• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2016 Super Rugby] New Zealand Transfers

The Chiefs look like they'll be the strongest team next season, even with the loss of a few players. The Crusaders only really have a weakness at first five while the Hurricanes will need to make sure they can get a strong midfield pairing. The Blues will be rebuilding (again) and the Highlanders should be much the same as this year.

A team of the below would still be amongst the best in the competition - it will just depend on injuries.

1 Graham/Manu
2 Elliot
3 Laulala
4 Bird
5 Retallick
6 Leitch (Messam mainly)
7 Cane
8 Squire
9 Kerr-Barlow
10 Cruden
11 Lowe
12 Ngatai
13 Tamanivalu
14 Nanai-Williams
15 Horrell

16 Harris
17 Manu/Graham
18 Tokolahi
19 Allardice
20 Bardoul
21 Weber/Pulu
22 McKenzie
23 Lienert-Brown

Good team, but inconsistencies through the backline will kill them. Also their penalty count. I'd drop Horrell and have Damo at FB as well, even Tim is better.

Almost certainly not. It is widely expected he will retire.

I agree. He's better than what most people give him credit for. The Franks' Bro's are good but as a prop Woodcock can tire down an opposing front row including the Boks and England with fitness at his disposal and his off ball play is second to none.

He's not a red card magnet either compared to some props

Last edited:
Looks like lock Culum Retallick is of to the Melbourne Rebels

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...leaves-new-zealand-rugby-for-melbourne-rebels

He's not in the reckoning for the All Blacks, and it could be a good move away from the under performing Blues

Adam Thomson is now playing for the Rebels as well.

Shame for Retallick, was a very solid squad member for the Blues. Leaves them a bit light in second row - I certainly don't want to see Tayden Triggs in a SR side...

I was hoping we would look at Thompson since Manu is leaving. Would have been good depth, he can cover blindside and 8. Would have been valuable experience having a club legend back. Agree about Triggs, he simply isn't good enough and getting a little old.

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11486922

"True to his word and the goals set by the board, new Blues coach Tana Umaga is going to find the remainder of next season's squad in the ITM Cup.

The Blues had 20 players under contract - the lowest of any of the five franchises - when Umaga was last month unveiled as next season's head coach.

With virtually every seasoned Super Rugby professional already locked in for 2016, the Blues can't go shopping for big names. There is no established star floating free so it's emerging talent in the greater Auckland region that is going to be Umaga's focus for the next few months. "

When you review this quote, and the article in general, and look at the list of the Blues players going out it makes for very grim reading. Essentially the plan is another 3-4 year rebuild ...

Now in the long run I have no problems at all with this policy, a lot of people have pointed out some of the local talent the Blues have let slip away to leave space for imports or journeymen, but in the short term is definitely going to lead to some less than stellar performances, unless we can find some more Tuipolotu's, Akira Ioane's or Blake Gibson's in the ITM cup this year...

I know this is a general discussion concerning New Zealand Transfers for the 2015 season.. But can anyone tell me about Fancis Saili? A brief description on playing style or recent form, as there's really only the tribute on Youtube go by, which focuses on the 2013 season..

I know this is a general discussion concerning New Zealand Transfers for the 2015 season.. But can anyone tell me about Fancis Saili? A brief description on playing style or recent form, as there's really only the tribute on Youtube go by, which focuses on the 2013 season..

On his day an excellent player.

But can be quite hot and cold.

Also can be found out of place defensively a fair amount of time.

This season been fairly mixed IMO but then the whole blues team has been poor this season (bar the odd few).

Can be a very good player. I thought he would take over from Nonu eventually at one stage. Has a very good passing game and regularly breaks the line. But he also can go missing in games.

Cheers for the feedback guys, hopefully Munster can drill in a more defensive and rounded game.. Because we need someone who can truck up the midfield that passes well from both hands & has a kicking game or best utility back JJ Hanrahan has left for Northampton ;(

Cheers for the feedback guys, hopefully Munster can drill in a more defensive and rounded game.. Because we need someone who can truck up the midfield that passes well from both hands & has a kicking game or best utility back JJ Hanrahan has left for Northampton ;(

Sorry MadFlava, but I wouldn't bank on Sai'ili being your guy.
Frankly, he had one good season then (like a lot of Auckland guys) got big headed after being selected in the ABs and stopped performing and dropped out of favour (eventually into the development team for a time).

