• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

2023-2024 transfers

Ah well good to know. If he's as bad as you say he is he won't last long,but all the best to him. We usually box clever with the academy. Take Alex Wooton as an example of a promising IQ guy we identified and lured over. Leicester showing up to gamedays in a single clown car aside I do feel Betts fell through for us. If he's useful he will come back to Ireland but not necessarily to us. In response to @snoopy snoopy dog dog we're being heavily linked with Wilco Louw of the Stormers so a slow academy burner would do us for now.

All Munster need is for him to be better than Stephen Archer. If that's the case, he'll improve their first choice 23.
Well add in John Ryan has made great progress and is likely to miss time due to Ireland. Archie is prone to injury too so it will be great to see if he can grasp it. I wouldn't put pressure on him as other prospects have came in similar circumstances and failed.

All Munster need is for him to be better than Stephen Archer. If that's the case, he'll improve their first choice 23.
Well add in John Ryan has made great progress and is likely to miss time due to Ireland. Archie is prone to injury too so it will be great to see if he can grasp it. I wouldn't put pressure on him as other prospects have came in similar circumstances and failed.

On Betts he will be a star. Guaranteed.

Will Fraser: Saracens --> Retirement

Unfortunate for the guy, buy much like Corbs... he's simply too fragile. Being physically resilient is just as much a requirement as being a gifted athlete for a professional player.
Been on the cards for a long time.

Unlucky for him and Sarries.

No doubt they will replace him with some serious quality.

It's just occurred to me that he's essentially swapped with Underhill.

Biggar > Northampton now confirmed for 18/19 season.

What does this mean for Wales then? Doesn't 'Gatland's law' say they're only picking a maximum of 2 players who don't play for a Welsh team?

So that'll be 2 from Biggar, Webb (apparently), Faletau, North, Liam Williams etc... o_O

I thought Gatland's Law was about only picking 2 who refused a Welsh central contract - so the likes of Charteris weren't offered one in the first place; whilst Faletau (and quite possibly Biggar) signed so far ahead as to side-step the issue; by signing before their central contracts were up for discussion.

I thought Gatland's Law was about only picking 2 who refused a Welsh central contract - so the likes of Charteris weren't offered one in the first place; whilst Faletau (and quite possibly Biggar) signed so far ahead as to side-step the issue; by signing before their central contracts were up for discussion.

Oh OK, I didn't realise that. I knew that the players who were already playing outside of Wales when the 'law' came into place were exempt from it but I thought every move after that would have to be to a Welsh side. A bit less black & white than what I thought.

Last edited:
Having Hook, Sam Davies and Biggar in the same Ospreys squad at the same time now seems /slightly/ less bizarre. I'd expect Biggar to get the least game time out of the three unless he can demonstrate clear superiority.

What does this mean for Wales then? Doesn't 'Gatland's law' say they're only picking a maximum of 2 players who don't play for a Welsh team?

So that'll be 2 from Biggar, Webb (apparently), Faletau, North, Liam Williams etc... o_O

I think the number is 4 for the 18/19 season, dropping to 2 for the 19/20 season.

I don't think that'll be the case. Faletau was captured this year, and Biggar was offered an extension to his national dual contract so will almost certainly be captured.

Personally I don't see it as a big issue. IMO both Sam Davies and Rhys Patchell have the potential to be better players than Biggar, certainly more attacking 10's. Davies struggled at the tail end of last season behind a beaten pack so it'll be interesting to see how he bounces back this season. It'll also be interesting to see how the O's manage Biggar's departure, do they start Sam Davies in the big games knowing that he'll be their main guy next season? Patchell imo has the all round game to be a world class 10 or 2nd 5/8th, expecting a big season from him this year, especially with Stephen Jones mentoring him at the Scarlets and a licence to thrill under Pivac!

Dan Richmond (scrum) and Jon Callard (kicking) have joined the Sale coaching staff.

Pretty sure they both did,
I imagine this is them going from consultants to full time for paperwork reasons or something
Plus something to distract from last week's result. Wonder what this week's announcement will be?

Pat Lambie to Racing Metro. He has enough caps to be selected for the Springboks. Hopefully this signing is a mark of confidence in his medical issues with his head and a change of scenery brings a change of luck.

Or, conversely, he's hoping to make as much cash as possible because he knows he's only a tap away from retirement.

Latest posts