Will Stuart (Wasps)
Huw Taylor (Worcester Warriors)
Ollie Thorley (Gloucester Rugby)
Billy Walker (Saracens)
Jack Walker (Yorkshire Carnegie)
Tom West (Wasps)
Johnny Williams (London Irish)
Jack Willis (Wasps)

Strong squad, good to see Brophy-Clews, Evans, Mallinder, Marchant and Williams in there, should be a lot better than in the 6N.

Last edited:
Australia vs England - 3 Tests - June 2016

I believe so yeah.

Shame Townsend's fallen out of the squad completely at 9 despite playing when he was 18 and 19. He looked very good when he played last year before he got injured.

Wasn't sure if there was gonna be an "official" one made. Anyways thanks for moving this

As has been said... It's great to see the guys who have been playing senior rugby in there.

That, allied with Haag coming in bode well for a much better display than in the 6n.

Matt Gallagher is a name to watch out for got great feet and ability. He is also John Gallaghers son

Junior Springbok squad for World Rugby U20 Championship (in alphabetical order):
Tango Balekile (Hooker - Eastern Province)
Kwenzo Blose (Prop - Free State)
Curwin Bosch (Flyhalf / Fullback - Sharks)
Jan-Henning Campher (Hooker - Blue Bulls)
Zain Davids (Loose forward - Western Province)
Ruben de Villiers (Lock - Western Province)
Stedman Gans (Centre - Blue Bulls)
James Hall (Scrumhalf - Eastern Province Kings)
Denzel Hill (No 8 - Blue Bulls)
Jaco Holtzhausen (Prop - Blue Bulls)
JT Jackson (Centre - Blue Bulls)
Marco Jansen van Vuren (Scrumhalf - Golden Lions)
Manie Libbok (Flyhalf / Centre - Blue Bulls)
Mosolwa Mafuma (Wing - Free State)
Franco Naude (Centre - Blue Bulls)
S'busiso Nkosi (Wing - Sharks)
Nicolaas Oosthuizen (Prop - Eastern Province)
Embrose Papier (Scrumhalf - Blue Bulls)
Junior Pokomela (No 8 - Eastern Province, vice-captain)
Carlü Sadie (Prop - Western Province)
Eli Snyman (Lock - Blue Bulls)
Franco van den Berg (Prop - Blue Bulls)
Edwill van der Merwe (Wing - Western Province)
Ernst van Rhyn (Lock / Loose forward - Western Province, vice-captain)
Keanu Vers (Fullback Eastern Province)
Jeremy Ward (Centre - Eastern Province, captain)
Cobus Wiese (Loose forward - Western Province)
Eduard Zandberg (Lock - Western Province)

Unlike past years I don't recognize a single name so can't really comment. I havn't followed our age grade teams or any Varsity Cup rugby for a while now so I suppose I'm coming in blind. Certainly though in the past there were always 2 or 3 with some CC or SR experience.

The New Zealand Under 20 squad is:

FORWARDS
Prop
Ayden Johnstone Waikato
Shaun Stodart Otago
Sean Paranihi Canterbury
Alex Fidow Wellington
Sosefo Kautai Waikato

Hooker
Leni Apisai, captain Wellington/Hurricanes
Asafo Aumua Wellington

Lock
Quinten Strange Tasman
Hamish Dalzell Canterbury

Lock /Loose Forward
Isaia Walker-Leawere Wellington
Fin Hoeata Taranaki

Loose Forward
Mitchell Jacobson Waikato
Luke Jacobson Waikato
Dalton Papali'i Auckland
Marino Mikaele Tu'u Hawke's Bay
Hapakuki Moala-Liava'a North Harbour

BACKS
Halfback
Jonathan Taumateine Counties Manukau
Sam Nock Northland/Blues

First five-eighth
Stephen Perofeta Taranaki
TJ Va'a Wellington/Hurricanes

Midfield
Orbyn Leger Counties Manukau
Jordie Barrett Canterbury
Patelesio Tomkinson Otago/Highlanders

Midfield/wing
Jonah Lowe Hawke's Bay
Malo Tuitama Wellington

Outside back
Caleb Makene Canterbury
Shaun Stevenson Waikato/Chiefs
Jordan Trainor Waikato/Blues

Copy & Paste straight from their website..