This is no surprise really given what I have heard about player attitudes at the Blues. From what has been reported in the NZ Herald, a lot of the players have a "too cool for training" attitude.
And you can see it in the results. Blues were a mentally weak team. And their players deserve some of the blame that seemed solely to be aimed at Kirwan.
I hope Umaga can get these guys to work, because they seem like a bunch of primadonnas to me.

Culum Retallick is a huge loss for the blues, he may not be on the immediate All Black selection radar, partly because we have two of the best locks we've every had and maybe more locking depth than ever... but he probably was before his recent injury problems, he was a standout performer for the blues for a while. He should have been a player the blues could have started to rebuild around.

another massive hole to fill.

- - - Updated - - -

Saili is a beast, he was the best 12 in NZ for a while. and got a few tests when Nonu was injured and was solid. 2013 he was breaking the line at will, went through some form and injury issues but started to look pretty good again towards the end of the blues season. For a while he looked like the natural successor to Nonu, before Fekitoa came on the scene, the presence of Fekitoa and SBW for the All Blacks have seen him slip back in the pecking order a bit but he was still in frame.

Last edited:
Culum Retallick is a huge loss for the blues, he may not be on the immediate All Black selection radar, partly because we have two of the best locks we've every had and maybe more locking depth than ever... but he probably was before his recent injury problems, he was a standout performer for the blues for a while and believe it or not he's still only 24. He should have been a player the blues could have started to rebuild .

I don't believe it, Calum Retalick is 30. Brodie is 24.

This is no surprise really given what I have heard about player attitudes at the Blues. From what has been reported in the NZ Herald, a lot of the players have a "too cool for training" attitude.
And you can see it in the results. Blues were a mentally weak team. And their players deserve some of the blame that seemed solely to be aimed at Kirwan.
I hope Umaga can get these guys to work, because they seem like a bunch of primadonnas to me.

Correct me if wrong, but aren't there quite a few Blues players leaving? Do people think that the atmosphere/attitude might have been part of this - guys wishing to get out of a place holding them back from achieving their best?

Correct me if wrong, but aren't there quite a few Blues players leaving? Do people think that the atmosphere/attitude might have been part of this - guys wishing to get out of a place holding them back from achieving their best?

Yeah, the Blues is a bit of a sinking ship. I feel really bad for Umaga already.

Leaving:
Tight Five: Mealamu (retired), Woodcock (retired), Ta'avau (Waratahs), Calum Retalick (Rebels). That is three starters and a regular bench option.
Loose Forwards: Luke Braid (Bourdeax), Brendan O'Connor (Leicester Tigers) - first a second choice open side flankers.
Centres: Pita Ahkee (Hurricanes), Francis Sail'i (Munster) - both good players, luckily Rene Ranger coming back and with Moala at 2nd 5/6th they should be okay.
Outside Backs: Frank Halai (Wasps), Charles Piatau (Ulster).

So that's a total of 5 All Blacks. The real issue though is that there isn't really the depth to back it up. The Blues have some good prospects - West, McGahan and Hickey are three very promising 10s, but none of them are ready to be starting 10 for the Blues and I don't believe Dan Bowden is the answer there either (although he may be needed at 12). Patrick Tuipolotu is a rising star at lock, really good player, but then the next preference has been Hayden Triggs who is one of the worst locks in New Zealand in my opinion. At least Bekhuis is alright, but still not exceptional. There may be a temptation to see Luatua move to lock, as the 6/8 role is very well covered with Kaino and Ioane.

They are losing Luke Braid and Brendan O'Connor. On the bright side they have picked up one of the most promising 7s in the country in Blake Gibson, but he is still only 20 years old and probably a wee while away from being ready to start week in and week out. They have Gibson-Park and Bryn Hall who were both very exciting young talents, but haven't really stepped up (how much of that is Kirwan who can say?) - so the Blues relied on Jimmy Cowan...

The Blues have the fewest contracted players and will be relying on the ITM Cup to pick on-form players. No matter what happens they are going to be running a very inexperienced side - and so it's difficult to see them having a great season. I guess they're really relying on improvements over Kirwan. I'd still rather have seen Umaga wait a bit longer before getting this job though, I feel it would be an uphill battle for a very proven and experienced coach. Not an easy first gig.

Last edited:

Latest posts