with you the lions could of won this game with the correct tactics and mindset. There were long periods where this game was in the balance. You could see they were just doing the wrong thing at the wrong time and put themselves under pressure which compounded into mistakes. This is a very solid team and I dont think this score is that reflective of their capabilities.

Yeah agreed.

But bloody hell though, that Savea is a beast. Excuse my ignorance, but is Barrett the current first choice FH for the All Blacks? Or is it still tight between him and Cruden/you should really watch more rugby?

EDIT:

How much of a hangover do you guys reckon nickdnz is going to have tomorrow? R50 says he is going to say "I'm never drinking ever again but f### yeah 'canes"

Last edited:
Best team of the last 6/7 weeks, best defence, but not the best team in Super Rugby this year.
I think whichever team got the 1 seed automatically became a big favourite for Super Rugby. Getting to play the Sharks (the worst franchise to make a post-season I can remember), and then have home-field for the semi and final. Particularly in these awful conditions.

Congrats Hurricanes! Well deserved champs!

Also congrats to the Lions, I think they can be super proud of themselves, making the final itself. I hope they don't lose heart, if they stick together they could become quite the force.

We have a problem though, as someone as mentioned, Elton does not have BMT. We've seen this before and it's a bit worrying... Eish.

Barrett absolutely crapped himself last finals, and didn't do much to redeem himself with his personal performance tonight. You've got to remember that Jantjies has literally been nowhere, and all of a sudden... Springbok, starting, finals rugby. That's a lot of pressure and playing for a guy for one season... He'll be ok.

Best team of the last 6/7 weeks, best defence, but not the best team in Super Rugby this year.
I think whichever team got the 1 seed automatically became a big favourite for Super Rugby. Getting to play the Sharks (the worst franchise to make a post-season I can remember), and then have home-field for the semi and final. Particularly in these awful conditions.

Oh? Which team was? I assumed we got the home final by finishing top of the table in the most difficult conference.

- - - Updated - - -

Barrett absolutely crapped himself last finals, and didn't do much to redeem himself with his personal performance tonight. You've got to remember that Jantjies has literally been nowhere, and all of a sudden... Springbok, starting, finals rugby. That's a lot of pressure and playing for a guy for one season... He'll be ok.

What game were you watching? Barrett was probably the player of the match..

Congratz Hurricanes. Been brilliant in the knockout games, well deserved.

Oh? Which team was? I assumed we got the home final by finishing top of the table in the most difficult conference.
What game were you watching? Barrett was probably the player of the match..

landers were beaten by travel not by the competition.:p

Yeah agreed.

But bloody hell though, that Savea is a beast. Excuse my ignorance, but is Barrett the current first choice FH for the All Blacks? Or is it still tight between him and Cruden/you should really watch more rugby?

EDIT:

How much of a hangover do you guys reckon nickdnz is going to have tomorrow? R50 says he is going to say "I'm never drinking ever again but f### yeah 'canes"

Hansen likes the um... the ability to have a player such as Barrett who can play numerous positions. Fullback, second-five, fly-half, whatever. But I don't think Hansen will take him for first choice. Do I think he should be first choice? He played a lot better vs the Welsh than Cruden did. The All Blacks felt like the All Blacks when Barrett played at 10. With Cruden those games they looked stagnant, slow, and just average. I would have to see Barrett play South Africa, he really does bring a lot to the table.

The Chiefs and Highlanders were the best two teams in Super Rugby this year no question. Although the Hurricanes have been phenomenal in the last 6/7 weeks

I think this Loni Uhila guy is like 1 year to late. He needed to be playing like this last year or even from the start of super rugby this year and he might of been a surprise selection. He looks bloody good to me. I felt he was the rock in that forward pack that stopped the Lions getting scrum dominance which was huge in the context of the game.

Latest posts