Uhh, I don't know what to expect this year. Apisai obviously started for the Hurricanes whilst Coles and Matu'u were out. I didn't honestly know he was so young. The Perofeta kid, that got bought into my region, there were a lot of rumours about him in the build up to the start of the season. I saw him personally, first-hand, playing local rugby. There were and have been a lot of big name comparisons, and I hope I didn't catch him on an off day, because his team got stuffed tbh. He just didn't shine like I had expected, so heres hoping. Sam Nock is the St. Kents boy wonder halfback, who was signed by the Blues. I'd like to see him have a really good World Cup having not even being a feature for Umaga's side yet. I expect him to be one for the future.. Stevenson has already started for the Chiefs at just 19, I believe he'll be lethal for this team. Jordie Barrett, yes, another Barrett. He's been hailed as the younger brother that could be better than Beauden for the last couple of years. He'll be interesting to watch to determine if he's in the team for his last name, or his talent. He did have a good U19's national comp. Those are the ones I would suggest to watch, if someone asked me.

Hi TRF, Last year SA U20's were dominant in the group stage, destroying Australia and looked to have the best pack in the tournament.
But in the semi final, despite being quite strong favourites, lost to the English.
What do you make of their chances this year.
They seem to take the tournament pretty seriously, they even have this twitter page following the team https://twitter.com/JuniorBoks
They're in a group with France, Argentina and Japan. An opening game repeat with Japan just like the 2015 WC!-I somehow doubt there'll be a repeat upset though!
France are a good side, from what I watched, the best side in the U20 6 nations. If SA have decided not to pick any players with experience of Currie Cup/Super Rugby at all this year, i'm not sure they'll get through the group.
What are your thoughts? Cheers L

Hi TRF, Last year SA U20's were dominant in the group stage, destroying Australia and looked to have the best pack in the tournament.
But in the semi final, despite being quite strong favourites, lost to the English.
What do you make of their chances this year.
They seem to take the tournament pretty seriously, they even have this twitter page following the team https://twitter.com/JuniorBoks
They're in a group with France, Argentina and Japan. An opening game repeat with Japan just like the 2015 WC!-I somehow doubt there'll be a repeat upset though!
France are a good side, from what I watched, the best side in the U20 6 nations. If SA have decided not to pick any players with experience of Currie Cup/Super Rugby at all this year, i'm not sure they'll get through the group.
What are your thoughts? Cheers L

Well I think we will again be one of the better teams in this tournament like we usually are. Some of the players from last year will again be in the squad, and they have been showing a lot of promise with some very good results in their warm-ups against the university sides.

It's weird in that they haven't faced a lot of international opponents like they did the previous years and maybe this could either help them or be their downfall. One thing is for certain is that we have a very exciting backline and with Kerwin Bosch at flyhalf again, they will fire on all cylinders.

Georgia
Props
Tornike Mataradze (Aia Kutaisi)
Giorgi Melikidze (Stade Francais/FRA) - 2 caps
Nika Neparidze (ASM Clermont-Auvergne/FRA)
Lasha Tabidze (Union Bordeaux-Bègles/FRA)

Hookers
Luka Goginava (Locomotive Tbilisi)
Giorgi Khuroshvili (Armazi Tbilisi)
Lasha Sajaia (Jiki Gori)

Locks

Mikheil Babunashvili (Aia Kutiasi)
Demur Epremidze (Qochebi Bolnisi)
Giorgi Javakhia (Lyon/FRA)

Backrow

Otar Giorgadze (ASM Clermont-Auvergne/FRA) - 2 caps
Beka Gorgadze (Stade Montois/FRA) - 7 caps
Ilia Spanderashvili (Armia Tbilisi)
Giorgi Tsutskiridze (Brive/FRA)
Irakli Tkhadadze (Armazi Tbilisi)

Scrumhalves
Gela Aprasidze (Lelo Saracens Tbilisi)
Vasil Lobzhanidze (Armazi Tbilisi) - 15 caps

Flyhalves
Davit Modzgvrishvili (Academia Tbilisi)
Rati Shanidze (Lelo Saracens Tbilisi)

Centres
Sandro Iluridze (Academia Tbilisi)
Giorgi Koshadze (Kharebi Rustavi)
Guram Kandaurashvili (Kharebi Rustavi)

Wingers
Giorgi Kveseladze (Iunkerebi Kiketi)
Davit Meskhi (Armia Tbilisi)
Lado Miminoshvili (Jiki Gori)

Fullbacks
Sandro Merkvilishvili (Armia Tbilisi)
Mirian Modebadze (Aia Kutaisi)
Irakli Svanidze (Jiki Gori) - 1 cap

Last edited:
Well I think we will again be one of the better teams in this tournament like we usually are. Some of the players from last year will again be in the squad, and they have been showing a lot of promise with some very good results in their warm-ups against the university sides.

It's weird in that they haven't faced a lot of international opponents like they did the previous years and maybe this could either help them or be their downfall. One thing is for certain is that we have a very exciting backline and with Kerwin Bosch at flyhalf again, they will fire on all cylinders.

