• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2016: Two Argentine franchises will join the Super Rugby.

Superalexmarket

Bench Player
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Duendes
Agustin Pichot confirmed he was negotiating with SANZAR the incorporation of two Argentine franchises to Super Rugby. The expected date would be in 2016.
Pichot's proposal is expands SR worldwide, establishing franchises in Hong Kong, Namibia, Brazil, Spain and USA. And drive the games through the different time zones.

That's way too ambitious, I think. Pushing for three extra teams altogether would be the absolute limit, I'd imagine.

To go beyond that, in a hypothetical world, would require the competition to be split into two different divisions, which I don't think would be very desirable.

Already it is the competition with the most international travel in the world.

I can see them introducing a couple of Argentine teams (at most), a composite Pacific team and maybe a Japanese team. The others are too far away. It's a pipe dream, I'm afraid.

Travel would a real problem. Now an American conference paired with the African conference might work. Two teams in Argentina, one in Brazil, one in Chile / USA and one in Namibia might work out and would bring the African-American conference to 10 teams, just like the Down Under conference. Let them play 18 games in their own conference and perhaps 4 against teams from the other conference. Then play-offs.

I don't see why Spain would join this competition. Would make much more sense if a strong Spanish team joins the Heineken Cup.

Isn't there an American 'National Rugby League' starting ina year or two?

Argentine teams in Super Rugby is, in theory, a very good idea but I wonder how they'll match up to the existing franchises when most Argentinian internationals play in Europe.

To keep going down this road they'll have to split the competition into a H-Cup style competition as there is no way they can fit in yet another time zone. That said - that's what I proposed they should do for a long time (however I'd also say scrap the franchises and use the domestic leagues...).

if they do a H-cup style competition where teams qualify from a domestic leagues, i wonder what will the australian rugby union do? they did try doing a domestic league and proved unsuccessful, will they try doing a domestic league again.

There's too many proposals for joining countries leagues together. The entire non-European rugby world can't all logistically be in the same competition. Is France, England and Japan the only nations who can have their own league?

I think Argentina and North America both need to focus on getting themselves a professional domestic tournament and forget Super Rugby which struggles to work logistically as it is never mind adding a new whole host of countries.

like i said once, add 3 argentinian teams to SR, one in each confenrence to play in the regular schedule within the conference and then during the inter-conference games send them back to Argentina to have a little argentinian games.

There's too many proposals for joining countries leagues together. The entire non-European rugby world can't all logistically be in the same competition. Is France, England and Japan the only nations who can have their own league?

I think Argentina and North America both need to focus on getting themselves a professional domestic tournament and forget Super Rugby which struggles to work logistically as it is never mind adding a new whole host of countries.

Umm - the Currie Cup and ITM Cup are in fact professional domestic leagues...

Umm - the Currie Cup and ITM Cup are in fact professional domestic leagues...

They're not the same intensity as the Premiership or Top 14, though. Granted, they're above the Welsh Prem or All-Irish League, but some way off Heineken Cup/Super Rugby.

God I would hate this.
The S15 is already too big. Cut the Rabble and Farce and make it more competitive.
That, or a two-tiered tournament.
I'd like to see the South Sea Islanders, South and North Americans make a tournament together.

I miss the S14.

Latest posts