I have a lot of respect for Dawie Theron and he told reporters that he feels this is the best junior side he has coached particularly in terms of their handling and I thought "Ah, okay, a pleasant surprise these youngsters then". Then just after the first warm-up he says there were a lot of positives but he is frustrated by the amount of unforced errors particularly handling errors. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

seeing as nobody has posted ours yet

Wales’ World Rugby U20 Championship squad

Forwards

Tom Phillips (captain, Scarlets)
Rhys Fawcett (Scarlets)
Corey Domachowski (Blues)
Leon Brown (Dragons)
Kieron Assiratti (Blues),
Dillon Lewis (Blues)
Liam Belcher (Blues)
Dafydd Hughes (Scarlets)
Adam Beard (Ospreys)
Seb Davies (Blues)
Shane Lewis-Hughes (Blues)
Shaun Evans (Scarlets)
Harrison Keddie (Dragons)
Morgan Sieniawski (Blues)
Josh Macleod (Scarlets)

Backs
Reuben Morgan-Williams (Ospreys)
Declan Smith (Scarlets), Daniel Jones (Scarlets)
Billy McBryde (Scarlets)
Jarrod Evans (Blues)
Kieran Williams (Ospreys)
Joe Thomas (Ospreys)
Harri Millard (Blues)
Tom Williams (Ospreys)
George Gasson (Dragons)
Keelan Giles (Ospreys)
Rhun Williams (RGC 1404)
Joe Gage (Ospreys)

Only 2 players are in the squad again. I've got a feeling this years Junior Boks might be a fair bit weaker than in previous years but we shall see.

I went on a school tour to SA in Summer 2013 with my school, and the standard of school rugby is just astonishing. We put away some English speaking schools, but the minute we played any Afrikaans schools in Cape Town we got absolutely thrashed. The size and physicality of the first team players out there is astonishing.

I'll post the pools

Pool A
New Zealand
Wales
Ireland
Georgia - promoted from World Rugby Trophy

Pool B
England
Australia
Scotland
Italy

Pool C
South Africa
France
Argentina
Japan

Wales did the grand slam and are an impressive side. But France I thought were the strongest side in the U20 six nations this year. England have a number of premiership stars playing like Harry Mallinder so will put on a much better show than they did in the 6 nations.

NZ beat Australia U20's recently, but then lost the rematch a few weeks later. I think this Australia U20 side look stronger than in previous years, and NZ will probably be favourites for the tournament. I'm not sure the Junior Boks are as strong this year as the last 2 years where they had Pollard, Kriel, and last year a monstrous pack.

NZ will win Group A, England will edge out Australia in Group B, and I've got a feeling France could top Group C ahead of South Africa.
Either Australia or SA will get the best runners up spot.

I'd be interested to see how the bookies are pricing the tournament this year though. Last year's odds were very random.

One week the bookies had England as 10 point favourites over France in the group, then after France beat England, the bookies decided England were rubbish.
For the semi final the bookies had South Africa as 9 point favourites over England, and England won quite comfortably.

I think there's definitely big money to be made with close analysis of each team.

Wales did the grand slam and are an impressive side. But France I thought were the strongest side in the U20 six nations this year. England have a number of premiership stars playing like Harry Mallinder so will put on a much better show than they did in the 6 nations.

NZ beat Australia U20's recently, but then lost the rematch a few weeks later. I think this Australia U20 side look stronger than in previous years, and NZ will probably be favourites for the tournament. I'm not sure the Junior Boks are as strong this year as the last 2 years where they had Pollard, Kriel, and last year a monstrous pack.

NZ will win Group A, England will edge out Australia in Group B, and I've got a feeling France could top Group C ahead of South Africa.
Either Australia or SA will get the best runners up spot.

I'd be interested to see how the bookies are pricing the tournament this year though. Last year's odds were very random.

One week the bookies had England as 10 point favourites over France in the group, then after France beat England, the bookies decided England were rubbish.
For the semi final the bookies had South Africa as 9 point favourites over England, and England won quite comfortably.

I think there's definitely big money to be made with close analysis of each team.

SA had a very flawed team last year. I didn't watch the games, but I watched all of their 8 minute highlight packages. Absolutely amazing forwards with a useless backline. This year I get the feeling the focus is more on our backline than our forwards, but that is based on Curwin Bosch being pretty darn good, he is definitely our star player.

If you are interested in reading a bit more about the teams or getting more info on the players for any betting purposes, take a look at this page, it reports on their warm up matches:
http://www.rugby15.co.za/category/i...uth-africa-u20-irb-junior-world-championship/
As you can see most of the tries are coming from the backs, with Bosch racking up 34 points in one of the games.

Latest posts